Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were starting from scratch how would you organize your music?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were starting from scratch how would you organize your music?

The title pretty much says it all. My ipod is in its last throes. The computer I had everything ripped on has reverted to being property of my former employer. I'm going to be doing a lot of re-ripping in the near future. Anyone have any insight on the best way to organize for use with a carputer? It didn't really matter at all when I did the ripping with itunes.
    GA-K8VM800M, Sempron 64 2800+, 512mb DDR400, D-Link USB BT, Linksys .11g NIC, 250gb IDE, BU-353, SIR-ALP1 w/ MJS, DSATX 220w, DWW-700H

Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65059
    Now with pictures!

i seperate by genre. old rock (before 1990), new rock (after 1990), pop/rap/r&b, and techno/dance. If i have a full album, they get their own folder in the appropriate genre folder.
    Progress - VIA EPIA SP8000 | 120 Opus Power Supply & Case | 1GB Ram | 120GB 2.5" Hard Drive | Bluetooth 2.0 | GPRS/3G | Wifi | Road Runner/LSX 2.0 (waiting for a day skin for 3.0) | iGuidance 4.0 | Lilliput 7"

Comment

This is how I have mine. There's a RR feature to show the album folders in alphabetic order like #AB, CDE, FGH, ect.... but I'm not sure how it works...

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I have mine filed under artist, then each of there albums in its own folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadda
          I have mine filed under artist, then each of there albums in its own folder.
          - First, get your tags right. I recommend a program called "Tag and Rename". It lets you lookup via freedb or via Amazon (and also downloads album art!)

- My collection is organized by artist directories, then album directories under that, the song names for each album under that are:
          <artist>_-_<album>_-_<track#>_<songtitle>.mp3

By doing it this way each file stands on its own. I could re-organize the directory structure (like doing all files for an artist in one directory) and still be able to sorta "search" by artist/album using the song titles.
          My worklog.
          Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

Comment

I also have folders for things that don't fit into the Artist\Album scheme.
            I have a folder for move soundtracks, another for compilation albums with songs from multiple artists, another for gaming-related tunes (geeky, I know!), another for Christmas music, and another for single tunes that aren't part of an entire album.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I have Genre\Artist\Albums ... I have a Genre Soundtrack in which the Artists are actually movie names... the same way I'd suggest to have a genre for compilations and/or various artists, then you'd list the titles... just my opinion... it makes things very easy and very fast to find.. specially without having to list through thousands of folders in the same place...
              Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
              "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

I use the following scheme:

Level 1:

/Music
                /Music/Albums/{artist}/{album title}/{track#}_-_{song name}
                /Music/Singles/{artist}/{song name}
                /Music/Soundtracks/{movie title}/{track#}_-_{artist}_-_{song name}
                /Music/Various Artists/{disc name}/{track#}_-_{artist}_-_{song name}
                /Spoken/
                /Spoken/{author}/{book title}/{chapter #}_-_{chapter name}
                /Video
                /Video/{movie title}

I also keep detailed information in the ID3 tags as well, and I have a number of scripts that will intelligently rename and retag to my specs just about anything I throw at them.

I find that the combination of strict file and directory naming combined with ID3 tagging to provide the best support to the most diverse collection of software.

BTW, I avoid genre's altogether since most of what I listen to is simply unclassifiable.

-p.

Comment

Originally posted by gnomad
                  I use the following scheme:

Level 1:

/Music
                  /Music/Albums/{artist}/{album title}/{track#}_-_{song name}
                  /Music/Singles/{artist}/{song name}
                  /Music/Soundtracks/{movie title}/{track#}_-_{artist}_-_{song name}
                  /Music/Various Artists/{disc name}/{track#}_-_{artist}_-_{song name}
                  /Spoken/
                  /Spoken/{author}/{book title}/{chapter #}_-_{chapter name}
                  /Video
                  /Video/{movie title}

I also keep detailed information in the ID3 tags as well, and I have a number of scripts that will intelligently rename and retag to my specs just about anything I throw at them.

I find that the combination of strict file and directory naming combined with ID3 tagging to provide the best support to the most diverse collection of software.

BTW, I avoid genre's altogether since most of what I listen to is simply unclassifiable.

-p.
                  heh, what do you listen to?
                  Progress - VIA EPIA SP8000 | 120 Opus Power Supply & Case | 1GB Ram | 120GB 2.5" Hard Drive | Bluetooth 2.0 | GPRS/3G | Wifi | Road Runner/LSX 2.0 (waiting for a day skin for 3.0) | iGuidance 4.0 | Lilliput 7"

Comment

I only have music in the CarPC at the moment, so it's fairly simple.
                    :\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<TrackNo> - <Title>.ext

Examples

D:\Music\Alanis Morissette\Jagged Little Pill\02 - You Oughta Know.mp3
                    D:\Music\Various Artists\Pulp Fiction\15 - Surf Rider.mp3

The reason I do this is to cater for multi-artist albums, e.g. compilations, film soundtracks etc.
                    All these fields available in the IDv3 tags, I use MediaMonkey to do the dirty work with my cds.
                    As for Genre, it's a great idea, but is a song rock, rock/pop, brit pop etc? It seems too subjective to work. If I ever get time I'll go through all 20 GB of music and try to label it...
                    As for the RR list thing, WinAmp 2.95 has a tag based library function (I’m sure other versions have it too but this is the one I use). To set this up run WinAmp, right click the main window and select "Library" from the dropdown list. Click the “Library” button at the bottom to browse to a directory to add to the library. In the above example I would browse to D:\Music to add all song to the library.
                    This will add 3 entries to the top of your directory list in RR <Artist>, <Album>, <Genre>. For some reason the first time I did this it didn't work, but reloading the directory into the WinAmp library seemed to do the trick.
                    www.debthelpexpert.org

Comment

check out www.musicbrainz.org
                      it will scan ur mp3s for the right name from a database then retag em and saves them in folders

mine are in artist/album
                      View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

hmm that site sounds great... I get a "cannot be found error though. Google doesn't bring anything up either

Comment

Thank you... That is just the greatest thing ever

I'm now using Tag&Rename to check the tags and musicbrainz to update/rename them...
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                          X