Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brushed Metal Streets and Trips 2006 skin

Hi all,

For those of you using the Brushed Metal skin and want to use MS Streets and Trips 2006, here's are the files you need. Thank Hypersprite for figuring this out for Streets and trips 2005... I've only created Brushed Metal skin and used the 2006 version.

http://www.seattle5s.com/BrushedMeta...dTrips2006.zip

The Zip file contains the following:
    Streets.skin
    Streets2.skin (more buttons)
    Steets_on.jpg
    Streets_off.jpg
    Streets_empty.jpg
    Streets_down.jpg
    Streets2_on.jpg
    Streets2_off.jpg
    Streets2_empty.jpg
    Streets2_down.jpg

You'll need to modify 3 files of the Brushed Metal .skin files.

menu.skin
    Look for the following line:
    B06,418,298,369,116,"GPS","GPS"

This is currently line 11, and change it to:

B06,418,298,369,116,"LOAD;STREETS.SKIN;Streets;C:\ Program Files\Microsoft Streets & Trips\Streets.exe;Microsoft Streets & Trips","Streets"

exit_menu.skin
    Look for the following line
    B01,000,013,411,057,"EXIT","Exit"

This is currently line 6, and change it to

B01,000,013,411,057,"CLOSEWINDOW;Microsoft Streets & Trips||EXIT","Exit"

Audio_Player.skin
    Look for the following line
    B04,206,165,64,84,"GPS",""

This is currently line 9, and change it to

B04,206,165,64,84,"LOAD;STREETS.SKIN;Streets;C:\Pr ogram Files\Microsoft Streets & Trips\Streets.exe;Microsoft Streets & Trips","Streets"

Streets and Trips 2006
    The following was written by Hypersprite to better setup Streets and trips so that when initially opened, it is best setup for in car use on a small touchscreen

[Open up Streets and trips,] position the map so it opens on your home town at a decent zoom level, or wherever you happen to drive the most. Now drag the Drawing and Standard menus to undock them and place them out of the way, this way when you open up Streets in Road Runner they will not take up usable space. Also go to View, Toolbars, Location and Scale and uncheck it (it seems to remember this option on future openings where as the other ones, sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    For maps that are not as harsh at night and easier to read I the day time, try changing the map style at View, Map Style, Terane Map, it just works a bit better (although still not 3D). Now save your template to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Streets & Trips\Templates as New North American Map.stt

Buttons
    The Buttons on the left are as follows.
    Exit
    Zoom +
    Zoom _
    Night Mode
    Toggle GPS Pane
    Toggle GPS on/off
    GO (reroute from current postion)
    Open/Close bottom button bar

Bottom row
    Music
    Toggle Route Planner
    Day mode (Actually Terrain mode)
    Toggle Location and Scale toolbar
    Toggle Find nearby places pane
    Mute
    Volume -
    Mute (volume level is a button as well)
    Volume +
    Previous Track
    Stop
    Play/Pause
    Next Track
    Attached Files
    Matt Atkins
    Seattle5s | President
    '01 M5 Lemans Blue/two tone black and silver interior
    Factory nav.... for now

Old Car (almost sold)
    '98 540i-6 blk/blk
    Dell 300m | Xenarc 7" | Road Runner | iBusCOMM | NaviVoice | Streets & Trips GPS

Another Streets BM Skin

Here is another Streets & Trips 2006 skin based on the Brushed Metal skin.
    I have been using it for about three weeks now including a long trip last week an everything seems to be working. The OSK it calls up is the one used in WindowsXP. I Also included a Brushed Aluminum variant of this. Enjoy!!

http://home.att.net/~cougar428/GPS_ST2006_BM_skin.zip

http://home.att.net/~cougar428/ST2006_BM_PSD.zip

http://home.att.net/~cougar428/GPS_ST2006_BA_skin.zip

http://home.att.net/~cougar428/ST2006_BA_PSD.zip

Installation Instructions;

Streets & Trips 2006 should be fully installed and functional prior to installing the skin.

Using the RRConfig Utility, enter the following information in the GPS Pane;

GPS Mode = External

GPS Path = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Streets & Trips\Streets.exe (or your install directory if custom install)

GPS Window Name = - Microsoft Streets & Trips

Copy all files beginning with the name “GPS_ST2006… to your Bushed Metal skin directory.

Rename your External_GPS.skin file to External_GPS.orig

Copy the file named GPS_ST2006.skin to External_GPS.skin

Load RoadRunner, reset your skin and test the GPS functions.

All functions are documented in the “tool tip” section of the respective .skin file.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice work - what resolution are you running in the car? Is it on a small screen? Have you also used iGuidance - how does it compare in your opinion? Any screen shots of it telling you where to turn next (in large print), etc.? I'm really curious about this now.
      My install log
      My "selling entire system" thread

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/streets/Pro...s.aspx?pid=001

not a picture of the directions embedded in RR, but use your imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrasher
          http://www.microsoft.com/streets/Pro...s.aspx?pid=001

not a picture of the directions embedded in RR, but use your imagination.
          Thanks, seen it, but not helpful.
          My install log

Comment

Will S&T re-calculate the route if you leave the path?

I've had Mappoint 04, now use iGuidance, but have yet to put S&T 06 in the car b/c of this.

EDIT: their demo video shows the ability to re-calculate, but it has to be done with a click. iGuidance will re-calculate without any interaction.
            CarPC #3: 99% Complete
            Pentium M 1.7Ghz, 1GB DDR2 RAM
            DVD/CD-RW installed in dash below monitor
            OEM LCD relocated for 7" Touchscreen
            Wi-Fi, GPS, PS2 controllers...
            500+ full albums
            4,000+ video games
            music videos, movies, & more!
            old carPC

Comment

just downloaded the skin and was looking at some of the functions...

If a keyboard shortcut exists to re-calculate route, I'd add a button to my skin for this and use S&T 06. How are you guys finding the keyboard shortcuts? Sorry, I haven't played with the software much, yet.

Also, is the SENDKEYS function working 100%? It is so sketchy with iGuidance that it's pretty much worthless. I'm hoping that it works smoothly with S&T since there is probably a good SDK.
              500+ full albums
              4,000+ video games
              old carPC

Comment

Hark;

The screen resolution is 800x600 on a 10.4 screen”. I use a Viewsonic ViewPad 1000 for my carpc. It uses a touch screen interface and is a totally self contained pc, 800mhz Celeron.

I have never used iGuidance. I have another program on my PocketPC called Ostia. Its way to small and requires a computer to generate the maps for travel.

I started with Streets & Trips 2005. I like the look and feel, but it was limited on live directions during travel. The 2006 version solved a lot of those issues.

There is a review of S&T 2006 at the following thread. I will post some other screen shots showing various driving direction windows when I get home later tonight.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...t=streets+2006

ITL;

S&T will recalculate the path from your current positions it is the button on the left side that looks like a dotted U-Turn. The reroute does require user action, other wise it just tells you “OFF ROUTE”.

All of the functions in the skin use the programs keyboard short cuts in the RoadRunner sendkeys function. Almost every function in S&T has a short cut.

All;

Key Definitions.

Top row left to right – all music related
                Previous track, stop, play/pause, next track --- Vol-, Mute, Vol+, Full Screen Toggle (widens over both side panels)

Left Side Top to Bottom
                Tool bars toggle
                OSK, not functional
                Find Points of Interest (new side pane)
                Open GPS Pane
                Reroute from Current Position
                Route Planner Pane
                Repeat Last Instruction

Right Side Top to Bottom
                Zoom to Selected Point
                Zoom In
                Zoom Out
                Zoom to Entire Route
                Day/Night Toggle
                Route Text/Next Turn Pane Toggle
                Return to RoadRunner

Comment

I'm assuming some of the mappoint skins/menus are being used for route planning etc...is this correct?

This is what I'd hope for, anyway. Mappoint integration is excellent with RR...From first look, it just doesn't seem as if S&T is as tightly integrated.
                  500+ full albums
                  4,000+ video games
                  old carPC

Comment

ITL;

I don’t use any of the MapPoint or other GPS skins. I do all my route planning using the native S&T menus and functions at home or using a wireless keyboard and transfer the directions file to the carpc. I only programmed the functions into the skin that I felt I would use while actually driving. The only integration available from RR is what you can program from using SendKeys, which is actually quite a bit.

Hark;

Here are several screens showing some of the driving functions/directions;
                    Attached Files

Comment

On the above screens the first four screens show the various direction panes. The Route Text/Next Turn button toggles thru the upper and lower direction panes (a sequence of four possibilities)

The second screen is the mode I normally drive in.

When the GPS in engaged the distance to the next turn is displayed below the turn arrow. The voice instructions does a text to speech of the direction and includes the distance to turn in the voice prompt.

The last screen show a neat Point of Interest radius display that you can customize per the controls shown.

Comment

That's awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Great work. I don't suppose you've been able to get RR to mute/lower the music volume when S&T gives a voice prompt? Are you able to make the street name text larger?
                        My install log

Comment

Haven’t had any luck with the sound mute yet, some settings on the winamp preamp seem to help though. The map text is scalable with a menu setting, five choices from smallest to largest similar to the way internet explorer is.

On the voice. S&T installs a new voice, Microsoft ANA, she has a pleasant voice but a little low in volume. I use the SAM voice, which has a robotic tone, but is reasonably loud.

Comment

thanks for the screenshots, Softec. Unfortunately, I've been too spoiled by MAppoint's integration with RR to want to even begin to mess with small text boxes and route planning from a 7" screen...not what I was hoping for. But thanks for the insight.

:shrug: I guess I'll stick with iGuidance and Mappoint for now. If Mappoint 06 gives rotating maps and a 3D view, I'm definitely going that route as the integration is way too convenient for anything else at this point.

I'll just keep S&T 06 on the laptop.

Is there any hope of an SDK for S&T?
                            500+ full albums
                            4,000+ video games
                            old carPC

Comment

Originally posted by ITL
                              ...Is there any hope of an SDK for S&T?
                              Nope, MS wants you to buy Mappoint for that. S&T is the cheaper canned version. WIth sendkeys it does work pretty well, but ya... text boxes can be a bit of a pain to fill in. Other than that, it's not that bad.
                              Matt Atkins
                              Seattle5s | President
                              '01 M5 Lemans Blue/two tone black and silver interior
                              Factory nav.... for now

Old Car (almost sold)
                              '98 540i-6 blk/blk
                              Dell 300m | Xenarc 7" | Road Runner | iBusCOMM | NaviVoice | Streets & Trips GPS

Comment

Working...
                              X