Roadrunner as shell - Needs run

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadrunner as shell - Needs run

I have what I hope will be a simple request. I run RR as my shell cause it significantly speeds up boot and also frees up alot of resources (Also I don't want "unqualified" users having access to the computer part of things) however one major flaw is if explorer isnt the shell you cant have programs start on bootup, be they in the startup folder or the run key etc. Therefore my suggestion/request is to have some way to launch external apps on bootup. It can be in the ini or a seperate file or even just the ability to launch a single app cause then that could point to a batch script which could kick off the rest. Right now I have a batch script as my actual shell which runs the helper apps i need (like a shutdown trapper on a minlogoned system)

Anyway let me know if its feasable.
    Thanks
    Cobelli

Try the "start command to execute" in RRConfig. Mine reads:RUN;C:\Program Files\Road Runner\time of day greeting.exe

Lookup the run commands in RR's skin commands.txt.

"RUNQ" - Same as RUN except that RR will run the command in the background (HIDDEN). Be carefull
    not to run full blown applications like this or you'll need to close it with Task Manager.
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Figures Guino would have allready thought of it. Thanks for pointing that out. Should work well enough for now.

- Cobelli

Comment

i don't understand really that would you do.. but... it's possible run the RR at the shell? before at windows xp? how is it?
        Renault Megane Coupé Cabriolet
        P3 550 mhz 256 mb RAM 15 gb hd, dvd.
        gps handsfree parrot ck3300
        windows xp sp2
        road runner
        map monkey and viamichelin mapsonic
        Touchscreen 7" fully motorized in-dash

Comment

Originally posted by xuri
          i don't understand really that would you do.. but... it's possible run the RR at the shell? before at windows xp? how is it?
          Normally, the Windows shell is Explorer. That includes your desktop, start menu, file browser, etc.
          That can be changed to load any application you want as the shell. Hell, you could have Notepad as the shell if you wanted.
          Search the OS Optimization forum. There are a couple threads on how to load something as your shell.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

ok, i go to os optimization. thanks
            Renault Megane Coupé Cabriolet
            P3 550 mhz 256 mb RAM 15 gb hd, dvd.
            gps handsfree parrot ck3300
            windows xp sp2
            road runner
            map monkey and viamichelin mapsonic
            Touchscreen 7" fully motorized in-dash

Comment

Link to OS Optmization
              CarPC #3: 99% Complete