Can it be done?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can it be done?

how difficult would it be to have setup as part of RR like CF does?

For me this is CF biggest selling point, little need to venture into windoze.
    My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
    NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

AUto Setup

Theres not much need to "venture into Windoze" in the present state. You download the auto installer and it puts all the files in place. Run the RR config utility, and put in all of your paths, GPS port, ect, and you are done for the most part.

Customizing the skin, and such is of course many more steps.
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

I didn't mean just for your skin, I meant general RR options, same way CF has all its settings accessed via in program menus rather than having to p1$$ about editting INI's and XML files in a tex editor, or using RRConfig which requires a keyboard to operate...

It was only a thought
      My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
      NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

Originally posted by ShawJohn View Post

It was only a thought

Here's a thought

why don't you just run up a small embedded version of RRConfig, but with all the options.

just kidding, but that's what it needs, however it is easier said than done, there are so mnay different options available and so many new ones happening all the time it would be a pig to try and keep up todate.

Comment

its very doable, i even have my skin setup to do just this, just havnt filled out all the options that are avail. Its very tedious so im not sure if ill even finish it.
          The options specific to my skin alone are like 5 screens long. There are a TON of items in RR.ini and RRConfig only reads and saves about 2/3 of them.

Each item in RR.ini is available as a variable so you can use SETVAR and SAVETOINI to set and save the different settings. Things get tricky when the option you want to set is a path or a piece of hardware. For the path i just wrote a script that lets me browse different dir from inside RR and pick a path and or file name, havnt figured out picking hardware yet though.

Not sure when ill finish it, so much other stuff going on. But i was hoping someone would of just coded something up in whatever language, maybe as a plugin to RR so it uses the same skin engine.
          At some point even using RRConfig will be pointless when there are more options you have to manually type in vs those you dont.
          Also, im betting a lot of people (esp those new to RR) are very unaware of many of the config options and assume everything is set from inside RRConfig.
          01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
          01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
          mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post

there are so mnay different options available and so many new ones happening all the time it would be a pig to try and keep up todate.

There are ways to do it so the config app never needs updating and just adapts to any new entries in RR.ini, not that i know speficly what those ways are
            01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
            01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
            mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

I think this is along similar lines http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...2&postcount=14
              P4 2.8 HT, 512Mb Ram, 60Gb 2.5 HD, M4-ATX, SB Audigy2, BU353, Lilliput TS,Soundgraph Imon VFD,SONY Optiarc dvd Burner,RideRunner, iGo8, Custom Freedom 2.1

Comment

Installer

Originally posted by ShawJohn View Post
                I didn't mean just for your skin, I meant general RR options, same way CF has all its settings accessed via in program menus rather than having to p1$$ about editting INI's and XML files in a tex editor, or using RRConfig which requires a keyboard to operate... It was only a thought
                I was not referring to my skin at all. I am talking about the Road Runner installer. IT puts all the files in place, and the BMV2 skin all set up to work.

AFTER the installer is done, open the RR Config, and just put your GPS path, port, Music path, type of radio ect. It really is not that difficult, and only has to be done once. If you do not want to use a keyboard at all, I don't know what to tell you.

It also has to do with the skin you are intending to use. LiquidSmoke, a few others and myself, have written installers for our skins, to try to make it even easier to set up. BUT there is NO WAY to know each persons system, and account for that, such as if you are using Mappoint, Streets & Trips, iGuidance, Destinator, Your particular GPS port ect. ect. , Things like this can't be done automatically, and will have to be set by the end user.
                Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                X