RRKeyCatcher for capturing hot keys even when RR is not in focus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RRKeyCatcher for capturing hot keys even when RR is not in focus

There have been a lot of posts over the past few weeks about short cut keys in the KeyTbl.ini. The main problem, is the KeyTbl.ini will not work if Ride Runner is not in focus.

Ride Runner can lose focus for a few reasons:

- It is minimized
    - Video or other external applications being embedded steal the focus
    - Visualizations can even steal the focus from rr, as they are just an embedded app.

I put together this small program that runs in the system tray, and watches for hot keys being pressed, even if RR is not in focus.

This means, if you have RR minimized, and press a hot key then RideRunner will "steal" that key press. If the script was aloud to only work when in focus, this would defeat the purpose of the program
    However, the program will exit whenever RideRunner is closed.

The hot keys you want to use, need to be defined in the KeyCatcher.ini file:

PHP Code:
    Belowdefine the command to be fired, and the key combination to fire it.
    /
    ExampleTo go to the Weather screen when you press "w" on the keyboard
    /use this line:
    /
    weather=w

Qualifier keys are as follows:
    / ^ = 
    Control
    / ! = Alt
    / + = Shift
    Examplecontrol Shift 1 would look like ^+1

[HotKeys]
    DFXLock=^!+0
    RRVCON
    =^!+1
    Vol
    -=^!+2
    Vol
    +=^!+3
    RRNExt
    =^!+4
    RRPrev
    =^!+5
    Mute
    =^!+6
    ESC
    =^!+7
    Play
    =^!+
    NOTE:
    Some keys are globally assigned to windows and can NOT be used as a hot key / Hot key combination:

Ctrl+Alt+Delete It is reserved by Windows
    F12 It is also reserved by Windows, according to its API.
    NumPad's Enter Key Instead, use {Enter} which captures both Enter keys on the keyboard.
    Windows key +B,D,E,F,L,M,R,U; and Win+Shift+M

To use the program, simply run it as system startup, or in your ONSKINSTART line in the ExecTbl.ini.

Download it in the MobileAppMart
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

I have a problem to download this plugin .

The zip size is 1 octet

Comment

Interesting, seems the app store does not like .rar files. I re-uploaded it a couple times with no luck, then uploaded it as a .zip file and now it works.

Give it a try again...
      Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

That is very col, thanks for this! Have you tested with carpc joy con?
        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

I sure have And it is working perfectly with it. Just set the hotkeys you want with RCJoyCon, and then just put that key combination in the RRKeyCatcher.ini, and thats all there is to it.

You will notice in the default ini I am using "complex" send keys, as to not interfere with anything else.

Such as
          Ctrl-Alt-Shift-1
          Ctrl-Alt-Shift-2
          Ctrl-Alt-Shift-3
          ect...

Make sure you delete the keys you are using with this from RR's KeyTbl.ini! Otherwise, if RR is in focus, it may fire the command twice, or ignore one of them in favor of the other ect.

If there are any issues, or lack of issues, please let me know. I tested it here quite a bit, but there still could be minor issues.

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

WOW! Bull's eye! This is exactly what was needed, thank you.

Comment

Any chance to add media keys which are supported in JoyCon?

Comment

You can add any key that you want in the .ini. You just have to know what the key name is or how it is formatted. I put the basic ones that I know off hand down below.

What is it that you are trying to do exactly? Do you have a device or something that sends out only media keys?

The reason I ask, is you can make ANY hotkey perform any function in RR with this program.

On they JoyCon, set up say A1 with Ctrl-Alt-Shift-P
                Then in the ini, just put:
                Play=^!+p

Just put these in the KeyCatcher.ini to use the media keys:

RRNExt={MEDIA_NEXT}
                RRPrev={MEDIA_PREV}
                Play={MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE}
                Stop={MEDIA_STOP}
                Vol+={MEDIA_VolumeUp}
                Vol-={MEDIA_VolumeDown}

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

your welcome john!!!

i would have loved it as a RR plugin, any reason its not...(there might be)
                  -Thanks
                  Mitch
                  www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
                  May healing waters bury all my pain
                  Wind, Carry me home
                  The fabric of reality is tearing apart
                  The piece of me that died
                  Will return To live again

Comment

This is interesting. Any reason this couldn't be applied to, say, the middle mouse button so RR regains focus for purposes of accepting a voice command?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchjs View Post
                      your welcome john!!!

i would have loved it as a RR plugin, any reason its not...(there might be)
                      Mitch, the code we were talking about the other night when we were chatting was in C#. I know NOTHING about C#, so I wrote this from scratch in AutoIt.

The .ini is all read into an array. The array "key" is the command that is fired, based on the hot key pressed contained in the Value of the key.

The reason I did not make it a plugin is that capturing a HotKey in VB is a royal pain AutoIt has a built in function for creating HotKeys.

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by kbreeden View Post
                        This is interesting. Any reason this couldn't be applied to, say, the middle mouse button so RR regains focus for purposes of accepting a voice command?
                        Jebus already made a plugin specifically for the mouse I thought?

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
                          Jebus already made a plugin specifically for the mouse I thought?
                          Yes, but it doesn't steal focus back to RR. It only works where RR already has focus. If there is an embedded app (iguidance, google traffic, etc.) one needs to move the mouse outside of the embedded app in order to trigger RRVoice with Jebus' plugin. Also, if RR is minimized the trigger will not work. Neither of these is a big deal, but they provide more opportunities where it's necessary to take one's eyes off the road.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this does, but it occurred to me that it could be configured so that hitting the middle mouse button automatically gets focus back to RR so that the RRVoice trigger will work no matter where the mouse pointer is on the screen at the time.

Comment

Does it work with press and hold keys? I see no reason why it wouldn't just asking (not that I think my version of JoyCon supports it either).

I'm going to use it with JoyCon in the FX and Space Navigator in the Truck. This looks great, can't wait to test it.

Thanks a lot.
                            Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

john, i just ment for the IDEA
                              -Thanks
                              Mitch
                              www.rush2112.net

"Did you test it in carwings??"

Sun, Come shine my way
                              May healing waters bury all my pain
                              Wind, Carry me home
                              The fabric of reality is tearing apart
                              The piece of me that died
                              Will return To live again