REQUEST: IPOD integration...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REQUEST: IPOD integration...

I know this has been mentioned a couple of times before in various other threads but never as a high profile thread of its own!

The aim is to use the winamp ipod plugin found here so that RR can play all your music files straight from the ipod.

The following was posted by bertybassett in another thread:
    yeah I can confirm if you plug your ipod into the Ml_plug then yes you can access the mp3/4s ok from winamp.
    and Dox talks about the playlist integration here:
    I've just created an m3u playlist on the PC by adding tunes from the "ipod" in media library and peaking into it with notepad it's file references point to the ipod. I've imported the playlist into media library, and it's still referencing the file on the ipod.

There's a section in the config dialog for updating usage/rating info back and forth between the PC and the ipod, and tick box in "misc" that says "Smart Playlist Live Updating (very experimental)" so there are obviously some kinks still being worked out. But it seems to work flawlessly...
    So in throwing this feature request to Guino, it seems he doesn't think it should be too hard but requires some help from us ipod owners:
    I don't have an ipod to try it out with the library... RR does support standard winamp library... as for the Other lists it may just be the case of loading the right index file.. if you provide me with the .NDE and .IDX files for the ipod, I can probably try to add extra support for it.
    Could someone who understands what he is asking for please help me out and explain. I can't find anything on .NDE or .IDX files, what are they?

I'm hoping a few of us can work together to get this up and running. My programming skills are nonexistent but I do have an ipod and will help out in testing as much as possible.

If roadrunner could work with ipod would make this the perfect front end
    mp3car infill g4

Comment

i sent him my idx files (everything in the c:\blah\winamp\plugins\mlpod dir, but apparently the files he needs are stored else where...

I PM'd will @ the Winamp support forums (he's the creator of the plugin), but haven't received a response... I too would love to have this feature! The laptop I'm using only has 10GB on it, but most of my mp3's are on my 40GB ipod

Comment

guino,

I can loan you my 20gig touchwheel iPod for this feature if you need it. PM me with an addy and i'll send it your way.
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy Benjamin Franklin

Comment

woot!
          Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
          Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Originally posted by DiNASTY
            I can loan you my 20gig touchwheel iPod for this feature if you need it. PM me with an addy and i'll send it your way.
            Now there's an offer you can't refuse Guino!

Thanks for that DiNASTY, not only an awesome skinner but an awesome bloke too!

Comment

PM sent...
              Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
              "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Right, I got a PM from Guino asking to find the file that indexes all the songs on the ipod.

I thought I could find a piece of software that would monitor all the files on my hard drive and would notify me when a file is changed/added. Unfortunately I couldn't get anything I downloaded to work and couldn't find any obvious file that was being changed/added when I connected my ipod.

Can anyone help here?
                Does anyone know any software that has the functionality I mentioned above?
                Can anyone work out what file is indexing the songs on the ipod?

Come one guys, lets make this happen!

Comment

Originally posted by DiNASTY
                  guino,

Hi DiNASTY,
                  Did you get any interest from Guino about this?

Comment

Hi Tim

since guino hasnt psted here yet, tell us, is he going to be using that plugin or some native support?

I gather that if he is looking at index files and such he will probably be doing his own support?
                    Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

I can tell you from the library files I got from tim that the ipod library files are not the same as the winamp library files.. so this might be a lot harder than it looks.. anyway, I did pm him about borrowing the ipod for testing.. in any case, I always knew that getting folder-based player (like the 40Gb iRirver I have) would be the easiest to use it with anything else (In RR you can simply add a Browse.rrl link)...
                      Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                      "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

(Guino, talknig about browse.rrl, I have my CD drive in there, but if I dont have a disk in and accidntally try accessing my cd drive it will freeze up for a long time... anything that can be done there or is it a windows limitation the windows "freezing up" when trying to read from an empty drive? - this also happens when the usb dvd drive is just unplugged)
                        Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

Originally posted by timwiththebo
                          Right, I got a PM from Guino asking to find the file that indexes all the songs on the ipod.

I thought I could find a piece of software that would monitor all the files on my hard drive and would notify me when a file is changed/added. Unfortunately I couldn't get anything I downloaded to work and couldn't find any obvious file that was being changed/added when I connected my ipod.

Can anyone help here?
                          Does anyone know any software that has the functionality I mentioned above?
                          Can anyone work out what file is indexing the songs on the ipod?

Come one guys, lets make this happen!

Have you tried filemon?

Comment

Originally posted by guino
                            so this might be a lot harder than it looks...
                            You know you love the challenge Guino!

I posted a question in the winamp ml_ipod forum about where this file that indexes the songs on the ipod might be on the hard drive. I got the following reply from the current plugin's developer:

Originally posted by Will, the ml_ipod developer
                            No such file exists.

There is a database file on the iPod itself which mlipod reads from, X:\iPod_Control\iTunes\iTunesDB where X is the iPod drive letter.
                            So end of search, the file doesn't exist! Does this help at all Guino? If you are serious about implementing this into RR (which I hope you are) then maybe you should conact Will - his email is: will at mlipod dot com

Comment

I think you all should pool together and get Guino and Ipod, it would make the chore easier...
                              Just a suggestion, I don't even have one...
                              Aopen i855GMEm-LFS with Dothan 1.8ghz
                              512mb DDR333
                              Windows XPpro SP2

Comment

Working...
                              X