Sent it back :-(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sent it back :-(

Well I did it and sent back my CoPilot GPS app. I got frustrated with not being able to embed the whole app because the Window name was unknown. I am now using MapMonkey reluctantly for now. I love the app but the problem is the maps are too small and switching maps all the time is a real pain. Would be great if one big map could be used for North America. Maybe when the PC version comes out this will work as hoped. Also the Canadian maps are pretty incomplete so maybe this will improve as well.

Chuck

Originally posted by chuckster
    Well I did it and sent back my CoPilot GPS app. I got frustrated with not being able to embed the whole app because the Window name was unknown. I am now using MapMonkey reluctantly for now. I love the app but the problem is the maps are too small and switching maps all the time is a real pain. Would be great if one big map could be used for North America. Maybe when the PC version comes out this will work as hoped. Also the Canadian maps are pretty incomplete so maybe this will improve as well.

Chuck
    Have you tried FreeDrive yet ? it's got pretty big maps.. You could have used Copilot non-embedded, but you'd have to exit from it everytime you wanted to do something in RR or any other front end.. I have added quite a bit of support for finding windows even without any title, of course there are times it just won't work but most of the time there's a way... It's hard to be able to help you without the software to try and exam it myself ...
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Freedrive and mapmonkey use the same maps.. but they're split up into 7 or so regions across the US of A.

To use it as one big map, you have to purchase another addon thta includes all the "major roads" across the US.. If you live in the middle of a region, and rarely leave the region, it's not a big deal, but if you live on hte border of a region or travel outside a region often, I can see how this would suck.

Comment

i have copilot laptop 7 and used resource hacker on it to resize it for more map space on a 1000x600 resolution, and i remember also being able to make it a windowed app. it wasn't like other windows though because you could not move or resize it. i think i was able to minimize it though. it's been a while but when i have some time i'll try to find my old discs and hacked files.

i've been using iguidance which i think a lot of us US people are using, and have been happy with it except for the fact that the osk is so small. Netsuo has been developing neocar which has a nice osk but it's pretty buggy as far as embedding iguidance goes. any chance roadrunner will have an osk that will work with embedded apps like iguidance?
        my car: 2003 g35 coupe, 2.5ghz c2d cpu, gigabyte micro atx mb, dsatx
        wife's car: 2004 honda accord coupe 2.4ghz p4 cpu, asus micro atx mb, opus 150
        company car: 2006 chevy avalanche 2.0ghz p4 laptop, cnx p1900

Comment

Originally posted by guino
          It's hard to be able to help you without the software to try and exam it myself ...
          Well CoPilot does have a 30 day money back guarantee. That's what I did. I bought it, tried it, loved it but...., and then sent it back. Takes a few weeks for the money to be returned but I'm getting all my money back.

Tough part is parting with the cash up front but if you can swing it just for a trial period then you will be able to get your money back if returned within 30 days of purchase.

kuo, I assume this was before embedding though right? Do you remember if in windowed mode there was an actual window name that may be used for embedding?

Thanks,
          Chuck

Comment

not sure I have the extra $$$ to spare for this trial right now.. maybe later..

Also, I was unaware copilot was available in the US.. I tried to find it before, without success.

I intend to add OSK for any enbbeded Application, problem being, the OSK's from Mediacar use the entire screen, so you woudn't see where you're typing.. and I want to be able to use ALT/CTRL/SHIFT too, so I'll need a smaller keyboard at some point..
            Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
            "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

if i remember correctly the window name was blank but i think you can change or add the name using resource hacker.

if the osk can be skinned for size and position, as long as it stays on top of the window with focus, it would be very useable and would solve a problem that many have with the small keyboard in iguidance.

by the way, i've been playing around with your program and it rocks. a donation will be on the way shortly.

the only buggy part i have run across so far is the video player. i crash out of rr every now and then when trying to play videos.

can the video player support having 2 directories to store videos in? for example, one folder on the hard drive and the other folder specified as the cd drive so that you can store movies on cd as well as on the hd.

the only other function i think would be really great to have is the ability to run programs on resume, like with frodoplayer and also like what navivoice does with iguidance on resume.

i modified a 800x480 version of the brushed metal skin last night that i will post soon.
              my car: 2003 g35 coupe, 2.5ghz c2d cpu, gigabyte micro atx mb, dsatx
              wife's car: 2004 honda accord coupe 2.4ghz p4 cpu, asus micro atx mb, opus 150
              company car: 2006 chevy avalanche 2.0ghz p4 laptop, cnx p1900

Comment

Originally posted by kuo
                by the way, i've been playing around with your program and it rocks. a donation will be on the way shortly.

the only buggy part i have run across so far is the video player. i crash out of rr every now and then when trying to play videos.

can the video player support having 2 directories to store videos in? for example, one folder on the hard drive and the other folder specified as the cd drive so that you can store movies on cd as well as on the hd.

the only other function i think would be really great to have is the ability to run programs on resume, like with frodoplayer and also like what navivoice does with iguidance on resume.
                Thanks,

You still have problems with crash on video ? I really believe this is a MPC problem.. I'd tried playing with it's settings a bit to see..

Abou the video directories, this has been suggested. I'm just thinking how to do that.. Also intend to allow for audio browsing on CD/Pen Drive etc.

How does this run on resume works ? do you mean on resume playing music or what ? let me know, I have no idea of how such feature works in other apps cause I've never really used them all that well.. whatever it is, shoudn't be so hard to add..
                Ride Runner RR's Myspace

Comment

Originally posted by kuo
                  i have copilot laptop 7 and used resource hacker on it to resize it for more map space on a 1000x600 resolution, and i remember also being able to make it a windowed app. it wasn't like other windows though because you could not move or resize it. i think i was able to minimize it though. it's been a while but when i have some time i'll try to find my old discs and hacked files.

i've been using iguidance which i think a lot of us US people are using, and have been happy with it except for the fact that the osk is so small. Netsuo has been developing neocar which has a nice osk but it's pretty buggy as far as embedding iguidance goes. any chance roadrunner will have an osk that will work with embedded apps like iguidance?
                  I messed around with my friends CoPilot and Resource Hacker. I found the window name but it will not embed the guidance screen. I can embed the welcome screen but once I select Guidance it only shows a Black box outlining RR's GPS screen but no image. Very strange. So I changed the Caption name for the Welcome Screen to be "Guidance" and I changed the Caption name for the Guidance screen to be "Guidance" as well thinking maybe if the captions are the same it may embed. Well I had no luck.

I don't think it will be possible to embed the guidance screen. I'm glad I sent it back now because I prefer an integrated look.

Would you have any ideas of maybe what to look for. I was able to to put the Guidance screen into a window frame as well but still unable to embed. Something strange about the way the application is coded. Even embedding the Welcome screen is not perfect because it seems that the screen are all images. When compressed into an embedd window the images overlap each other instead of adjusting to the smaller window.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by chuckster
                    I messed around with my friends CoPilot and Resource Hacker. I found the window name but it will not embed the guidance screen. I can embed the welcome screen but once I select Guidance it only shows a Black box outlining RR's GPS screen but no image. Very strange. So I changed the Caption name for the Welcome Screen to be "Guidance" and I changed the Caption name for the Guidance screen to be "Guidance" as well thinking maybe if the captions are the same it may embed. Well I had no luck.

I don't think it will be possible to embed the guidance screen. I'm glad I sent it back now because I prefer an integrated look.

Would you have any ideas of maybe what to look for. I was able to to put the Guidance screen into a window frame as well but still unable to embed. Something strange about the way the application is coded. Even embedding the Welcome screen is not perfect because it seems that the screen are all images. When compressed into an embedd window the images overlap each other instead of adjusting to the smaller window.

Chuck
                    This sounds like a "badly" made, non-resizable application. If we can find the main window, maybe the best choice is to add a "hovering" button that when pressed would switch back to RR, that way you could still run it Full Screen, and switch around to other screens when needed, then on closing the app, RR would also come back.
                    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

Comment

Originally posted by guino
                      This sounds like a "badly" made, non-resizable application. If we can find the main window, maybe the best choice is to add a "hovering" button that when pressed would switch back to RR, that way you could still run it Full Screen, and switch around to other screens when needed, then on closing the app, RR would also come back.

There are a few main windows. It starts with a window called [WelcomeForm] and then it will go to [In-Vehicle Route Guidance] screen which is the guidance screen. If you want to planning mode then that screen is named [CoPilot Live - Map detail level 12 of 12 (0)].

A hovering control button might be a good compromise for this unscalable app.

Thanks,
                      Chuck

Comment

Bump...

Guino, any further consideration of putting a "hovering button" like that described above into RR to allow switching between CoPilot and RR? Also, I'd be happy to send you a copy of CoPilot to help you develop some solution, as the software requires both an installation code AND online registration to keep it working beyond 30 days without a reinstall, and so it's not really that pirateable...

Gregory

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

parksgm, check out XBrady's Alt Tab program. Works great with CoPilot I found.

http://www.mp3car.biz/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38823

Comment

Perfect...I'll check it out. Again, thanks for the help!

Gregory

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Some people have posted in the past that co-pilot includes an on-screen keyboard? I've been using the program for about a month now and haven't been able to find it..
                              Lexus GS300
                              Old setup - 10.4 non-touch, Media Center 2005, Biostar M7NCG, AMD Duron 1ghz, M1-ATX
                              ..Moving on to something MORE PRACTICAL :)

Comment

Working...
                              X