Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Phone Control takes a long time

Hi,
    When I start RR and it says it is starting Phone Control my CPU goes 100% and it takes ~ 40 seconds for RR to start. Is this normal when using Phone Control?

Rgds and thanks

Ant

Depends on your setup and if PhoCo can find your phone. AFAIK RR waits until PhoCo is fully loaded before it continues loading ==> look into your PhoCo settings
    Lilliput 7" TS TFT, ASRock K7VM2, Duron 1,3 GHz, 512 MB DDR RAM, 30 GB Seagate HDD @ 5.400 rpm, WLAN w/ 500mW booster, Toshiba Slimline DVD-ROM Drive, D-Link USB Radio

Download the German Voicepack 1.0 for FreeDrive now!

Comment

Hi,
      Sorry I should have mentioned in my original post that if I start Phone Control standalone then it takes ~ 8 seconds to start and be fully functional. It only consumes the CPU and takes ~ 40 seconds during the RR start up process.

Thanks

Ant

Comment

I think you should do some more testing.. it is UNFAIR to compare the FIRST loading time of Phoco (probably done by RR) with the NEXT loading times of phoco (either inside or outside RR)... I can guarantee you that phoco will load a whole lot faster on the 2nd, 3rd etc times.. the only reason why it takes so long to start at first is because all the .NET crap has to load up ..
        Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
        "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Originally posted by guino
          I think you should do some more testing.. it is UNFAIR to compare the FIRST loading time of Phoco (probably done by RR) with the NEXT loading times of phoco (either inside or outside RR)... I can guarantee you that phoco will load a whole lot faster on the 2nd, 3rd etc times.. the only reason why it takes so long to start at first is because all the .NET crap has to load up ..
          Hi Guino,
          I tested this with a cold boot between each tests so as to make it as fair as possible, the results are:-

Cold Boot -> Start Phone Control -> ~14 seconds
          Cold Boot -> Start Road Runner -> RR says Starting PC for ~40 seconds

I watch the processes and rr.exe is consuming > 90% CPU and PhoneCTL.NET.exe uses only a few % for 2-3 seconds and nothing for the remainder of the period.

I assume using the trial version of phone control wouldnt affect this?

Many thanks

Ant

Comment

Originally posted by db2boy
            I assume using the trial version of phone control wouldnt affect this?

Many thanks

Ant

Using the trial version affects it big time, because the splash screen requires user input.

If you search the phoco threads in the RR form you will find that the trail version is not recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
              Using the trial version affects it big time, because the splash screen requires user input.

If you search the phoco threads in the RR form you will find that the trail version is not recommended.
              Thank you for the reply, I had aready written the response when I remembered it was a trial version. Apologies, I do normally search.

Thanks

Ant

Comment

I've noticed this too but its not the fault of Phoco or RR. My dongle just doesnt wanna immediately connect. And yes RR waits for phoco to be fully loaded before it launches itself
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

the new version will be more flexible on connecting to Phoco...
                  Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                  "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Originally posted by guino
                    the new version will be more flexible on connecting to Phoco...
                    is it possible to have it act as if it were a normal embeded window, so say if i go to the phone screen, it loads PhoCo then and not at startup and also a close button so i can shut it down if i like without also shutting down RR.
                    01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                    01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                    mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

it's just not practical because it takes time for phoco to initialize before you can use it.. so starting it up only when wanting to use it, would just make you wait more right when you want to use it..
                      Ride Runner RR's Myspace

Comment

Working...
                      X