RR Interchange - Update RR via a USB Media Stick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR Interchange - Update RR via a USB Media Stick

RR Interchange - Update RR via USB Media Stick.
    ----------------------------------------------

RR Interchange is designed to allow the updating of RR via a USB Media Stick.

It detects the insertion of a media stick and copies everything from the rr folder on the stick to the Road Runner path (It automatically detects it).

It will be expanded soon to allow you to copy music and other media at the same time and there will also be a desktop app to download and extract RR to a USB Stick.

On insertion of the Stick, the app will automatically close RoadRunner, copies all updates then restarts Road Runner, if no RR folder exists the Interchange does nothing. You currently need to download RoadRunnerBinary.zip from Guinos site and extract to the RR folder on the USB stick.

Be aware, that RR Interchange won't work currently if Road Runner is set to be your shell, this will be fixed asap.

Please let me know if you have any problems, be aware that this is nowhere near the complete app, its work in progress, hope this helps.

Download - http://skins.mpug.co.uk/interchange.zip

This is a great idea, it's exactly what I need for my car, I didn't put in a WIFI card to keep the cost down.

I'll try it out Monday and let you know. I presume this will work with normal USB flash pens as well merrorysticks (SONY only).

Cheers good work!
    -R

Comment

Cool, very useful... can you make it so it will also support phonecontrol, freedrive, mapmonkey... if it is easy to add additional dirs, that is...

it can then sense which of the 4 (RR,phoco,freedrive,mm) if any are on the stick and update all of them? (phoco and MM might not work cause if I recall their updates are on exe packages)...

As for the way it works have you given any try at doing an autostart program that sits on the stick itself? so when you stick it to the USB windows starts the autostart program on the usb stick... noneed for anything on the compter?
      Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
      Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

It will work with any USB Flash drive

Comment

RoYN, I'm hoping to make it a full app for all frontends and support software etc. I think the way I'll make it run is to have a small app on the carPC which in turn runs an app from the USB device which is placed on there by a desktop app, therefore can be updated everytime data is placed on the USB Device.

I'm hoping it will grow and grow, need ideas from you guys as I go though.

Comment

Phoco and MM shouldn't be too difficult to do, as long as the releases are always like that, I'll just run them as if they are running in an unattend XP CD.

I also need to ask Guino if he will update a page with the latest update date so I can have a systray app on the desktop pop saying that there is a new update :-)

Comment

wouldnt autostart work better tho? or at least just as well? I have tested and autostart works on removeable media too... the idea is to just be able to install antyhing on any machine just by popping the stick in...
              Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
              Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

I'll certainly test it and see

Comment

Good idea.

As I sit at my desk reading the forum, waiting for the latest version of RR to copy to my memory stick...

Comment

nice one..
                    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Originally posted by guino
                      nice one..
                      Any chance of when an update is done you could update a txt file on your website for me so I can check for new versions etc in the desktop app? That way the app will know there is a new version and alert the user to download it to their USB device.

Comment

Ummm.. I always update the download.htm file.. I don't change it's format so you could use that.. I think what drait did on the updater tool is to check the file date on the server.. You may want to talk to him to see how he did it.. if anything I can easily make the txt file.. it's just one more thing to update..
                        Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                        "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Will try to check the filedate on the server to save you an extra job.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyN
                            wouldnt autostart work better tho? or at least just as well? I have tested and autostart works on removeable media too... the idea is to just be able to install antyhing on any machine just by popping the stick in...
                            RoyN,

I've just been looking into this, I've found no way of making the USB device automatically run an app on insertion other than having an application on the CarPC itself, if anyone can help with this I'd be grateful.

Comment

Early in the morning and just pulling some ideas here.

Have you tried autorun.inf similar config to a cd-rom? When it detects the device it will probably exec it.

M7NCG w/ mobile 2400+ | 512mb DDR400
                              3.5" HDD | Slim DVD/CD-RW
                              Linksys USB Wifi | Belkin USB BlueTooth
                              Opus 150w | Xenarc 7"
                              RoadRunner - Thanks Guino!

Comment

Working...
                              X