Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a guide to getting voice recognition in RR?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a guide to getting voice recognition in RR?

I know that voice recognition was integrated into RR in May and that there is a thread related to that discussion that is over 30 pages long. I've read the whole things several times and I am still dazed and confused. Needless to say I can't get it to work for me, either. I wanted to post here so that it wouldn't get lost in that thread and hopefully any answer to me here will help others in the future.

Here is what I have done:

Install SAPI 5.1.
    Set up a Profile for me (it appears, I did this several months ago).
    Dusted off the dust
    Re-confirmed that the microphone is still picking up my voice in the Windows mixer
    Checked the box to enable Voice in RRCONFIG (I am running the RR version from November).
    Tested it by saying some system commands and no workie.

Then I thought that ok, even though it is "integrated" now, I must still need to extract the zip file from 0502 in the first post in that thread. So I extracted it into the RR root folder and it still doesn't work.

Is there a guide out there on how to get this working, by any chance?

i havnt tried the voice stuff in RR so i have no idea what steps need to be taken to get it all working, but have you turned it on in rr.ini?

usevoicecontrol=true|false
    01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
    01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
    mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

Originally posted by liquid_smoke View Post
      i havnt tried the voice stuff in RR so i have no idea what steps need to be taken to get it all working, but have you turned it on in rr.ini?

usevoicecontrol=true|false
      I am about to walk out to my car to head home for the evening, so I will check this again, but I did check the rr.ini this morning and I am virtually certain that the line was something more like:

voiceenable=true

I dunno and I am not questioning your syntax, but it highlights the challenge here. We have an OP from January, an announcement from May that the ability was integrated, several zip files from before and after that date with .dlls and I believe there are also these references to different .ini values....

Comment

I also have not set up voice control, but am pretty sure that:

usevoicecontrol = Speak commands to RR to control it

voiceenable = Lets RR speak to you using the systems default Test To Speech voice
        Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

i dont think the entry is in RRConfig, you have to add the line manually (i think) so this is likely your problem.
          01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
          01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
          mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

Try going back and reading the first post in the thread. You need to do more then just adding usevoicecontrol=true. You need to download a few files and instal Microsoft Speech Recognition Engine
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68297
            7" TouchScreen Carputer
            Rockford Fosgate 1501BD and Rockford 551s
            12" MTX 9500 in a SS* or a 12" Brahma in a SS*
            ZAPCO COMPONENTS in front and RFs in rear
            2 YellowTops and a 200amp Iraggi Alternator
            *Snell Shell box from nolteaudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by Playerbeat View Post
              Try going back and reading the first post in the thread. You need to do more then just adding usevoicecontrol=true. You need to download a few files and instal Microsoft Speech Recognition Engine
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68297
              I did that, as I mentioned in my first post. The problem remains, however, though the two posters above have offered me a ray of hope that I am close. I am definitely missing that line, but SAPI and the zip file files are there.

A guide would nevertheless be helpful for those trying to do this in the future. I have been (and remain) quite proud of what the application authors and a little technical understanding on my part (same as everyone here) have allowed me to do with this carpc. I've built 2 of them, already, with Internet access, Sirius Radio, MP3, DVD, video, FM, and TV (the latter two stunk reception-wise, though). However, phonecontrol never worked well in the past for me (and now with a WM5 phone it may or may not work) and I'd never tried voice-recognition. I test drove a 2007 Acura MDX a few days ago and the integration between voice and the rest of the system just blew me away. If I can get this working to control the main features and iGuidance, it will be so pleasurable for me and impress others that much more. Although that last part isn't what motivates me, it does some others, and all of these reasons are why a cool app like RR grows in recognition. Thanks to me and others, now all the guys, even the newbies, at my local Circuit City know what RoadRunner is and they think it is so cool.

The thing about this is that what I've read so far leads me to believe this is relatively simple to do, at least in basic form. Something like:

- Read Available Commands doc.
              - Install RoadRunner and its requirements (duh)
              - Install SAPI 5.13.
              - Under Control Panel-> Sounds and Audio Devices test your microphone configuration and gain settings
              - Go to Control Panel -> Speech and create a voice profile
              - Extract voice commands zip file contents into RR root.
              - Edit rr.ini to add usevoicecontrol=true

Anyone want to help me correct that and finish it with me?

Comment

My bad I was drunk last night when I posted that. I guess I didn't read much. You should be good. I'm using it in my car and although it was a while ago when I installed it, I do remember it being easy to install. Have you been able to get SAPI working and with any other programs (word, outlook etc.)? Does or has the voice recognition window pop up when you run RR?
                7" TouchScreen Carputer
                Rockford Fosgate 1501BD and Rockford 551s
                12" MTX 9500 in a SS* or a 12" Brahma in a SS*
                ZAPCO COMPONENTS in front and RFs in rear
                2 YellowTops and a 200amp Iraggi Alternator
                *Snell Shell box from nolteaudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by Playerbeat View Post
                  My bad I was drunk last night when I posted that. I guess I didn't read much. You should be good. I'm using it in my car and although it was a while ago when I installed it, I do remember it being easy to install. Have you been able to get SAPI working and with any other programs (word, outlook etc.)? Does or has the voice recognition window pop up when you run RR?
                  No worries at all I did add the line suggested above and now the window does indeed pop up. It can obviously "hear" me saying words, but it is WAYYYY off and useless at this point. I am chalking that up to poor training on my part, and I am going to have a go at it again later tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by vettejock99 View Post
                    No worries at all I did add the line suggested above and now the window does indeed pop up. It can obviously "hear" me saying words, but it is WAYYYY off and useless at this point. I am chalking that up to poor training on my part, and I am going to have a go at it again later tonight or tomorrow.
                    Just wanted to throw a FYI, altho I have not been the most active lately (Life getting in the way again) I do lurk here still.

Documentation is not one of my strong points, I did start a doc that I believe is available on the first post of the plug-in page but need to finish some of the advanced topics and troubleshooting parts.

A couple suggestions to start with is delete the profile or start a new one, use the microphone that you will be using. Turn off the adaptive option as I think it will degrade the recognition by adapting to road noise. You can turn up the sensitivity and up the accuracy as speed is not usually a concern as you will not be dictating to it.

Glad you start a new thread, that old one is out of control long, let me know how you progress and I can try to help

edit: I would start with the 5-02 version, I think the test version had issues that need to be debugged.

Comment

Thanks, I am going to take another crack this weekend!

Comment

Working...
                      X