Problems Playing VOB files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Playing VOB files

I installed Road Runner a couple of months ago and love it. The only issue i have is that I cannot properly play VOB files. I have several movies on the CarPC ripped into there own seperate folders. (used DVD Shrink) When i try to play a VOB file it will not play from the beginning. Batman Beyone skips 32 minutes in. Caddshack goes about 40 minutes in. American Pie band camp wont even start. I have tried several skins. I have tried using the built in player an external player. I can launch the videos fine with Power DVD but it will not go to the next VOB file automatically.

Please help with this as it is the only thing keeping my car pc project for being a success.

Thanks in advance!

well, if the Ripped DVD doesn't even work with PowerDVD, then it sounds like you have an issue with your Ripped files... the question is.. when the movie starts playing at 32 minutes in the movie, can you actually rewind back to the beginning of the movie ? All RR will do is load the files sequencially (in order by filename) and play the files.. if your files were ripped out of order or if they're damaged in any way, they will just be skipped..
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

it actually will play with Power DVD only power dvd wont start the next file automatically. When it starts at 32 minutes it is actually jumping to the second file even though i told it to start with the first one. You cannot rewind it.

Comment

I'd try removing the other files and see if it plays the first VOB.. if it doesn't then you know that something is wrong with the codec you're using that it isn't able to decode the first file.. PowerDVD/WinDVD both have their own internal decoders so they will not use any VOB filters/codecs you installed on the machine.. chances are that if you install a different VOB Filter/Codec it may just work right.
        Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
        "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Should i remove power dvd and install something else? Any specific codecs i should install?

Comment

what VOB codec are people using. I have tried several but to no avail. I am able to play the movies fine with Media Player and Power DVD.

Comment

Do you do a full backup, or just the main movie?

Comment

All i copy is the main movie.

Comment

have you tried, ripping to one big VOB file instead of 2-3 "1gb" files..

Comment

Originally posted by stevent76
                    Should i remove power dvd and install something else? Any specific codecs i should install?

a great program to try is VLC, it can eat really evertyting. even a rar'ed dvd.. etc. i only encoutred problems with 3gp (nokia) files. it's a good program to test your vob files, but i couldn't get it integrated nicely in rr ( i still see the the program bar

edit: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Comment

DVD Shrink is a great app for re-encoding a DVD to a lower bitrate to burn to a 4.7 GB DVD-R. The problem you are having is not with the players or codec, if it was you couldn't see or hear anything. My reccomendations is to export your rip in DVD Shrink to an .iso image, which will keep the DVD compliant file structure. I also suggest downloading the latest Daemon Tools, to use to mount the DVD images you create, it's like having a virtual DC\DVD rom drive for iso, bin, and & nrg images. I use this solution before I started using external USB CD\DVD-Rom drives.

Comment

Originally posted by polomaniac
                        a great program to try is VLC, it can eat really evertyting. even a rar'ed dvd.. etc. i only encoutred problems with 3gp (nokia) files. it's a good program to test your vob files, but i couldn't get it integrated nicely in rr ( i still see the the program bar

edit: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
                        I installed the program this morning and it looks like i am a step closer. Now I have sound but no video. Now it will start from the beginning of the movie though. I will play with it some more today at lunch.

Comment

Working...
                        X