Directory Cache

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directory Cache

I keep all my music in subdirectories of 1 folder: C:\Mp3s, which means that when i go to the folder list to load up a new playlist, it takes 5-6 seconds to read the entire directory structure and load it into the list. Any way (workaround i presume) to get this list loaded into memory when RR isn't doing anything else? I never navigate outside of it, so i dont need to worry about the list changing, but it'd be nice to not have to wait for it every time (it's drastically faster after the first time, though) i load the list.

Thanks

Are you talking about searching or ust browsing the folder list ? or what?
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

just browsing the basic c:\Mp3s directory list.

Comment

how many folders/songs do you have in there ? it would be just as slow to load the list of files from the HD than it would be to read it off a file..
        Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
        "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

i have over 500 subdirs in that folder, which is why i wanted to cache them. Not write them to a file, but somehow hold the list in memory, and leave it there till the prog exits.

Comment

Windows automatically caches disk access (files/folders)... you can see it by comparing the time of the first file search, to the subsequent ones..
            Ride Runner RR's Myspace

Comment

guino: exactly

instead of caching it after the first time, i'd like RR to already have the dirstructure cached soonafter the program is launched. is there any way to get the list to load then unload without any user intervention for this reason?

Comment

It's not RR caching anything its WINDOWS. If you can figure out a way for windows to cache the filesystem then it will work.
                Ride Runner RR's Myspace

Comment

Working...
                X