Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ratings Plugin - based on a ratings database

10/25/07
    This plugin has now been changed to a whole RR Media(audio right now, video also possibe!) Database plugin.
    It will still support all below features.

Current Done:
    *Initial building of Db ( all filetypes read!)
    *Automatic importing of old rating playlists in to the Db.
    *Current db building scan avg is 4-7 songs per sec. (28 min/~9k files)

Currently working on:
    *Communitation between RR and plugin=25%
    *Browsing the Db=10%

To-Do List:
    *"Watch folder" feature
    *TBA...

I have written most of the code already and am looking for some input. It will be 100% replaceable for anyone aready using sonic's older ratings system. There will also be a small util to import your already existing 1-5 star playlists. I started on this because right now, with the current rating system, you can rate whatever songs as 5 star, but I want to only play my 5 star rated bass songs. Can't do that, unless you want to skip through the 5 star playlist but thats not good. I have mentioned it to sonic as an idea and he said that he was already working on this in his unreleased version. I am sure that he will continue to work on his version, but I like the idea of using a db better than having multiple playlist files.

As of current coding these are the available playlist creation options:

General Star Playlist
    • non-rated songs in DB
    • 1 star rated songs in DB
    • 2 star rated songs in DB
    • 3 star rated songs in DB
    • 4 star rated songs in DB
    • 5 star rated songs in DB
    • rated songs, by asending rating in DB
    • rated songs, by desending rating in DB

Star by Artist Playlist
    • like-rated songs by current artist in DB
    • rated songs by current artist in DB
    • non-rated songs by current artist in DB

Star by Current Album Playlist
    • like-rated songs by current album in DB
    • rated songs by current album in DB
    • non-rated songs by current album in DB

Star by Current Genre Playlist
    • like-rated songs in current genre in DB
    • rated songs in current genre in DB
    • non-rated songs in current genre in DB

Playlists by number times played
    • rated songs, order by Number Played descending in db
    • non-rated songs, order by Number Played descending in db
    • rated songs, order by Number Played ascending in db
    • non-rated songs, order by Number Played ascending in db

One difference is that there will be a background app always running that does all the lookup's and creating the playlist. While sonic's system used actuall files to hold the ratings data, mine will only have one playlist, which get created/changed/updated to the option that you would choose above.

There are also the following options avail:
    • Adds every new song to the db when song changes
    • Delete unfound records that the song path no longer exits (helps to keep db lutter free)
    • Clear the database (why? )

It uses the tag( artist,album,genre) labels in RR to be able to give all the added optons listed above.

So with all that in mind, What is your input??
    RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
    Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
    Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
    RRMedia
    RRExtended
    DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

How about being able to categorize by genre
    New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
    New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
    "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Ya, I have been trying to figure out something with that alread. Its just figuring out how it would work in a skin.

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
      Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
      RRMedia
      RRExtended
      DFXVoice

Comment

Well, 41 views and one comment, Thats not a whole lota input...

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
        Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
        RRMedia
        RRExtended
        DFXVoice

Comment

Blue_ZX3,

That's because I'm waiting to see it!!! It's definetly something that is sorely missing in the present setup.

BTW: what database program are you using? Mysql, SQLite, something else?

Comment

cant wait to try this new one out.. my "unreleased" one is working as it should.. but if this works just as well then i'll consider my plugin another replaced program I dont have to work on anymore
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Thats much better....its SQLite based

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
              Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
              RRMedia
              RRExtended
              DFXVoice

Comment

Sounds like a good plug-in, I'll definitly try it when it comes out.

Just wondering what kind of CPU usage to expect since it will always be searching and refreshing the database. I for one have an "average" system made of a VIA sp13000, 1 GB DDR400, and a slow 4200 RPM hard drive, but have over 8 GB of songs. To be a universal plug-in, I think you need to be careful and keep that in mind since most users in this community probably won't have higher or significantly better hardware than that at least from my understanding.

Comment

Well, it will have to run w/o issues on my system too, M10k 512Ram... That is for the most part, the low end scale of what the average user is using. So yes, it will be very resourcefull(meaning effecient as possible).

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                  Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                  RRMedia
                  RRExtended
                  DFXVoice

Comment

The only CPU usage is only when looking up or updated when the song changes, and that shouldn't take at the least 1-2secs..

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                    Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                    RRMedia
                    RRExtended
                    DFXVoice

Comment

I will also warn that the skin that I will be including will be VERY crude, as I am NOT graphicaly creative!

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                      Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                      RRMedia
                      RRExtended
                      DFXVoice

Comment

1. Isn't this taking us towards having a database of songs, similar to CF.

if so then that is what a lot of people have neem asking for as hopefully it will speed up the search

if not could it not be nudged towards that.

2. It would mean that everyones tags would have to be upto date or entered even for it to word properly

3. Again another concern over cpu usage.

4. Is this any better than notepad? (sorry had to add, and you probably expected it anyway )

5. Some pics of how it would work in a skin would be nice.

Comment

if not could it not be nudged towards that.
                          Uh, you kinda lost me on that one...

1. Isn't this taking us towards having a database of songs, similar to CF.
                          No, not really, the idea here was for it to only be used for the ratings, not like as in a whole RR song database kinda way. That what smartplaylist is for, both me and sonic thought that it could be used for this as well but the facts were that it would have been easy from a programmers perspective, but not the average users. Hence, the seperate playlists in sonic's program.

2. It would mean that everyones tags would have to be upto date or entered even for it to word properly
                          Well tag wise, yes. I have all my music tagged correctly but I know many do not. And for the ones that just use the file names(no ID3 opton), I'm can't remember what gets displayed by by the tab labels(will have to check on). The base lookup critria is the song path.

3. Again another concern over cpu usage.
                          See above explanation.

4. Is this any better than notepad? (sorry had to add, and you probably expected it anyway )

5. Some pics of how it would work in a skin would be nice.
                          Yes, those are coming. I have just recently started working on the whole skin interaction delema.

Expect something along the lines of my config skinning attempt skin graphics*crude" but functionality over looks. Graphics is your guy's part.

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                          Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                          RRMedia
                          RRExtended
                          DFXVoice

Comment

How would you guys feel about the list thing (artist/genre) not being something that is utilizing a RR type list. I have just shot off a PM to Guino about this. I am just trying to make it so that it would like like anyother rr skin.

If it not that big of a deal, then I have made progress in this area of the plugin, if so then I'll await a answer from guino...

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                            Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                            RRMedia
                            RRExtended
                            DFXVoice

Comment

This definately sounds like a great addition! And, you asked, yes I do have input

Originally posted by Blue ZX3 View Post
                              How would you guys feel about the list thing (artist/genre) not being something that is utilizing a RR type list.
                              Actually, sorry, I don't like that part.... I think it should work with the existing RR lists. The main reason being, in an upcoming RR release, is the ability to scroll through music much like on an iPhone. Plus the ability to change font sizes, colors, skin the shape and size of the directory list ect. The alternative is to simply use the database to create "temporary playlists" and just have RR display them normally. For instance, you do a genre search for "rock". The database makes a temporary playlist of all "rock" genre songs, and passes that to RR.

I agree with enforcer above 100%. a Database for ALL songs, including all of the rating is much needed in Road Runner. The ability to search for an artist, song, year or any other tag, would be fantastic! Currently the method of searching the hard drive takes quite a bit of time. I am using the ActiveWinamp plugin, with a couple of scripts to do database searches in my skin and it is lightning fast!

WIth the standard RR hard drive search, it takes around 30 seconds to scan the 30,000 or so MP3's. With the database, it returns results in 1-2 seconds tops.

Another advantage of a database type search, is the ability to use bits and pieces of the artist, title, album name. Such as a search for "busi work" would return the album "Business as usual" by "Men at work"

Right now the ratings can be done with the ratings plugin, and the database search with the Active Winamp plugin, and a few scripts...

However, if you can get all of the music on your system into the database, and be able to search that, as well as have the ratings.... that would replace the ratings scripts, the active winamp plugin, and the scripts for that plugin as well. This would be a huge new "central core" for the way RR searches for and organizes music.

Hell, this could even replace individual playlists all together, as just a playlist "tag" in the database will break songs you want into playlists for you.
                              Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X