Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few Phidget questions

Hey guys,

Just found out about the Phidgets 8/8/8 (yeah, i'm a little slow!) and it looks pretty cool. If I understand correctly, all of the funtions of the board are controllable from RR, correct? Seems cool. Where do you guys buy from, PhidgetsUSA? Also - their site said something about requiring specialized cables (that only THEY carry) to interface with the analog inputs. Is this true, or are there other solutions?

What are you guys all using yours for?

Thanks,
    Dan

Anybody?

Comment

The analog inputs need the custom cables only if you are using something other then their sensors. If you are going to use their sensors, it looks like the sensors will come with the cable. Otherwise, make them yourself! It doesn't look all that difficult.

And I believe that RR is working on adding complete support. I don't know about relay control yet.
      2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
      7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
      80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

yes, the cables are special, but only in the sense that the connect is a 3 pin that i personally have not seen anywhere, so best thing is to get the sensors at phidgetsusa and you will get a cable with it, and you can order longer ones as well. i am currently working on full phidgets support, by doing digital input and output. so it will be a good buy if you are using RR.

Jan
        Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

Cables

Originally posted by dmurray14
          Also - their site said something about requiring specialized cables (that only THEY carry) to interface with the analog inputs. Is this true, or are there other solutions?
          This is from their documentation:

http://phidgets.com/documentation/1013.pdf

Creating Custom Analog and Digital Devices
          While the Interface Kit and its off the shelf devices will satisfy almost all needs, the occasional developer may want to include a sensor, switch or output type that is not available through Phidgets. Fortunately, this is still very easy to do, and only a rudimentary knowledge of electronics is needed. Read on!
          Using the Analog Inputs
          Each analog input uses a 3-pin, 0.100 inch pitch locking connector. Pictured here is a plug with the connections labeled. If this is wired backwards, damage to your sensor may result. The Interface Kit provides + 5 VDC, ground, and an analog input with a range of 0 to 5V.We offer an expanding line of packaged sensors that can be plugged directly into the analog inputs. Experienced users are encouraged to interface their own sensors.The connector is manufactured by Molex, part number 50-57-9403 and 16-02-0102 for the wire crimp insert, and is available from many sources including www.DigiKey.com (Digi-Key part numbers WM2901-ND and WM2510-ND). If you want to create your own sensor boards than you can use one of the following Molex connectors on the circuit board: 70543-0002, 70553-0002, 70553-0037, 15-91-2035 (Digi-Key part numbers: WM4801-ND, WM4901-ND, WM4925-ND, WM1341-ND).
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys...didn't see all their sensors. I wanted a few temperature sensors to put around the car, and maybe a voltage sensor. The digital ins and outs could be cool, too...

Dan

Comment

Thanks for the info whodwho!!...

I will Probably end up getting one of these once RR is able to control/read all aspects of it...
              RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
              Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
              Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
              RRMedia
              RRExtended
              DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Comment

Those connectors look the same that most cd players use for audio output, so there is nothing special about them...

nigel f

Comment

Originally posted by Nigelfenton
                  Those connectors look the same that most cd players use for audio output, so there is nothing special about them...

nigel f
                  CD players are 4 pin...

Comment

What aspects of the 8/8/8 can RR control currently, and what can't it?

Comment

dam... i had to check as well.... SORRY .....

yes you are correct they are 4 pin but only 3 are used (generally) so if you were stuck for a connector with an Xato or stanley knife a 3 pin could be crafted. ?

nigel

Comment

as far as i know it can show you input from temperature sensors and voltage sensors with conversion to fahrenheit or celcius and also skippy has done some relay control implementation, i have not tried it though. Also an offset value has been introduced to calibrate sensors further than they already are. I am then working on making the rest of the functions from the 8/8/8 card available in different ways in the skins (digital input and output)
                        Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

the relay stuff got cut off by accident on the latest release he made.. but will be back on the next one.
                          Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                          "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Shall also try to get Digital state indicators done too.

Andrew
                            06 Volvo XC90
                            Use to have installed MII 10000/512Mb/40GB, Lilliput 7", OPUS 90W, Wifi-G PCMCIA, Head Unit Aux adapter, Delorme GPS, XM PCR, Audigy NX, RR
                            Car PC downloads: http://carpc.harteveldt.com/

Comment

You guys are awesome...

Comment

Working...
                              X