Security Idea for RR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Idea for RR

ok, been thinking as you do.. what do you think of this idea ?

On first turn on of your PC and it loads RR as standard
    or
    On return from hibernation and it returns to RR

it goes to a lock screen, where you enter a pin number to return to normal operation.. I know this has already been done.. so nothing new here.

When the lock screen first appears a onscreen counter starts.. 60 seconds to comply ( even add a voice sample ) it counts down.. once 0 seconds have be reached and no correct pin number has been entered.. the screen flashs bright blue / black and also turns your sound upto 100%, then a voice says This car is being stolen, please call the police. then a siren.. this is repeated FOREVER. The only way to stop it is to input the correct pin.

I know if a thief was to try and steal my car, and this thing started going off, it would attract alot of attention

Very easy to code up, just need your ideas

CdR
    Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

maybe Stevie g's AccessControl could be modified

Comment

That's a great idea although I know I am probably to lazy to want to enter a code every time I get in my car or start my computer.

You also need some kind of defeat built in if you leave it with a valet.

Comment

Originally posted by gbh
        You also need some kid of defeat built in if you leave it with a valet.
        Or mechanic, etc.

Maybe a way to aftr you enter the pin disable it? Then an easy reenable later?

Who wants to use a PIN every time their car boots though to get the comp working? Not me..

-arebelspy
        See my trades here! My For Sale/Trade Thread. Email joe at eipse.com
        Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
        i think every thread is now a whoreing thread

Comment

i think this is an excellent idea and it can be added with an override or enable/disable option and everyones happy. I would also add a valet feature which would alow ....say 1 or 2 boots without requiring pin the automatically requiring the pin on the 3rd boot.

But what the hell does the valet or the mechanic need the pc for ?????
          http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/856246

Please visit my new site http://www.Gigabitcustoms.com

My worklog http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52720

Comment

Originally posted by jthiani
            Oh that's true.. I always mix these threads with the ones where people want the car to not work if the computer doesn't get a PIN.. just blocking comp access would be good.

-arebelspy

Comment

With SteveG's access control and Girder, you can do it.
              Use Girder OnResumeStandBy/OnResumeSuspend to handle hibernate and have girder execute the proggy.
              Also put it in startup folder for cold boot.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by jthiani
                Good Point.

But I was thinking when Cdr said:
                I know if a thief was to try and steal my car, and this thing started going off, it would attract alot of attention
                that he meant when you start the car the computer started automatically and you had to enter the PIN or else....

Comment

Originally posted by gbh
                  But I was thinking when Cdr said:

that he meant when you start the car the computer started automatically and you had to enter the PIN or else....
                  Exactly! THAT's what I was talking about. I knew I wasn't crazy!

-arebelspy

Comment

Originally posted by CdRsKuLL
                    your sound upto 100%, then a voice says This car is being stolen, please call the police. then a siren.. this is repeated FOREVER. The only way to stop it is to input the correct pin.

CdR
                    I like the idea. The volume option to 100% maybe useless if the amplification is the stock radio (like in my carpc i'm using the aux line), because it can be simply muted; but this can be a good option

I would prefer to shutdown the CarPc after X wrong Pins, and write the event in a file log, so you can always keep it under control.

Cheers
                    Fabio

RoadRunner - PC Navigator 7.1 - FreeFone

Comment

I will do one with a little control then, it will run inside a VB application. You will then be able to turn on/off and also set the alarm type as in, sound, volume % sound file to play (on repeat)... or even for a RR commmand to be issued like SHUTDOWN

I will also have a go at making a plugin, this would allow you then to skin it to suit any skin.

let me have a think and a play when I have time

CdR
                      Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

It will need to have lots of options and permutations as everyone Will want something different.

Here's my ideal functionality.

Assuming PC starts automatically when the car is started.

PC boots to pin, now while it is at the pin it records what's going on in the car (StevieG's Access control so far), correct PIN entered PC continues to boot to front end.

PIN not entered recording continues (also video can be added to this as well). and GPS co-ordinates monitored.

IF GPS moves significantly (to allow for slight fluctuations) then an SMS is sent to a mobile or an email to email account (delete as applicable).

Then the co-ordinates are transmitted to a website or server (GPSSECURE maybe).

Then the facility for a ring back, or have a website monitored for a signal, which then tells the computer to turn the volume up and play a predetermined alert, stop the car, flash the lights (delete where applicable).

Of course some of these features would need the ability to have a phone connected and/or have a connection to the internet.

And of course some people may not want all this, but this is my ideal set up.(at the moment)

Comment

Let me know if you want any help CdR ... pretty much sussed the plugin stuff now

Comment

Well, if any of you know VB then get writing a stand alone app in VB56, then you can integrate into RR.... most of the stuff I add to RR I make standalone first then integrate afterwards... makes version control and source code update easier.
                            06 Volvo XC90
                            Use to have installed MII 10000/512Mb/40GB, Lilliput 7", OPUS 90W, Wifi-G PCMCIA, Head Unit Aux adapter, Delorme GPS, XM PCR, Audigy NX, RR
                            Car PC downloads: http://carpc.harteveldt.com/

Comment

this is a feature i would want

but i shore dont wana be typing it in every time i start the pc

it has to be selectable b4 u power down the pc when u know u are going to leaving it in a bad area.. but maybe it can have an option to alway come up.

also it has to support resume from hibernation.

some time i wish i persured my programing further..
                              View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

Working...
                              X