Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Release: Navigon Voice Guidance Attenuation

Hi all,

I have written a small application to lower the volume of winamp when Navigon NCK 5 (and possibly other GPS software?!) speaks its guidance instructions.

You will need to have .net framework installed and place the executable into the your roadrunner folder (Guino's exec.exe must also be present as this is used to tell winamp to lower its volume)

I hope this is of use to some of you, and thank you to Mauri for testing!

*** Latest version is here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...8&postcount=27 (Updated 24/01/07)

This sounds cool, how does it work ? does it monitor the wave output line or something ? just curious.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Mute the WAVE line,when NCK5 " speaks",to x percentage settable with sw.

Work well with NCK5.

EDIT:the navigation sw it owes to have implemented the possibility of setting the volume of the vocal audio message.

Bye Neil!

Mauri

Comment

Originally posted by guino View Post
        This sounds cool, how does it work ? does it monitor the wave output line or something ? just curious.
        Yes it does exactly that, I noticed when Navigon speaks it lowers the wave line to whatever the percentage is set at in its settings.
        I monitor for this and then perform a command to lower winamp until it restores the volume..
        This may work with several other GPS apps too... I haven't tested any yet though

Comment

Thanks,

but I can't find Navigon anywhere on the internet for PC, only pocketpc?
          (I'm looking for a good navigation solution on PC)

Comment

Hi,
            it would be great if rr would change to navigon automatically (for xx seconds) by saying directions.

Ti-ejtsch

Comment

Originally posted by Ti-ejtsch View Post
              Hi,
              it would be great if rr would change to navigon automatically (for xx seconds) by saying directions.

Ti-ejtsch
              Yes I was thinking of implementing this feature, I just need to work out the skin commands...
              Does anyone know if its possible to overlay skins ? Ie. if I was at the home screen I was thinking it would be nice to have a section that pops out from the top of the screen to show the navigation...

Comment

Any news?

Ti-ejtsch

Comment

Hi,
                  I will try and look at this today - the code to add it should be very easy.
                  But the problem is finding out what screen RR is on.. i need to find out what happens if RR is already on the guidance screen and the sw tells it to go there again, I don't think there is any way of finding what screen RR is currently on..
                  Also I would need that info because you wouldn't want it to keep switching to GPS while a video was playing..

Comment

Originally posted by swift_gti View Post
                    Does anyone know if its possible to overlay skins ? Ie. if I was at the home screen I was thinking it would be nice to have a section that pops out from the top of the screen to show the navigation...

No one here who could help swift_gti?
                    I think itīs a very interesting thing.

Ti-ejtsch

Comment

you can make a .skin file which embeds the application, then just send the MENU command to RR followed by the RUN command (with title to embed), just to display the navi, then once it's done, you can just send the exit command or something. Other than that, you'd have to just display the application with setwindowpos (API) direct from your application, then hide it with the same command or showwindow (API).
                      Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                      "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Originally posted by guino View Post
                        you can make a .skin file which embeds the application, then just send the MENU command to RR followed by the RUN command (with title to embed), just to display the navi, then once it's done, you can just send the exit command or something. Other than that, you'd have to just display the application with setwindowpos (API) direct from your application, then hide it with the same command or showwindow (API).
                        Thank you for the tips Guino, I thought that might be the way to do it... I'll play with this over the weekend and see what I can come up with.

Comment

Update:

I have added the auto screen switch function - it has only been tested on my bench setup, but appears to work ok for me..
                          A basic overview:-

Using the app you can configure a command (or commands) to be sent to RR via Exec.exe when guidance voice starts, and then a different command when guidance voice stops... I've also added a function to allow a delay on the second command so that the GPS screen can be displayed for x seconds after the guidance voice has finished speaking..

Eg: Cmd On = GPS, Cmd Off = LASTSCR, Delay = 5

This simply changes RR to the GPS screen whenever voice guidance starts, then onces voice guidance finished it will wait 5 seconds longer on the GPS screen and then tell RR to go to the previous screen it was on. (even if a delay is set the Winamp volume is still raised as soon as the voice has finished speaking)

Note: If you wish to be able to KEEP the GPS screen visible all the time you can just disable the auto screen switch (if you don't plan to use that feature) OR (and this theory hasn't been tested yet...) I think you could tell RR to go to an identical skin to your GPS one that's linked from Menu (but with a different name) so that it will switch between the 2 skins but you won't notice.. that way it will still switch properly if you are on any other screen... (as I said, I haven't had time to test out that theory yet)

Hope this work's ok !

Comment

Hi,

thank you - I will have a look tomorrow.

Ti-ejtsch

Comment

This would be great if that works for other lines too, not just Wave.
                              Can you set it up so we can change or add other lines to mute? I would like to mute my Line In where my HQCT is hooked up, so it can mute the radio line also when guidance voice is initiated.

Comment

Working...
                              X