xmcache question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xmcache question

I have to constantly hit RELOAD in the XM menu to eventually get all the channels to list. It is very frustrating. I've been reading that the xmcache.ini holds the channel names however when I finally get all the XM channels, I keep RR open and open up xmcache.ini and nothing is there. If I close down RR, still, nothing is in xmcache.ini so the next time I start RR I have to go through the whole process over again. How does this xmcache.ini file work?

RR normally should save this file when you close it (unless you don't let it finish reloading all channels). I understand there has always been issues with this feature (mainly because it works with my tuners and not with others), so, there's a fail safe:

-Download the XMCACHE.INI from RR's binary package
    -Copy it over your current INI
    -Make it read only

RR will detect that and never touch the file again -- this should prevent you from having to reload the list. Whenever you want to edit/change the channels information, you can edit the INI by hand or remove the read-only attribute and your hand at the reload again.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Ok, thanks. BTW, I have the XMD device.

Comment

The xmcache.ini in the RR Binary is outdated. I made a new xmcache.ini based on the xmradio website listing.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm trying to change what the channel name is displayed as by editing the xmcache.ini. For example, I change line 3 from "XM Preview" to "Test". When I load RR and XM skin, I see channel 1 name as "Test", but when it refreshes the data it goes back to "XM Preview". I've made xmcache.ini read-only, and when I exit RR and look at it my changes are still there (i.e. line 3 still says "Test").

What is going on? Are the channel names stored any other place? How does it know it's "XM Preview"?

EDIT: To answer my own question, I think the channel name data and genre are transmitted along with the artist and track names.

Follow-up question: Is it possible to control how the channels are displayed within RR? For example, instead of ###. Channel Name / Artist Name/ Track Name just display ###. Artist Name / Track Name?

Comment

Originally posted by bruha View Post
            I'm trying to change what the channel name is displayed as by editing the xmcache.ini. For example, I change line 3 from "XM Preview" to "Test". When I load RR and XM skin, I see channel 1 name as "Test", but when it refreshes the data it goes back to "XM Preview". I've made xmcache.ini read-only, and when I exit RR and look at it my changes are still there (i.e. line 3 still says "Test").

What is going on? Are the channel names stored any other place? How does it know it's "XM Preview"?
            The names are temporary. The only important thing in that list is the channel number. XM pushes new title/artist information frequently and RR polls for that so RR will display whatever that channel is pushing for its display (or pad data as they call it)

Comment

Working...
            X