Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RoadNav FREE Open Source GPS Mapping!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RoadNav FREE Open Source GPS Mapping!

    I just ran across this in a post by esachs and felt this deserved it's own thread for sure, and not to be buried somewhere in the forums.

    RoadNav is a 100% Free GPS open source program! I just downloaded it to check it out, and found it to be quite stable, and rivaling many of the commercial programs available! It has some features that make it QUITE at home for the CarPC market, and embeddng into a front end, such as:
    Resizable, Skinnable, every aspect of the maps (road size, color, Font sizes ect ect can be changed). It has auto switching between day and night skins. Uses TTS to annouce upcoming turns & directions.

    The program has an "auto downloader" built in to download the maps. Roadnav uses the free TIGER/Line files from the US Census Bureau to build the maps, along with the GNIS state and topical gazetteer data from the USGS to identify locations. The real advantage to this is these maps are always being updated, and you can just download new maps for free as they become available.

    I can't speak for other area's, but the maps for my area are VERY up to date and accurate!

    As mentioned, this is an open source project, and they are looking for people to help, and take care of some of the items on their "to-do list".

    You can find more out about the program AT THEIR WEBSITE

    Here is a quick screen capture I did just a couple minutes after downloading the program:
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

    My Fiero Build Thread

  • #2
    Also check out Roadster. Some screenshots here. Also free, uses cairo for rendering, very nice graphics, better than Roadnav IMHO. Seems to use less resources and be more responsive too.
    Carputer Project Status:
    0% - Mobo died on 2/17/08
    Check out the worklog for my '01 Pathfinder.

    Comment


    • #3
      That does look pretty good, but not too helpful for the non programer types!
      Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

      My Fiero Build Thread

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by walstib View Post
        Also check out Roadster. Some screenshots here. Also free, uses cairo for rendering, very nice graphics, better than Roadnav IMHO. Seems to use less resources and be more responsive too.

        it looks like they copied ms streets and trips and just made it look slightly prettier, maybe even a frontend for it, the maps looks exactly the same from what i remember.
        Not sure why they would want to use S&T as a reference model , it has some pretty unfriendly ui elements and sucks monkey nuts for car navigation, but it seems they copied those too.
        01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
        01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

        beer replenishment fund
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
        mp3car live search

        i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hey LS, no, it's not streets and trips. The maps are actually a collection of information from the freely available US Cencus Bureau. The GUI is totally customizable through the program. such as street widths, colors, font sizes, ect ect. It has built in support for TerraServer (which I havent tried yet) to do a satellite hybrid map.

          It is not quite a completely polished product, but it's getting close. It will definately be something to keep an eye on, and in it's current state, a great program for someone that dosen't want to shell out $100 on a commercial application.
          Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

          My Fiero Build Thread

          Comment


          • #6
            Any FREE open source GPS Mapping software for UK/Europe ?
            All the above mentioned are for the USA only
            Car : Ford Focus Zetec S 1800cc
            Carpc :Galaxy GT-P1000 Original 7in Tab
            Mounted in "On Dash" Custom Install

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wizz View Post
              Any FREE open source GPS Mapping software for UK/Europe ?
              All the above mentioned are for the USA only
              no, afaik. but do not worry, these two can not do any kind on routing/route planning (yet) anyway.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
                Hey LS, no, it's not streets and trips. The maps are actually a collection of information from the freely available US Cencus Bureau. The GUI is totally customizable through the program. such as street widths, colors, font sizes, ect ect. It has built in support for TerraServer (which I havent tried yet) to do a satellite hybrid map.

                It is not quite a completely polished product, but it's getting close. It will definately be something to keep an eye on, and in it's current state, a great program for someone that dosen't want to shell out $100 on a commercial application.
                but it does look like they used S&T as a reference.
                I wouldnt mind trying it out but looks like they dont have a download avail only the source and you have to build it your self. Is this true or can it be downloaded somewhere else?
                01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

                beer replenishment fund
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                mp3car live search

                i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LagunaICE View Post
                  no, afaik. but do not worry, these two can not do any kind on routing/route planning (yet) anyway.
                  oh, never mind, no point if it cant route yet.
                  01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                  01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

                  beer replenishment fund
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                  mp3car live search

                  i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I did a good review of this program last week in the GPS thread

                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85348


                    It can route and is very usable. My thread has tests on windows XP beast and fedora core 5 linux
                    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

                    AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
                      I just ran across this in a post by esachs and felt this deserved it's own thread for sure, and not to be buried somewhere in the forums.

                      RoadNav is a 100% Free GPS open source program! I just downloaded it to check it out, and found it to be quite stable, and rivaling many of the commercial programs available! It has some features that make it QUITE at home for the CarPC market, and embeddng into a front end, such as:
                      Resizable, Skinnable, every aspect of the maps (road size, color, Font sizes ect ect can be changed). It has auto switching between day and night skins. Uses TTS to annouce upcoming turns & directions.

                      The program has an "auto downloader" built in to download the maps. Roadnav uses the free TIGER/Line files from the US Census Bureau to build the maps, along with the GNIS state and topical gazetteer data from the USGS to identify locations. The real advantage to this is these maps are always being updated, and you can just download new maps for free as they become available.

                      I can't speak for other area's, but the maps for my area are VERY up to date and accurate!

                      As mentioned, this is an open source project, and they are looking for people to help, and take care of some of the items on their "to-do list".

                      You can find more out about the program AT THEIR WEBSITE

                      Here is a quick screen capture I did just a couple minutes after downloading the program:
                      Can you change those left buttons so they look better? Maybe just a simple image change or resource hack?
                      SUMMER CAR:
                      '96 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 LT1 Convertible
                      P3 Mobile 1.2GHz/512MB RAM/Dual HD/Lilliput/Soundblaster
                      XP MCE/RR/IG

                      WINTER CAR:
                      '02 Grand Am
                      CarPC Coming Soon!

                      CHECK OUT MY RR SKIN:
                      RoadFuse - CF Like Day & Night Skin Combo

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The buttons are easy to change. Just image files in the program directory named 'images' like any good open source project.
                        Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

                        AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X