Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoco - not for now...

Hi Guys,

I got ahold of Hematec's code and was having a go with it, but at this moment I have decided to pretty much abandon my phoco integration project to RR...

My reasons are basically:
    - I think guino can do a much better job, and he has access to PhoCo's SDK (if you dont have it I can get you hooked up but I think you already have it)
    - I think guino would end up re-doing the whole thing if I even did integreate it so I dont think it would warrant all the effort...
    - I'm really pressed for time these days with work+school...
    - I'm more willing to put up a substantial donation to Guino for this... Maybe others can chip in just for the phoco to gain more priority (like he did with MapPoint)
    - Hematec's code seems to be a re-work of the phoco sdk, which I would have adapted more straightforwardly.... It seems that hematec has more code than is really necessary with the SDK, which I would have used. I'm not sure if hematec even used the full phoco sdk...
    - I cant for the life of me get to understand the inner workings of the skin system, it is jsut I have been away from VB for so long it just doesnt make much sense...

- So basically, Guino, I'm not going to be able to work on this for some time, do you think you will get down to this?

- If we get a donation pool, can you raise priority on this?

- Is anyone else interested in working on this?

I can hook anyone up with the SDK by contacting Zorro. It is basically a fully functioning version of Phoco, but it works from within VB, with a class. No need to use XML and other stuff directly I think, the class does everything with just procedures like Phoco.Dial("5551212") or Phoco.SendSMS, etc, etc...
    Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
    Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

I have the Phoco SDK as well as Hematec's code.. he has made a few nice things onto it, but there are some things that are better off changed.. the skin portion of it has hardly anything at all at this time, BUT it's fairly easy to add.. I will not work on this until I'm done with MapPoint, but I believe that'd be the very next thing to work on..

The Biggest Thing I'd like to see is to to get rid of that damn dependency to MSXML2.6 .. I can't stand OCX modules, they're big, they give users a lot of problems, and what sucks the most, they have to be shipped with the software... If there was any way, somebydy would simply parse the XML messages from Phoco directly with VB code that'd be great.. if not, then I guess we're stuck with that OCX.

When I do get to it, I intend to review both Hematec's code and Phoco's class to see what I should do.. I will most definitely need to work with someone to test this stuff..
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Hi Guino,

I can definitely help you test it out as PhoneControl is working in my car with my phone... (On my computer however, due to a bluetooth problem with the builtin bt of my computer, I couldnt get it to worked, which was one more reason to chicken-out of developing the phoco extension)...

Come on guino, no numbers to help define a "substantial" donation?
      Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
      Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

If also my help can be useful, I am available for the Testing
        Fabio

RoadRunner - PC Navigator 7.1 - FreeFone

Comment

Originally posted by guino
          The Biggest Thing I'd like to see is to to get rid of that damn dependency to MSXML2.6 .. I can't stand OCX modules, they're big, they give users a lot of problems, and what sucks the most, they have to be shipped with the software... If there was any way, somebydy would simply parse the XML messages from Phoco directly with VB code that'd be great.. if not, then I guess we're stuck with that OCX.
          Sure, you can parse XML messages with VB not using XML-DOM, but honestly, I wouldn't do that. The 2 main reasons are:
          1. It could get very complex
          2. It sure will be an performance issue

I've checked the SDK's compatibility on MSXML 3 (right know MSXML 4 is referenced) and it's working well with the older version (not sure about 2.6).
          This version you don't have to install. It's part of the IE so it's supposed to be installed everywhere you have IE 5, 5.5 or 6 (what should be the case for 98% of all computers). Bottom line is: You don't have to ship it.

The other thing you need is the MSWINSCK.OCX, which is more or less a wrapper to the WinInet lib. So, it wouldn't make much sense to make a own wrapper.

If you don't want to spend too much time on the PhoCo plugin, do this:
          - Make a VB Form
          - Run PhoCo in the background (see: http://zhorvat.dyndns.org/PCForums/S...spx?ForumID=46)
          - Call the Phoco.Show(...) method and pass the handle of your Form to it

PhoCo then will set itself as a child of this Form. Then you only have to monitor the IncomingCall / InCall messages to know when to mute the player.

Skinning and stuff can be done in PhoCo's VisualDesigner
          Skinning to go... VisualDesigner2!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.. I'll definitely keep the MSXML3 reference then.. regarding Winsock, I already have a wrapper for it.. ends up much smaller and without any requirements while providing the same exact functions of the OCX. The benefit from having Phoco integrated to the skins comes in when trying to control it from multiple screens -- that is, without having to switch screens...

Thanks again..
            Guino.
            Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
            "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

This may be a moot point now - Zorro has decided to take the entire PhoneControl project down. Not quite sure why yet.
              Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
              Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
              Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Comment

it would be great to integrate phoco into RR, one thing i have a problem with is that phoco dont run on nlited versions of XP Pro, well my nlite settings dont work in my case, maybe someone knows the reason why, i gave up after 22 versions of nlite tweaking. but just to make a point, nlite versions are good since they boot faster, i have considerable improvement in my boot times now from like 1 minute give and take from win 2000 pro to about 15 to 20 seconds on nlite xp pro sp 2.
                7" Lilliput
                Opus 150
                mini itx 1Ghz
                1GB sdram
                97 Prelude

Comment

What are your hibernate resume times? Is it really worth it? I have a full OS install which resumes from hibernate in ~20 seconds - 15 seconds of which are in the crappy BIOS screens. With a good BIOS, that'd be 4 seconds tops giving me a resume time of under 10 seconds.

Comment

aw man i just noticed that too, what happened to phoco and will we have an alternative? I sorta built a carpc for music and bt integration via roadrunner grrr. I already had nav video on my screen etc etc.

Peep MY TYTE WHIP yo! It's got too many ill mods to list!

Comment

Grrr,
                      this man Hunka27 annoying me!
                      --> http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...7&page=7&pp=15

Winni

Comment

This is a bit off topic, but will there be support for the BlackBerry 7100t?
                        2004 Freelander HSE | Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen| Via M10000 | 256 MB | 120 GB | DVD player | TN-200 | Opus 150watt |Windows XP Pro | Media Car | Routis & Destinator

Comment

I think this isn't offtopic at all, because if Phoco isn't developed anymore, no new mobile phones will be supported and no new features added. So I don't expect that there is a support for the Blackberry 7100t at the moment.

Winni

Comment

so basically those of us who have the trial and were going to buy the real version are SOL now?

Alternatives? Is there even other software like phoco out there?
                            Peep MY TYTE WHIP yo! It's got too many ill mods to list!

Comment

SMS support looked easy enough. It's just a text based command set to parse and generate the SMS messages. Since PhoCo hung with 100% cpu usage with my phone, I was thinking of writing something to do that piece. Microsoft has also release a power toy to interact with phones to do SMS but it looked to be less functional than the abilities I'd discovered with my phone during manual playing around in a modem terminal session with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X