• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start a RoadRunner Wiki?

---------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: http://roadrunner.pbwiki.com

password: rr06

note: this will hopefully change soon and content will be moved also..

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What would you guys think about starting a Wiki for comprehensive RoadRunner documentation?

I love RoadRunner, but I find I often have to really dig to figure out what some things do, how to set them, etc.

If we start a Wiki, everyone can contribute and the outcome would be some thorough documentation. Everything from usage, to skinning, to configuration, to using the SDK.

If you dont know what a wiki is, you can read on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

Yay or Nay?

I'd be willing to host it, set it up and 'oversee' it if guino approves.

-Chris

EDIT: To the people voting "no": Please atleast post and explain why you dont think we should have one.
    Yes
    91.43%
    No
    8.57%
    2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
    Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
    Install Status: DONE

My XM FAQ

I was thinking about that but then I decided against it for one reason really: the others aren't open source (as far as I know). I believe the only exception is pycar, which I honestly haven't tried out.
    2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
    Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.

My XM FAQ

Comment

I see what your saying,it would be nice to be able to .There has been a flurry of additions in the past few months and its really hard to keep up with the changes some times.

In reality though its just re-inventing the wheel,this forum is the manual and it would be very difficult to document such a rapidly evolving Open Source program.
      P4 2.8 HT, 512Mb Ram, 60Gb 2.5 HD, M4-ATX, SB Audigy2, BU353, Lilliput TS,Soundgraph Imon VFD,SONY Optiarc dvd Burner,RideRunner, iGo8, Custom Freedom 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by Griff1
        In reality though its just re-inventing the wheel,this forum is the manual and it would be very difficult to document such a rapidly evolving Open Source program.
        That's the whole point of the Wiki. RoadRunner has a huge user base and if they contribute, the manual will build itself.

The whole point of the wiki is to allow everyone to make contributions. If that happens, little by little we'll have a RoadRunner bible in our hands. It's not about flat out documenting it all at once, but incrementally, it will happen.
        2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1

My XM FAQ

Comment

Thats an awesome idea dude! I say lsets start it. Post up the link here, and Guino can make it a sticky and then just sit back and watch it grow! Would be an excellent resource for the community. Its too much of a pain in the *** to look through countless threads when searching. A wiki is a much better idea.
          ----------------------------------------------
          Civiputer: Dont have one anymore, but here is what is used to be!

Comment

Originally posted by Griff1
            Well i wish you luck,i really do but its hard to get the FAQ's updated let alone cover everything else.If i were you i'd talk to the major contributors about writing up the FAQ,s for their Recent mod's first.
            I don't see it being simple, so I can agree with your point of view. However, if we can drill it into people's heads to "add it to the wiki!" (aka: nagging :P) when we see a problem solved/explained, it could be very sucessfull.

Heck, if everyone just adds a "Add it to the Wiki!" link in their signature, that might be a really good start

Edit: you deleted your post??
            2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1

My XM FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by nameeri
              Its too much of a pain in the *** to look through countless threads when searching. A wiki is a much better idea.
              Glad you agree. That was exactly my thinking when trying to figure out wtf the round image in the background (touch pad) was lol :P
              2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1

My XM FAQ

Comment

I have to agree on this totally. As a user and not a contibuter I have to ask what is the point in adding features if nobody but the elite can actually work out how to use them. Roadrunner is great and the added features are more than welcome but if people either dont know about them or dont know how to access them, I for one would have to ask why. It isnt a hard bit of software to use when you know how but I have seen me searching in here more than I have actually used the software.
                Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

I think a wiki is a great idea. the structure needs to be well thought out though, otherwise it will be more like the forum to find info
                  Current:
                  [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
                  [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Originally posted by sama
                    I think a wiki is a great idea. the structure needs to be well thought out though, otherwise it will be more like the forum to find info
                    Good point. My general idea was:

RoadRunner Structure
                    - How it works
                    - ie: flow overview
                    - Directory structure (what the contents are)
                    - File naming conventions and what they do

Configuration
                    - Basic setup Options
                    - Display Options
                    - Functionality Options

Usage
                    - How-to on all different modules including:
                    - usage
                    - behaviour modification

Developing Skins
                    - skin command reference
                    - examples
                    - customizing an existing skin

Developing plugins/applications with SDK
                    - Sending/receiving messages
                    - Developing with the base plugin
                    - making your program embeddable, etc...

How to contribute to the source
                    - overview of code flow
                    - where to find what functionality (detailed list of modules/classes and what they do?)

and the list could go on and on...
                    2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1

My XM FAQ

Comment

this is a great idea! I for one would use and contribute regularly.
                      01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                      01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                      mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

excellent ides, I'm just starting out with road runner and I only have the basics set up and it usually takes me 2 or 3 tries to get everything working correctly. editing a .ini or using the road ruuner config is great and all, but most people I think are used to having a UI with some clearly defined options that we can set and check/uncheck, and this is definately more advanced than that.

Don't ge me wrong, Road Runner is an awesome program and it's amazing that it's free, but a WIKI with a nice clean layout would be the perfect manual for a program that gets updated as often as this one

Comment

and pyro that structure looks good to go.
                          01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                          01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                          mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

I vote YES. I'm pretty shure that all off us are missing out on some of the available commands and how they are used.
                            It will be a RoadRunner Encyclopedia
                            The road is long but we are getting there.

Comment

Working...
                            X