Optimising of skins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimising of skins

Not noticed anything about this in the documentation so I thought I might as well ask...

Are there any ways which we can make the load of road runner quicker?

For example, in the skin definition the first jpg to be specified is for 'empty', can i replace my current 'blah_off.jpg' screen with a 1x1 pixel jpg which would be mega fast at loading? Or is the 'empty' screen even used (in which case I'll remove the empty screens which I've actually produced)..

Would it be worth my while blanking out all the 'non hotspot' areas on the blah_ON.jpg and blah_DOWN.jpg images so the overall memory usage is lower?

I'm doing a selection of things which I think would help the speed already - these include:
    - Removal of all the commented out lines in the .skin files (i know programatically its very easy to move onto the next line after examining the first few chars but this is VB we are talking about :P )
    - Keeping of indicator hotspots as small as possible
    - No compression on any of the JPGs (but thats mainly for quality)..

I'm also going to remove any references to screens not being used on my skin (i.e. no radio, phone control etc)..

Ta

Ash

I find those changes will have unoticeble effects on load speed of RR. Factor that will definitely decrease the load time of RR are:

-Use Built In Gamma
    -Don't use BLA_EMPTY.JPG files, make it load the _OFF screena instead (which will be faster because of disk cache) -- The _EMpty screens are only to allow removal of buttons you don't wish to use.
    -Use Winamo 2.9x (it loads quite a bit faster), and don't set any skin (use default), if using winamp 5, use the classic default skin.
    -Remove any unused winamp plugins (RR actually needs to wait for winamp to fully load

The avove are the only things I can think of to speed up the loading of RR.

I just don't understand what is all the fuss about the speed.. have you ever used MediaCar ??
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Oh yeah, I'm not complaining - but my job is going through peoples code pointing out where it can be optimised - so I'm a bit of a speed/efficiency freak :P

Comment

Originally posted by Ashthos
        Oh yeah, I'm not complaining - but my job is going through peoples code pointing out where it can be optimised - so I'm a bit of a speed/efficiency freak :P
        Had I know, I'd have written everything in pure ASM... but then you'd not have 10% of what you have now ready... VB is definitely way faster development time..

I must say I'm also very concerned with performance, but then that's the reason why RR is quite a bit faster than MediaCar.
        Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
        "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

RR works perfect for me and no speed issues, my main speed issue comes with the naff EPIA 800Mhz I've got - nothing to do with the software.

Just a shame my screen has turned a permanent greeny colour!!!

Comment

Working...
          X