Web Browser Keyboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Browser Keyboard

I have skinned a brushed aluminium keyboard that works well with my skin, but not when I load Firefox or IE. As soon as I press a key on the keyboard, it sends the key to the browser, then disappears under the app. It works fine however with my External GPS. Am I doing something wrong ?

I previously used the Microsoft OSK.EXE free with windows but found the keyboard size impractical for car use, and so with searching, found the virtual keyboard by I think Silent Admirer, which does most of what I want. . . . except for the Bl&&$% Web skin !

Any ideas?

cheers KPJUK
    M1000, 512MB, 512MB CF, 6GB Disk (4200rpm),
    DVD/RW, Dynamix 8" screen, M2-ATX, Custom case,Too many hours building and rebuilding and rebuild.......

how are you loading the web screen, this is a very picky feature, you HAVE to use the WEB command, or you're on your own.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

I've got an OSK prob too on my web browser. I'm using the MC2.0 skin/WEB command/Portable Firefox and it all seems to embed properly. When I open the osk to type in the address bar, google, etc. it only sends the last character typed. Any thoughts?

Comment

I am using the following button to lauch the skin, but I have tried the longhand LOAD method as well, bith with the same results.

B30,588,204,192,87,"WEB||RUN;skins\1Black\Keyboard \VirtualKeybd.exe","Firefox"

would it be better to use the new onskinstart event to fire off the keyboard ?

KPJUK
        DVD/RW, Dynamix 8" screen, M2-ATX, Custom case,Too many hours building and rebuilding and rebuild.......

Comment

Wait, so you're using an external OSK and not RR's built-in OSK? You're pretty much on your own, then.

onskinstart fires when you switch to another skin so it won't work here.
          iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
          CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

This OSK is the keyboard created by SIlentAdmirer, and used in a few skins. It works fine on other embedded apps, e.g. external GPS, but not with the Web browser. If I fire up Firefox or IE and then fire up the virtual keyboard then it works fine, but when either Firefox or IE are embedded, it disappears behind the app as soon as a key is pressed.

I also have a "built in" OSK skin, but you lose site of the app fields behind the keyboard when you fire it up, which is not ideal.

Previously I used the Microsoft OSK that comes free with windows, and that worked fine, but the keys on an 8" screen are just too small. The Virtual Keyboard created by one of the forum members is ideal, and can be easily skinned to suit the rest of your theme, it just behaves differently with an embedded browser, and I don't know why.
            KPJUK

Comment

Keyboard now working

Well, I have renamed the skins www.skin instead of wbrowser.skin, then done the longhand LOAD, and the keyboard now works !

I will try firefox again to see if that and IE work in the renamed skin, and post my results.

KPJUK
              Attached Files

Comment

Sorted !

The issue appears to have been with the skin name. When I use the name wBrowser.skin, the Virtual Keyboard doesn't work, but changing the skin name to www.skin and the problem goes away. I guess the skin name must have special meaning in RR, and is treated a different way.

I can thoroughly recommend Virtual Keyboard from SilentAdmirer who I don't think comes here any more.

I have re-skinned it with a Brushed Aluminium finish, and one of Mauri's skins also uses it if you don't like mine, or there is the original

Good Luck to anyone else who wants to try it out.

All three versions are attached :
                VirtualKeybd.zip Original version
                keyboard.zip Mauri's version
                OSK-BVOA.zip KPJUK Version
                Attached Files

Comment

Well...as to my problem, I'm using the built in osk

Comment

Hi Neo,

try one of the options below !

KPJUK

Comment

great. glad to hear you got it working.
                      iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
                      CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

Sorry...to clarify, do you want me to try another option such as change the skin name or use an external OSK?

Comment

I had similar issues using OSK's for Road Runner, and while I had my CarPC in the house, I used the M$ OSK, which worked well for all screens. Using it in the car however was a nightmare as the buttons where to small. The alternative was to use the built in OSK's, but they generally work as a full screen keybopard, and I wanted to be able to see the fields I was typing into.

I trawled the boards, and found a couple of options, Uboard, and Virtual Keyboard, so I decided to re-skin the Virtual Keyboard to match the rest of my skin. My suggestion was to have a go in using one of the keyboard style in the three zips below.

Virtual keyboard is an exe program, which when you fire it up, puts a toggle button on your desktop. The button is contained in the file KBIcon.jpg. You can control the position of the button in the ini file (KB.ini).

I have changed KBIcon.jpg to be the same as part of my skin, and when I load for example the web browser skin, I have a button my menu skin that reads:

B30,588,204,192,87,"RUN;skins\1Black\Keyboard\Virt ualKeybd.exe||LOAD;www.skin;!MozillaUIWindowClass;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe;Firefox"

This runs the keyboard app, and loads the skin, then embeds Firefox.

To use the new keyboard, I click the left mouse button or touch the button on my touch screen. To close the keyboard app, I click the right mouse on the button.

My suggestion was for you to change your skin, and try this out. You have three keyboard styles to choose from, and you could even try and skin your own keyboard if you wanted.

KPJUK

Comment

NeoMatrixJR:

Did you ever fix your problem with the OSK in the Web Browser? I am having the exact same problem that you described. It only would register the last letter I would type. Any chance Guino you know what is up with this?
                            "I'm going back to Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), I'm going back to Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), Cali(Iraq), I know so!!!!" Now I'm here!!

By "ToneRiddle"

Comment

haven't messed much with it. I have a bluetooth pda keyboard that I usually use...it would just be nice to have the OSK when I don't want to dig that out for typing one or two words.

Comment

Working...
                              X