Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR running like a turtle

Hi all,

Ok, so I've been running RR for a week or two now and I love the interface (though it sucks for mappoint... but that's a different issue) Anyway, it's taking RR about 2 minutes just to load after booting up the computer. Then when i'm in the application it causing the music to pause/skip/stall whenever I click on something (like if I want to change directories to pick another album, or go to the GPS window) Hell, sometimes it even does this when I click the volume up button on my steering wheel (going through iBus connector)

It shouldn't be doing this on my computer as it's a pretty good machine. For now until I get my real carputer purchased I'm just using my Dell 300m laptop. 1.2 ghz, 1 gig ram and the XP install is only about 4 months old. I'm using the default skin here... so what's wrong? Though not a powerhouse comuter, it's just as good if not better than the best Micro-ITX board.
    Matt Atkins
    Seattle5s | President
    '01 M5 Lemans Blue/two tone black and silver interior
    Factory nav.... for now

Old Car (almost sold)
    '98 540i-6 blk/blk
    Dell 300m | Xenarc 7" | Road Runner | iBusCOMM | NaviVoice | Streets & Trips GPS

Check the CPU usage, do you have flash in the skins??? 1 Gig RAM seems a little overkill but doubt its that.

Do you use hibernation/standby or anything? What else is running/installed?

Comment

Is browsing the hard drive (via My Computer/Explorer) pretty speedy? Sounds like some sort of a disk I/O issue or something swamping the CPU bad...
      2003 Toyota Camry V6
      Kenwood Excelon 790 HU, VIA C7 + M2-ATX, Xenarc 700TSV, and 5 discreetly installed amps.

Comment

The standard skin has that flash Honda symbol (that's driving me crazy, but I've been to lazy to replace it with a BMW logo) but as far as I know that's it. I did install CarSkulls flash skin, but because it's incomplete I deleted it.

As for the computer itself, it seems to be running fine. I'd say it takes maybe 30 seconds to get to the login screen from bootup and when I click on my prifile (no password) I see the desktop in about 10-15 secounds max. Pretty fast.... I've never noticed any slowness when browsing the hard drive. I can't rememeber exactly how full the hard drive is, but I don't think it's much over 50%.

As for things I have hooked up through USB... I have a USB hub split off to a serial converter for the iBus interface, GPS and a wireless keyboard/trackball.
        Matt Atkins
        Seattle5s | President
        Factory nav.... for now

Old Car (almost sold)
        '98 540i-6 blk/blk
        Dell 300m | Xenarc 7" | Road Runner | iBusCOMM | NaviVoice | Streets & Trips GPS

Comment

Do the flash update from Guinos site - sounds like the logo is spinning too quickly and as a result will slow the whole system down as it will be running high CPU usage.

Comment

You really think that small ammount of flash is killing the system? I'll try it and see what the results are. Thanks
            Matt Atkins
            Seattle5s | President
            Factory nav.... for now

Old Car (almost sold)
            '98 540i-6 blk/blk

Comment

yeah, you should either have the latest flash version or no flash at all. IF you have something in the middle it might load the CPU even if the skin doesn't have flash.
              Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
              "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

you mean just go to Macromedia and unpdate my flash software?
                Matt Atkins
                Seattle5s | President
                Factory nav.... for now

Old Car (almost sold)
                '98 540i-6 blk/blk

Comment

Nope, look at the link below:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45529

Comment

ahh, no internet in my car, so I've downloaded the flash exe onto my usb flash drive and I'll see if that fixes it. The second "fix" is throwing a bandwidth exceeded error, so I'll have to try that another time.

Thanks for the help everyone.
                    Matt Atkins
                    Seattle5s | President
                    Factory nav.... for now

Old Car (almost sold)
                    '98 540i-6 blk/blk

Comment

shouldn't be

download from:

http://guino.mpug.co.uk/Flash.zip

Comment

Ok, those fixes didn't work, but I did figure out what the problem is. It's not flash, it's PowerStrip. For some reason everytime I do something in Road Runner pstrip.exe shoots up to 99% of the CPU. No idea why, but when I kill the process RR runs like a dream. Just figured that out on the way home. I'm to tired to do it now, but I'll uninstall power strip first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the help though.
                        Matt Atkins
                        Seattle5s | President
                        Factory nav.... for now

Old Car (almost sold)
                        '98 540i-6 blk/blk

Comment

that's definitely weird.. I have powerstrip.. but I don't leave it running all the time (that's for sure)..
                          Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                          "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Originally posted by Mattkins99
                            Ok, those fixes didn't work, but I did figure out what the problem is. It's not flash, it's PowerStrip. For some reason everytime I do something in Road Runner pstrip.exe shoots up to 99% of the CPU. No idea why, but when I kill the process RR runs like a dream. Just figured that out on the way home. I'm to tired to do it now, but I'll uninstall power strip first thing tomorrow morning.
                            Does that by any chance stop happening if, while RR is running, you change resolution to something else and back?
                            Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
                            Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
                            Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Comment

I don't have power strip installed anymore, so I can't try this. If you really want me to try, let me know and I'll try to do it in the next couple of days.
                              Matt Atkins
                              Seattle5s | President
                              Factory nav.... for now

Old Car (almost sold)
                              '98 540i-6 blk/blk

Comment

Working...
                              X