Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

feature request: native gps support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • feature request: native gps support

    feature request: native gps support

    but not for navigation!

    One thing ive wanted for a long time is more usefull features for my GPS.
    Navigation is very usefull, but only really usefull when you are lost or trying not to get lost, which isnt a whole lot, driveing around where you live.

    The top things i want to use my GPS for on a daily basis
    1. volume based on GPS speed (i can define a lot more on how it should work)
    I know there is something to do this for people with destinator, but what about everyone else?
    2. speedo with heading and optional user set speed warnings

    these are the main two thing i REALLY REALLY want to do with my gps and put it to more frequent use. Putting this into RR would be cool, but i think it should be added as a plugin the way CDRIP is so that other people with different frontends can also use this or run standalone.
    01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
    01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

    beer replenishment fund
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
    mp3car live search

    i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

  • #2
    You can easily pull up this info from RR and perform/display whatever with it.. You could even do it in flash if wanted...
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

    "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

    Comment


    • #3
      is it possible to do this with Iguidance as your GPS solution? Or do you have to have destinator? From what ive seen so far, it looks like RR pulls the info from a GPS nav software, i was thinking more on the lines of RR pulling the info from the actual GPS reciever. Is this possible?
      01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
      01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

      beer replenishment fund
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
      mp3car live search

      i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

      Comment


      • #4
        I use labels from RR to get speed, heading and elevation. I configure RR as if it was using Mapoint and just use my own skin for Navigation.


        I use DeLorme Serial Emulator with one com for RR and one for iGuidance.

        ExecTBL.ini
        "GPS","LOAD;EXTERNAL_GPS_ig.skin;Navigation;E:\Pro gram Files\iNav\iGuidance\iGuidance.exe;iGuidance||ACTI VATE;RoadRunner"

        would be nice to convert heading to imanges. all ready have Map pointers
        Attached Files
        2001 S10 ZR2

        Chucks Skin - to old

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Chuck
          I use labels from RR to get speed, heading and elevation. I configure RR as if it was using Mapoint and just use my own skin for Navigation.


          I use DeLorme Serial Emulator with one com for RR and one for iGuidance.

          ExecTBL.ini
          "GPS","LOAD;EXTERNAL_GPS_ig.skin;Navigation;E:\Pro gram Files\iNav\iGuidance\iGuidance.exe;iGuidance||ACTI VATE;RoadRunner"

          would be nice to convert heading to imanges. all ready have Map pointers
          WOW, i never knew you could do that
          so from what your saying, RR actually reads the data from the gps device?
          If it wernt 2 in the morning i would head out to the car and test this out now.

          So what about volume, does that work also?
          01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
          01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

          beer replenishment fund
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
          mp3car live search

          i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by liquid_smoke
            WOW, i never knew you could do that
            so from what your saying, RR actually reads the data from the gps device?
            If it wernt 2 in the morning i would head out to the car and test this out now.

            So what about volume, does that work also?

            Yes RR will read from gps if you set it for mappoint and GPS com Port in config.

            volume on work
            2001 S10 ZR2

            Chucks Skin - to old

            Comment


            • #7
              OK, i got this working
              sweet,
              a few comments
              for gps speed can we change the display of 'Mi/h" to mph it just looks odd that way and for heading can there be an option for North, West, South,East, or N,W,S,E,NW,SW etc, the degrees is also a little weird, i have to translate the degrees in my head.
              01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
              01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

              beer replenishment fund
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
              mp3car live search

              i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chuck

                volume on work
                Is that a yes or no?
                01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

                beer replenishment fund
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                mp3car live search

                i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by liquid_smoke
                  Is that a yes or no?
                  no
                  2001 S10 ZR2

                  Chucks Skin - to old

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'll see what I can do about Heading Indicators.. the GPS volume has been on the to-do list, but it's a pain in the @ss to test, so I haven't really had time to work on it.

                    You can split the GPS data to iGuidance and RR by using an external application (Xport, etc).. some cost a lot of money.. check the support software forums for those apps.
                    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

                    "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by guino
                      I'll see what I can do about Heading Indicators.. the GPS volume has been on the to-do list, but it's a pain in the @ss to test, so I haven't really had time to work on it.

                      You can split the GPS data to iGuidance and RR by using an external application (Xport, etc).. some cost a lot of money.. check the support software forums for those apps.
                      cool,

                      as far as the com port split, i already had xport setup in my car but havent run it in ages but while i was in the gps mind state i went and checked for updated drivers for my earthmate and the drivers now include native support for com port splits, even lets you pick which data streem to send to each port. pretty cool.

                      as far as the heading indicators, it dosent have to be anything fancy, just simple N,S,W,E combinations etc are fine.

                      thanks
                      01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                      01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

                      beer replenishment fund
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                      mp3car live search

                      i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by liquid_smoke
                        cool,


                        as far as the heading indicators, it dosent have to be anything fancy, just simple N,S,W,E combinations etc are fine.

                        thanks
                        0=N
                        45=NE
                        90=E
                        135=SE
                        180=S
                        225=SW
                        270=W
                        315=NW

                        THAT WOULD BE COOL
                        2001 S10 ZR2

                        Chucks Skin - to old

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Chuck
                          0=N
                          45=NE
                          90=E
                          135=SE
                          180=S
                          225=SW
                          270=W
                          315=NW

                          THAT WOULD BE COOL
                          01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                          01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

                          beer replenishment fund
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                          mp3car live search

                          i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Chuck
                            0=N
                            45=NE
                            90=E
                            135=SE
                            180=S
                            225=SW
                            270=W
                            315=NW

                            THAT WOULD BE COOL
                            here it is

                            Thanks guino
                            Attached Files
                            2001 S10 ZR2

                            Chucks Skin - to old

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              haha... that's fairly small indicator but it's a matter of choice... I tested with some huge JPGs..
                              Ride Runner RR's Myspace

                              "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                              "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X