MapPoint or MapMonkey in RR?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MapPoint or MapMonkey in RR?

quick question about Map Point 2004 vs. Map Monkey 1.1.3 in RR... what do u guys prefer? which gives better directions and shows more POI's? thanks! im trying to decide whether i should install MapPoint on my carpc...
    '05 Acura TL w/ Navi & Bluetooth, JL Audio Cleansweep, JL Audio XR650 CSI, JL Audio XR650 CXI, JL Audio 300/4 Speaker Amp, Eclipse SW6123.4 12" Sub, JL Audio 250/1 Sub Amp, Optima D35 YellowTop Battery http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2184473/1

MapPoint is good for printing off routes but really sucks for GPS. It really doen't do directions, it just shows you as a blip on the map. MM however directs you, counts down to tuens etc etc. No comparison.

Comment

ukchris... have you seen what guino has done with MapPoint in RR? he made it that much better... check it out! let me know what you think after you investigate
      '05 Acura TL w/ Navi & Bluetooth, JL Audio Cleansweep, JL Audio XR650 CSI, JL Audio XR650 CXI, JL Audio 300/4 Speaker Amp, Eclipse SW6123.4 12" Sub, JL Audio 250/1 Sub Amp, Optima D35 YellowTop Battery http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2184473/1

Comment

i prefer mappoint, you should see how its integrated in autotouch.. better directions and gps imo. Can't wait for RR to improve on it =D

Comment

vonfulk... how is Map Point in RR so far? what are the downfalls? and what do you think needs to be added? i have only been using Map Monkey and the only good thing about MM is the "embedded look" with RR, but the directions are horrible! thanks

Comment

vonfulk... could u possibly take some snapshots of the map and turn directions from your carpc (assuming its in RR)? i might switch over to MapPoint if i like what i see!

Comment

It really varies of where and what you want.. Mappoing has good maps and POI info, but the directions are not that well up-to date.. also it doesn't offer a "night" mode or heading up map (map rotation). I like mappoint mainly because the controls are directly on RR's skin -- althought that can be improved.
              Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
              "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

i dont minde the night mode option... but would it be possible to do the rotation in RR? just wondering thanks bud

So besides night mode and rotation, what else does Map Monkey do that Map Point cannot?

Comment

Nothing I know of, maybe the SIRF GPS stuff (never tried it). I have looked into rotating the maps in mappoint -- even saw a "future" product that offers such feature but I think it's really stupid for the simple fact that rotating mappoint's map get all the labels and symbols updside down and such, specially when you're driving straight south.. not to say the performance and requirements it would add to RR (either GDI+ or DirectX), so just dumped the idea altogether, it's not worth it...
                  Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                  "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

the reason i asked is cause the conventional GPS systems in cars rotate maps, so i thought it would be odd to not have that option, thanks

Comment

Sorry, no screenshots I pulled the pc out of the car (swapping some parts/making a new lcd frame)

The only thing that (imo) destinator has over mappoint is looks. I used mappoint with autotouch since december and its great (even has turn by turn screens- something i wanna put into the RR skin i'm workin on). Also, I love how you can search for a place such as ''Stevens Creek resevoir'' and then route it. Directions have always been accurate, at least for me.

Comment

Could you utilize Streets and Trips 2005? The GPS mode auto rotates and since you're doing all the custom directions/gps stuff in RR maybe you could do the same in S&T?? OR does Mappoint give you something that S&T doesn't have?
                        CarPC v2: Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT, DW Housing, IBM R40, GPS, XM, StreetDeck

Comment

Streets and Trips does NOT have a SDK interface, therefor it can't be controlled like Mappoint can. You can run it embbeded, but good luck using the small buttons.
                          Ride Runner RR's Myspace

Comment

I figured it was something like that, I think I hit a nerve...
                            CarPC v2: Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT, DW Housing, IBM R40, GPS, XM, StreetDeck

Comment

Originally posted by guino
                              It really varies of where and what you want.. Mappoint has good maps and POI info, but the directions are not that well up-to date.. also it doesn't offer a "night" mode or heading up map (map rotation). I like mappoint mainly because the controls are directly on RR's skin -- althought that can be improved.

What do you mean by "but the directions are not that well up-to date"... i thought the maps are better in MapPoint? Not to mention you can install Streets& Trips2k5 maps into Mappoint 2k4 easily (and i believe Mappoint 2006 is comin in the next couple of months, so that would be awesome to be able to integrate that into RR as well!)

Also, if anyone could post some screenshots of MapPoint running in RR, i would appreciate it! thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X