Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moderate to High CPU Usage....Looking For Additional Guidance....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderate to High CPU Usage....Looking For Additional Guidance....

OK, before you senior/experienced guys break out the flame throwers, I want to say that I did use the search function, and got some good info from various threads, including the FAQ one here in this sub-forum. So I am not starting at ground zero, but could use a little more help.

First off, my basic hardware/software combo: M10000 w/512k of memory running Windows XP. I know this is definately not the most powerful hardware out there, but I know it can do better than what I have been able to achieve so far.

As of right now, I am running two skins: iDrive and Blue Devil. I know both use Flash with Blue Devil being the more Flash intensive between the two. Initially, CPU usage was at a pretty constant 90-100% at idle. Both skins performed very poorly with BD locking up almost every time. Using the guidance in this forum, I turned off Milkdrop in RR and went into the BIOS to give the onboard graphics more memory to play with (64k (max allowed) instead of 32k). This yielded better results (both skins were operational, but still slow, with BD locking up a few times when accessing certain functions). CPU usage oscilated between 5% and 60% with spikes to 80-90% while at idle. I played around with the accelerator setting in Windows but was only able to get about a 10% (average) difference in CPU usage with not much change in skin performance.

I followed all of the Flash update guidance in FAQ with the exception of using the Flash.zip file since the link is dead and I could not find another one. I have the most up to date Flash from the Adobe website. I have the latest RR version and Winamp version. I have not received any Flash errors that have been reported in a few threads.

So now, what else am I missing? I know others with similar hardware must have gotten better results. What else can I try? What other optimzation software, specifically for Flash/graphics, is out there?

Originally posted by jmciver View Post
    I followed all of the Flash update guidance in FAQ with the exception of using the Flash.zip file since the link is dead and I could not find another one. I have the most up to date Flash from the Adobe website. I have the latest RR version and Winamp version. I have not received any Flash errors that have been reported in a few threads.
    This is the problem. You must have missed this part in the FAQ
    "-Rename Flash8.ocx (that came from the zip file), to Flash9.ocx"
    I know you mentioned that the DL link for it is bad, but the WHOLE PROBLEM IS FLASH 9 and later. Not changing the FLASH.OCX is NOT fixing the problem.

Also, RR works "better" with the older versions of Winamp. The latest version of RR is always a good idea

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post
      This is the problem. You must have missed this part in the FAQ
      "-Rename Flash8.ocx (that came from the zip file), to Flash9.ocx"
      I know you mentioned that the DL link for it is bad, but the WHOLE PROBLEM IS FLASH 9 and later. Not changing the FLASH.OCX is NOT fixing the problem.

Also, RR works "better" with the older versions of Winamp. The latest version of RR is always a good idea

Michael
      So if I understand you correctly, I should rename that flash file, even though I never was able to get my hands on that Flash.zip file (or any of it's contents) that was relesaed some time ago? Also, where can I get an older version of Winamp?

Comment

So if I understand you correctly, I should rename that flash file, even though I never was able to get my hands on that Flash.zip file (or any of it's contents) that was relesaed some time ago? Also, where can I get an older version of Winamp?
        No, you need the older FLASH.OCX. The older FLASH.OCX is the fix. Renaming what you have now doesn't change the file.

No clue, search for it.

Well, I guess I am nicer then I thought, http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45570

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post
          No, you need the older FLASH.OCX. The older FLASH.OCX is the fix. Renaming what you have now doesn't change the file.

No clue, search for it.

Well, I guess I am nicer then I thought, http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45570

Michael
          Thanks for the older winamp link. But were is that old flash.ocx file located? I know it is in that Flash.zip file, but that zip file is "MIA". A quick search yielded several discussions of that flash.ocx file, but not the actual file itself.

Comment

Thanks for the older winamp link. But were is that old flash.ocx file located? I know it is in that Flash.zip file, but that zip file is "MIA". A quick search yielded several discussions of that flash.ocx file, but not the actual file itself.

You can probably find it at:

http://www.oldversion.com/

enjoy!
            Rich

Comment

First off, my basic hardware/software combo: M10000 w/512k of memory running Windows XP
              Upgrade from 512k to 512M.
              Old Systems retired due to new car
              New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Withey View Post
                Upgrade from 512k to 512M.
                Oops....typo, that would make things a "bit" slow now wouldn't it .....

Comment

Its here. = http://www.kompassist.co.uk/Flash.zip
                  P4 2.8 HT, 512Mb Ram, 60Gb 2.5 HD, M4-ATX, SB Audigy2, BU353, Lilliput TS,Soundgraph Imon VFD,SONY Optiarc dvd Burner,RideRunner, iGo8, Custom Freedom 2.1

Comment

Update.......

Ok, I uninstalled the versions of Winamp and Flash that I had installed, both of which were the most recent versions. I went to oldversion.com and downloaded & installed Winamp 2.95 and Flash 8. No joy, RR locked up while booting after Winamp was loaded (RR never got past the initial boot screen).

I took a look at the Flash folder and noticed that the flash8.ocx file was not there. I uninstalled/reinstalled Flash8 from oldversion.com again with the same result. I just downloaded the Flash.zip file from the above post (thanks Griff1!!) and will see if I can get it working with that file. I was so busy with work I have not had a chance to test it yet.

I will report back with results.....

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the file replacement for Flash8 is just drag and drop. No installation neccessary?

Comment

Drop your video hardware acceleration setting to one from MAX, this fixed my issues with slow flash and high CPU
                        My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
                        NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

My Car's spec list + pics

Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

Comment

Just dropped my acceleration one from the top, and cpu usage dropped from 37 to 11 percent when using the BD skin. I too was concerned with the extra cycles needed by the BD skin. P4 1.8 512MB ram laptop. Thanks for the tip.
                          CarPC in my 82 Camaro. Dual core atom, M4-ATX, 7 lilliput, bu353 GPS, Reborn skin, punch 40/100ix
                          MediaLaunch for RR
                          Online Check for RR
                          Locker for RR

Comment

Another update......

After several attempts, I could not get RR to load after downloading Flash 8 from oldversion.com. Each time I downloaded/installed it the flash8.ocx file was never installed in the Macromedia/Flash directory. I ended up downloading the latest flash program from Adobe's website and replaced the flash9b.ocx file that came with it with the flash8.ocx file form the Flash.zip (renaming it). Although this got RR up and running, I did not see a change in CPU usage. Is there anyting I am missing here?

I will try turning down the accelleration a notch to see if that helps. Although when I tried that before the flash update I did't notice a descernable difference in CPU usage.

Comment

I get pretty high CPU usage (approx 80%) when using the line-in plug in to play radio.

When MP3s it's only around 5%, but shoots up when the line-in plug in is running. Coudl this be the cause of your problems? Obviously the main symptom is that flash runs slowly.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X