• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Guino: USB Radio FM with RDS from Silabs

Hi Guino,

I have seen the following product at Silabs web site:

Link to product specifications is:

http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/publ...USBFMRadio.htm

Silabs manufacture an USB FM Radio that looks really good at a price of $35. They also provide the schematics for designing porpouses, application notes and software to run into windows XP.

Could it be easy to integrate this product under full control of RR ?

Thanks,
    Antonio
    aimi Car Infotainment
    &
    Ride Runner
    by
    NISU Automotive
    Hermosilla, 117 - Madrid -Spain
    Tel: +34 91 402 9005

If it has any sort of SDK/API, then I'd be glad to add support for it. The question is: did you find it for sale anywhere, cause it wasn't available at any of the distributors listed on their site. If we can buy one and we can get some sort of documentation, please let me know.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Hi Guino,

Yes, it can be purchased online in Silabs web site from one unit to as much as you want, and they also sayd in their web link under "worldwide sales" that they sale to all the world. This is the reason to post you this message. It sounds a good product, available anyware and not expensive.

You can try in the Silabs USBFM product web page, to click on the purchase online icon and will be redirected to www.mouser.com which seems to be their wordlwide premier distributor.

The following is a copy of Mouser.com help regarding international sales:

The following are additional terms and conditions for orders shipping outside the United States. We look forward to doing business with you. If you need any additional information, please let us know by e-mailing us at orders@mouser.com or at one of the e-mail addresses listed below.

No Handling Fees
      Orders shipped via International Global Mail, UPS Worldwide Express or FedEx International Priority are not charged any handling fees.
      International orders are normally shipped complete. If any item must be back ordered, the order will be held until all items can be shipped together. However, if you want to ship items that are in stock immediately and ship back ordered items when they arrive, please state that multiple shipments are acceptable in the "Order Comments" section during the checkout process.

How to Order:
      Online: www.mouser.com
      Fax: 817- 804-3898
      Tel: 817-804-3848
      Toll Free in Canada: 800-346-6873
      Currency: US Dollars

Europe Sales: eusales@mouser.com
      Asia/Australia Sales: asia@mouser.com
      Canada Sales: canadasales@mouser.com
      Mexico/Central/So. America Sales: latinsales@mouser.com

Minimum Order:
      NO MINIMUM ORDER on items normally stocked in our warehouse.

International Shipping Charges:
      We ship orders via UPS or FedEX with delivery in 2 to 3 days to most locations worldwide at special low prices.
      aimi Car Infotainment
      &
      Ride Runner
      by
      NISU Automotive
      Hermosilla, 117 - Madrid -Spain
      Tel: +34 91 402 9005

Comment

what about documentation ?
        Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
        "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

what guino is saying. if you would like to purchase one, he needs documentation or the SDK(software development kit) so he can RR control the unit. I also beleive guino stil uses a HU for fm, but im sure that if you buy one and want to send it to him instead of the software alone, he'll send it back when hes done. lol

the only other thing i question is how good the reception would be while moving. the HQCT utilizes the cars antenna system to amplify the signal recieved. looking at that unit im not seeing how much of a db gain there could possibly be. buy one and let us know :P
          MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
          M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
          7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
          Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
          Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

silab Documentation

Silab has some technical documentation regarding the specific USB radio implementation.
            According to the specs it use only standard USB audio & HID interfaces.
            USB Profile—This device presents four different interfaces to the host when it enumerates. Three of these are active at any given time. The audio control interface is used by the host to control different parts of the audio
            functions. There is also a zero-bandwidth streaming interface and a full-bandwidth streaming interface. Only one of these interfaces is used at a time. Finally, there is a Human Interface Device (HID) interface used for all other required device communication, such as controlling the Si4701 and upgrading the C8051F321 flash image.

I attached the found document (divided in two becouse of the 200Kb limit!)

Guino I'm planning also to buy it and to make a RoadRunner plugin unless you or others does not want to do the task.
            Attached Files
            You can download my Road Runner plugin from: http://www.alibri.it/RRMobile/RRMobile.htm

Comment

This seems pretty decent.. wonder if they provide the source code for that app. -- that way we could just integrate it like we did for the other applications (make it run hidden, accept commands from RR and send statuses to RR). If you want to do the work, be my guest.. do it however you feel it's best.
              Ride Runner RR's Myspace

Comment

Ta daaaa!!!!

Originally posted by guino View Post
                This seems pretty decent.. wonder if they provide the source code for that app. -- that way we could just integrate it like we did for the other applications (make it run hidden, accept commands from RR and send statuses to RR). If you want to do the work, be my guest.. do it however you feel it's best.
                The USB radio use the C8051F32x chip to control the radio chip.
                "The USBXpress development kit provides a complete host and device software solution for interfacing CP210x, C8051F32x and C8051F34x devices to the Universal Serial Bus (USB). No USB protocol or host device driver expertise is required"

I downloaded the toolkit and.....I found a Visual Basic 6 example code !!!! (attached)

You want more?

OK I just found that one of the worldwide resellers is in my town and has 2 available items!!!
                Attached Files
                You can download my Road Runner plugin from: http://www.alibri.it/RRMobile/RRMobile.htm

Comment

That's awesome.. now you really have many options.. but I would get one and play with it before doing any work on it (I mean, what if the reception isn't good etc ?).. other than that, seems simple enough to integrate directly in RR or to at least use ComSend/modCom to integrate with the SDK method (as it is with the Cinergy and Blaupunkt cards).
                  Ride Runner RR's Myspace

Comment

I have the source for that app

SiLabs no longer supports the source, so it has been taken down from the site.

If you want the source (written in C++) send me a PM and I'll email it to you, it's too big to attach.

Also, please visit http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64550

Look for posts by me. There is one that has a Radiator compatible DLL that works for this device. The only problem is that to get clear audio I have to boost the priority of Radiator to above normal, which can make RR sluggish if you're doing things other than just listening to the radio. I've been meaning to toy around with that plugin a bit more, but I've been pretty busy at home/work lately and just haven't had time.

Comment

That's awesome.. now you really have many options.. but I would get one and play with it before doing any work on it (I mean, what if the reception isn't good etc ?).. other than that, seems simple enough to integrate directly in RR or to at least use ComSend/modCom to integrate with the SDK method (as it is with the Cinergy and Blaupunkt cards).

Good!

Also keep in mind that IF the data interface is well designed by the silab guys is worth the effort to manage a couple of devices to create a "diversity" radio like the original one I have in my car.

Instead to simply tune the radio you have one receiver that costantly scan the band and give back the list of the radio found. The second receiver is used to tune the selected frequency if a better signal is found by the first receiver the second is instructed to change the frequency.

Just an idea...

Comment

Originally posted by RRMobile View Post
                        Good!

Also keep in mind that IF the data interface is well designed by the silab guys is worth the effort to manage a couple of devices to create a "diversity" radio like the original one I have in my car.

Instead to simply tune the radio you have one receiver that costantly scan the band and give back the list of the radio found. The second receiver is used to tune the selected frequency if a better signal is found by the first receiver the second is instructed to change the frequency.

Just an idea...
                        In theory this should work with two of these devices with some modification of the source. I've spent some time in the SiLabs source so I know that this should be possible if you're willing to spend the time with it. I think that more will be gained from changing the sound API to use Direct Sound as opposed to the waveIn and waveOut APIs. I'm strongly considering working on that, personally.

Comment

This item has been brought up a few times in the past. Has anyone heard any info on signal quality of this thing? Much cheaper alternative than the HQCT radio.
                          2011 Nissan Frontier SL
                          AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
                          OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...9&postcount=56
                            2011 Nissan Frontier SL
                            AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
                            OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Tomorrow i will pass to the shop to buy a couple of them and I will compare the reception with my stock Audi 5.000$ system that has a diversity radio system!

I'll let you know

Comment

Working...
                              X