upgrading motherboard and CPU for RR use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading motherboard and CPU for RR use

well im gunna get a new motherborad and CPU this weekend upgrading from a 350Mhz, well heres the question, how fast should i go for running RR as well as GPS when i get it. So my question is How fast of a CPU do i need to run RR smoothly? I was thinking a 2.0Ghz or 2.2Ghz, this is the store i'll be buying it from http://www.otvtech.com/pricelist/otvpricelist.pdf

Thanks in advance
    PC
    AMD 3500+ 2.2Ghz, MSI K9VGM-V Motherboard,
    Geil 512MB PC4200 DDR2-RAM, 7" Lilliput Touchscreen, 30GB HD
    Audio
    300 watt RMS 2 Channel MTX AMP, 500 watt RMS D-Class MTX AMP, 2 Front - 5 1/4" Sony Xplods,
    2 Back - 6 1/2" Sony Xplods, 12" MTX Sub

Mb & GPS

Welcome to the forums! 2.2Ghz or so is probably a good figure. It IS for the car, and will just be running Road Runner and GPS mostly. I would recommend going with at least 512Mb of memory to keep HD access down, and speed things up as well.

When you say GPS, do you mean software or hardware wise? Hardware wise just about any NMEA receiver will do. If you plan on mounting it internally or externally on the car is the next thing to concider, as many GPS receivers are not weather proof ect. When it comes to software, it really depends on where you live. In the US iGuidance has worked ver well for me, and integrates flawlessly into Road Runner. For other countries, I am not that versed on which is the better choice.
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

By GPS i meant how much CPU power and i guess RAM is need to keep RR and GPS software and hardware running smooth?

Also on a side note, i was thinking about iguidance, but not sure how well it would work for canadian cities, specifically Saskatoon, Sask
      PC
      Audio
      300 watt RMS 2 Channel MTX AMP, 500 watt RMS D-Class MTX AMP, 2 Front - 5 1/4" Sony Xplods,

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy View Post
        By GPS i meant how much CPU power and i guess RAM is need to keep RR and GPS software and hardware running smooth?

Also on a side note, i was thinking about iguidance, but not sure how well it would work for canadian cities, specifically Saskatoon, Sask
        Well I guess I answered your question indirectly

Hopefully one of our other neighbors to the North can answer that for you. The version of iGuidance I bought is strictly for the US and does no include Canada.
        Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

yea thanks for that.

So you can't buy a version for North America? I mean what if you were to come upto canada, that my be were you need it the most. on the iguidance site it list my province in the maps area, but how good the maps are is my real question?
          PC
          Audio

Comment

RR was running perfectly (not slow at all) on my PIII 933 until I added a few USB devices (bluetooth and a Radioshark). I think anything near 2GHz should be fine, especially if you're accustomed to working with 350MHz. I upgraded to a Celeron 2.7 and it's way overkill for RR and IG, but now I have headroom to play with other stuff like VISs and video playback if I want.

Keep in mind that the more RAM you add, the longer your resume from hibernate.

Comment

Originally posted by deus ex machina View Post
              Keep in mind that the more RAM you add, the longer your resume from hibernate.
              How does a greater amount of RAM effect the return from hibernation?
              PC
              Audio

Comment

Because the Data in RAM has to be wrote to your HDD each time shutdown and the reverse on startup. Buy the Way im running a 2.2GHz Celeron with 512MB Ram up from a P3 1GHz with 512MB and it's the business, no more worries about being able to run CF or RR vis etc.
                P4 Celeron 2.2 - 512MB - OPUS 250 - Audigy SE - BU353 - HQCT - No Speakers though :-(

Comment

Working...
                X