Setvol and Speed Attenuated Volume Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setvol and Speed Attenuated Volume Control

I know this hasn't been discussed in a while, but DiNASTY and I resurrected the discussion in another thread, so I thought it deserved it own thread.

THE PROBLEM: I have my carpc in two convertables, neither of which has an automatic volume control to compensate for road noise.

THE PREVIOUS SOLUTION: DiNASTY came up with a set of flash files for me that read GPSSPD and increase/decrease the master volume 20% at 30, 50, and 70MPH depending on whether accelerating or decelerating.

These files work great with MapMonkey loaded, but now I'm switching to FreeDrive and need a comparable solution.

Originally posted by DiNASTY
    GizmoQ,
    I wouldn't recommend using those flash files. There is a new SETVOL command in RR that I can integrate which will make them like 10X more efficient. I think they can be used for freedrive too, but your right... it's better if it's integrated into FD or RR.
    Please do! And elaborate. I am so addicted to this feature, I add it to every new skin I use.

Also, I have gotten to the point now that it does not need to be dynamic any more, i.e., I have RR set to initialize with a preset volume of 20% so if its easier to create/implement setvol to 40% at 30MPH, 60% at 50MPH, and 80% at 70MPH that would be fine, too. I'll just use my headunit for fine tuning. Question is, will this method have the same 30% miss rate as the previous onefor MM (sometimes I accelerate a little fast and MM misses the speed change.)
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

BUMP, DiNASTY I'm dying here!
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

I was thinking about the same thing when I had to turn the vol up and down 200 times today. I think something to control the vol and use xport to get GPS spd will do it. I wish I know more about programming.

Comment

GizmoQ, I'll take a look at this and post something tonight. I may even attempt at creating a plugin
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Alright, I think I've got something here. This skin uses the new SETVOL commands instead of sending multiple VOL commands. This should make it fairly more efficient than using those three flash files. In addition, you can also customize the settings in the SSV.txt file. The reason I put this in a skin is because I need ppl to test it. It uses the GPSSPD label so it should work with FD & MM. TBH, I have no idea if it works so bare with me... btw.. (mph only for now)

*Doesn't Work* Get the RR update Thanks skippy76

Comment

That looks very nice.
            Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

Alright, I think I've got something here. This skin uses the new SETVOL commands instead of sending multiple VOL commands. This should make it fairly more efficient than using those three flash files. In addition, you can also customize the settings in the SSV.txt file. The reason I put this in a skin is because I need ppl to test it. It uses the GPSSPD label so it should work with FD & MM. TBH, I have no idea if it works so bare with me... btw.. (mph only for now)
              ZIP FILE IS CORRUPT - WILL NOT OPEN. Please rezip a reload. Thanx

Comment

On winzip v9.
                Lez, more widely known as flez1966

Comment

same thing here, broken zip file.
                  looks good though.
                  01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                  01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                  mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

well it looks like only some of the files in the zip file were broken, i was able to extract all the files except the background images. The files that matter are there though, just add your own background.
                    Im gonna go out and test this right now.

beer replenishment fund
                    mp3car live search

Comment

My bad Link is now fixed

Comment

ok, i just finished the test drive
                        works pretty good, there are some issues though. I never tested the previous version you made with multiple files so i dont really have anything to compare it to.

off the line, everything is fine and the volume changes at the set points.

stopping the car at a street corner though, the volume cuts harshly from 90%to20%, i think it may not be updateing quite fast enough. It seems like it takes about 5sec after i stop to recognize im not doing 60mph anymore. If i stop slower this isnt a issue. Not sure if the size of the flash speedo is slowing it down or not, but the speedo that me and you worked on that was much smaller updated faster than this one, so it may be the size or the added functions, not sure.

If you can get it to change the volume more gradually (esp when stopping) then i would say its ready to go. Also, do you think it would be better to change the volume of winamp and not the wav or master? That way, when getting voice directions from IG, the voice stays at the same volume?

beer replenishment fund
                        mp3car live search

Comment

Sweet, thanks for testing!! When you say that it's slower than the one we worked on, do you mean that the needle is slower to respond or are you referring to the volume changes? It's set to SpeedCheck=3 in the .txt so setting it to 1 second should speed it up a bit. Also, you can change the Audio-line to winamp in the txt as well. I'll try and find a way to make the changes more gradual. Thanks again for testing m8

Comment

Sweet, thanks for testing!! When you say that it's slower than the one we worked on, do you mean that the needle is slower to respond or are you referring to the volume changes? It's set to SpeedCheck=3 in the .txt so setting it to 1 second should speed it up a bit. Also, you can change the Audio-line to winamp in the txt as well. I'll try and find a way to make the changes more gradual. Thanks again for testing m8
                            np, you've helped me on quite a few things, glad to help out.

the needle seems to be slower, much more when im stopping, but i think the stopping is because im stopping fast. This also applies to the volume changes when im stopping. When i stop fast (not super fast, just normal for me i guess) there is about 4-5 sec before the volume goes down to 20%

Ill change the SpeedCheck to 1 and go test it again, need to get some gas anyway. Ill let you know if that improves it.

beer replenishment fund
                            mp3car live search

Comment

love that speedo any chance of having it as an app in rr or something similar

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X