Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wintv usb problem or just lousy?

Guys, ive got a problem:

fist of all im new here and im almost finished with my carputer.
    My hardware is this:
    Via Epia SP1300
    1 gig RAM
    special "blue box" enclosure
    40 gig SATA harddisk.

now since ive got this special enclosure, im not able to have anything on mu PCI slot.
    therefor ive got a Slimline DVD combo and a WINTVFM on USB.

ive got everything running but the reception really, and i mean really sucks...
    Is this just the wintvfm unit or is it software-related?
    althought the indicator of the radio program shows a very good reception, it just isnt listenable.....
    i installed it on my laptop and the same sht happens...
    Does anyone have a good working unit (in the netherlands) or is it simply crap?

tnx bacardi

What are you using for an antenna? Where is the antenna?

Maybe the Cola guy can help you . . ..
    Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
    Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
    I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
    Please help.

Comment

Ive installed a powered antenna on my rear-window. Ive seen the type of antenna on several cars (with "normal" car-radio's) and they work perfect.
      im guessing it isnt the antenna... or could it?
      is there anyone in holland who got it working normally?

ps, colaguy is drunk

Comment

The TV will only work well with a TV antenna (a radio antenna won't do a good job as far as I know)... plus the TV reception on the WinTV has never been that great..
        Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
        "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Originally posted by guino
          The TV will only work well with a TV antenna (a radio antenna won't do a good job as far as I know)... plus the TV reception on the WinTV has never been that great..
          i dont need tv in my car, i have hires DVD's for that... its the radio thats crappy.

Comment

I know this won't be much help. I have the WinTVFM PCI card, and it's FM reception is terrific. The TV reception is surprisingly good considering I split the stock car antenna between the FM and the TV inputs. Like Guino said, the car's FM antenna isn't made to pick up the TV frequencies. I really think that for FM, I get better reception with the WinTV card than I did with the stock radio, using the same antenna.

Comment

i tested it today with the stick antenna, although i can get 2 radio stations. the reception is still beyond crap....
              does anyone have experience with fitting a pci-radiocard in the blue aluminium carbox with a risercard.... im concidering to buy the pci version after last post...

Comment

I have a WinTV PCI as well, All I ever used to test it was a striped out wire that I stuck into the Antenna plug.. the reception (with that setup) was fairly decent, mostly all radios had reception and this was done indoors (inside my house). If you have access to another of those USB tuners, I'd suggest trying it first (to see if it is just your tuner that is bad).. I have seen the raiser cards and they seem to work great, but I have no experience with them.. The carpc I saw actually had a WinTV PCI and a SBLive on the raiser PCI adapter.
                Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

to guino / strgazr:

Final question guys (for now)
                  is that just one type? the WINTV PCI FM?
                  i see several hauppauge thingies in the stores..
                  could you pleas post the hauppauge productlink?
                  i would liketo be sure i dont buy the wrong one AGAIN... grrr
                  thanks in advance
                  Bacardi

ps: btw: is it possible to have RDS displayed in rr aswell?

Comment

This is the one I have:
                    http://www.hauppage.com/pages/products/data_401.html

A lot of people with Honda Elements have complained that they thought their radio reception was worse than whatever car they had before. Of course, they assume it is the antenna. They have little stubby antennas. With the stock radio in the Element, I had bad reception on the radio stations in the city when I would get out in the country close to my house. I was planning on changing the antenna some time after I got the carputer set up and working the way I wanted. But, after I hooked it all up, I was very surprised to find that not only did the city radio stations sound great at my house, but I could also pick up a couple of radio stations from cities further away. I'm still using the same stock antenna, into a splitter then to the FM in and the TV in on the WinTV card.

And yes, it sounds like RDS info can be displayed. Alot of people are using the Cinergy 600.

Good luck with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Strgazr
                      And yes, it sounds like RDS info can be displayed. Alot of people are using the Cinergy 600.
                      yes, but is it also alvailable with the hauppauge card? i read something about rds only displayable in radiator.. and if this is true, can i use radiator instead of that wintv-radio program?
                      thanks for your help!!
                      bacardi

btw: is the cinergy 600 better than the wintv thing?

Comment

As far as I know, RDS can not be displayed with ANY card under radiator.

RDS can be displayed in RR with the Cinergy 600 using a custom made interface for RR (comes on the binary package/installshield).

PS: There isn't a single thing I like better about the WinTV than on the Cinergy Card. I think it is better on every possible way I think of.
                        Ride Runner RR's Myspace

Comment

THANKS GUINO!!!!
                          the cinergy 600 card it will be then!
                          thats the answer i was looking for!
                          SUPER!

thanks guys!
                          bacardi

Comment

to strgazr:

i just read somewhere that if tou dont plugin your radio antenna the card automatically uses the tv antenna for radio reception!
                            you dont have to use your splitter and maybe even your reception improves this way.
                            greetz

bacardi

ps: i think i can test the cinergy this weekend, i ordered it online

Comment

Thanks! I will try it and see which is better.

Comment

Working...
                              X