Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS Woes, ?, after ShowGPS install - Help...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Woes, ?, after ShowGPS install - Help...

Guys -

I am hurtin, and looking for ideas and help. I installed a few days ago SimpleGPS which showed up in one of the skins here - neat app - but comes with a flavor of xport3. Ever since that - I can't get IG or RR to recognize solid GPS data...

1 - It's hard to xplain... But I have gutted 2 boxes and something seems to be lingering, maybe someone has seen this. ShowGPS (still seems to work, this is a german app, and sees my GPS - works - grabs data.....)

2 - I completely remove ShowGPS, IG3 finds my GPS with or without xport, and shows in info how many GPS satellites but seems to really not to be doing anything with the data at all - tracking - the satellite strength signals don't show either.

3 - RR does no MPH, heading is not working....

4 - XPort2 shows at the bottom of the window all of the data flow and clearly its accepting data into the feed, couple that with #1 and if we did not have these 2 I would assume my GPS was toast....

I am WAY CONFUSED and have this on 2 boxes, CarPC and Laptop but on both I at once loaded the ShowGPS app and just seem to time it to this install but not many hooks with it. I've uninstalled the GPS, changed the port assignments, and u name it.... Again IG3 sees the GPS, shows some satellites, but simply seems to not be understanding the data passing thru.

Ideas --- ? Anything at all --- ?

Thanks for anything

If RR can read the GPS directly (no XPort or other software), and IG can read the GPS directly, then most likely it's an issue configuring the interfacing application (Xport etc).. If RR can NOT read the GPS directly by itself, please make a log of your GPS data and send it to me so I can figure out the issue.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Guino -

Thanks for the speedy assist on this - this one was way up on the flaky factor. I spent about 3 days on it and (fyi this is the MS GPS / Pharoh 360), and seemed to work with this SimpleGPS app - which also was the day it began not working in anything else..... I can't believe this GPS has any NVRAM that the app could have altered - but smells like that.

Bottom line - I did go and grab a new one. Issue gone.... And just was stunned. I also grabbed a Garmon GPS to which I plan to test with.

Here is the funky piece - there as you've seen is some neat stuff in that SimpleGPS and want to try it again - but have you ever heard of a GPS having NVRAM that this app could have altered / changed hence causing IG and RR not to be able to then interpret....? Damn - just very odd and xport was clearly pulling data and IG saw satellites ....

Thanks again for the offer on this Guino - much much appreciated...

I am right down the road on Lou I think you mention being in Lexington...

Tk care - thx for the killer app...

Originally posted by guino View Post
      If RR can read the GPS directly (no XPort or other software), and IG can read the GPS directly, then most likely it's an issue configuring the interfacing application (Xport etc).. If RR can NOT read the GPS directly by itself, please make a log of your GPS data and send it to me so I can figure out the issue.

Comment

there are different options and protocol settings for some GPS devices.. some applications will for instance switch the GPS to SIRF instead of NMEA (and not all applications can read SIRF -- RR can't). This highly depends on the GPS used.
        Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
        "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

There is no doube that SimpleGPS did some of that when I was working with it. What struck me as unusual is that the GPS device would actually maintain some of these settings vs the app iteself.... I am going to work with it a little more tomorrow - but if you take a look at that app you will see exactly what I mean.

I'd hate to screw up the new one and be in the same boat, better path is to try and reverse the changes perhaps made. I just don't believe this hw is bad - but I tested this on 3 different PC's.... completely different and 1 of them never even had IG or the GPS installed on it.

Summary - wonder if it changed the way it's talking and SimpleGPS understands what it's spitting out but IG and RR don't now...

I will approach it that way. Again thanks Guino....

there are different options and protocol settings for some GPS devices.. some applications will for instance switch the GPS to SIRF instead of NMEA (and not all applications can read SIRF -- RR can't). This highly depends on the GPS used.

Comment

Guino -

Sure did.... at least at my first look here, and amazing my mind was able to trace this back this far. So amazing this stuck in the GPS, vs some INI or local file. I think I farted around with ShowGPS to revert it back and am still testing but believe I have it back to NMEA and was in SIRF.... Thanks for the data on this and simply did not feel like this hardware was completely toast and glad it was not.

Bad day in Lexington man.... been watchin the tube all day

Comment

Working...
            X