Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browse-By-Cover....it's here!

updated 07/31/07

Well everyone, El Camino has really taken this project under his wing and has brought to my attention a version of the cover flow that REALLY works! He's modified my original version and taken it to another level! Below is a download link to his super duper version. Make sure to read the README included in the archive for proper installation. Credit to El Camino for this great integration of Nathan's @n99creations.com Flash creation.

DOWNLOAD

Please post your comments and requests in this thread.

ORIGINAL POST:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a follow up to this previous thread.

Well, it's finally here, browsing by album art has arrived to an RR skin near you! Using Nathan's (www.n99creations.com) source which pretty much does the bulk of the work, I've modified it to work with RR, display album art and load an M3U list when you click on an album art. The info (i.e. path of each album, path of album art file, path of M3U file etc) is read from an XML file. The main issue with the flash swf right now is CPU load becomes very very high when in use which Nathan is aware of and I believe is trying to fix but for now this is way better than anything, at least for me it is.

I have also created a separate program in VB that scans your albums folder and creates an XML file with the necessary info. My music is in the following structure so my program is specifically written and has been tested with this structure. It MAY work for you or it may not.
    -mp3s
    --albums
    ----album 1
    ----album 2
    ----album 3

If it doesn't work, just edit the XML file to fit your needs and test it out from there (see the included installation instructions in the readme).

Future plans:
    -create and display a track list for each album when album art is displayed and allow for a selected track to be played.

Come on Nathan! Hopefully he will get back with you soon! I have his code right now, but that just displays the album art nice and pretty, and nothing else

Watching this thread very closely!

As it may not be apparent in your screen cap, this swf has a transparent background. Here is a screen cap from some of my tinkering with it getting ready for the RR version

One thing I did think of, is being the swf IS transparent, that actually takes a LOT more CPU usage. Sometimes in the neighborhood of 50% more CPU. I have seen many posts from CDR and other flash guru's telling people when they write flash apps for RR to make it non transparent. I wonder if this would be the speed up that Nathan needs.....

You can see a live version of the original Flash File HERE
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

One thing I did think of, is being the swf IS transparent, that actually takes a LOT more CPU usage. Sometimes in the neighborhood of 50% more CPU. I have seen many posts from CDR and other flash guru's telling people when they write flash apps for RR to make it non transparent. I wonder if this would be the speed up that Nathan needs.....
      Hmmm good point. I wonder, would adding "SOLID" after the F definition in the skin file of RR help the CPU usage at all?

Comment

Possibly, I have ye to try it here yet. This is a poor machine to test on to compare it to a CarPC though P4 Dual Core 3.2 Ghz with 3 Gigs of Memory.

FYI I also emailed Nathan99 and asked for permission to use his flash code
        Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

now this would be a cool addition to RR
          Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
            Possibly, I have ye to try it here yet. This is a poor machine to test on to compare it to a CarPC though P4 Dual Core 3.2 Ghz with 3 Gigs of Memory.

FYI I also emailed Nathan99 and asked for permission to use his flash code
            yeah, I'm still wondering how this is going to run on my carpc (m1000, 512 mb ram)!!

great, yeah he hasn't responded to my inquiry yet.

Comment

i know this hasnt even been released yet, but i already have a feature request.

instead of / in addition to the scroll bar at the bottom, i would like to request an option to scroll through the items by simply dragging your finger across them (actually touching the covers). it could be set up to if you just point and click, it selects the album, but if you point and hold, then it becomes dragging mode and you can scroll through items like that.

also, (like the iphone) the next step in this would be that it would keep scrolling until the screen is touched again to stop it. of course the scrolling would go as fast as the user 'flicks' the albums to go.

again, keep up the good work -i downloaded all the source files from nathan and messed with them myself, but it was all too intimidating for me. thanks for everything again

Comment

i dont think you really need permission from him, i think his intention was to release the source so people could make modifications and use it with whatever.

Glad you got it working, and cant wait to toss it in into the void
                01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

can't wait to try it.

Comment

A Green Light to release it!

Reading N99's site, you do not need permission to release this. It would be nice to have Nathan's blessing and backing, but it is not necessary.

From N99's site:
                    * By choosing to download source files available from n99creations you hereby agree not to resell, redistribute or republish any source without express written consent from it's proprietary owner or n99creations.com.
                    If you read closely, this means you can make an application from the source and share it, sell it or whatever. It simply means not to modify the source code, and then re-distribute/sell the source code itself.

This makes 100% sense, as if you are going to release the source code to something, you are opening it to others to alter and change. If you did not want others messing with it, you would never release the source code, just the Swf itself.

So looks like you are a go on releasing this!

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Do you realese source code when software will be complete ?

Comment

Hahaha in line with my last post, I got an email from Nathan:

"What do you require permission for? The source?"
                        I think he was confused about why we would be asking to use his source to create a flash applet hahha

Originally posted by farolfo View Post
                        Do you realese source code when software will be complete ?
                        No. Per the disclaimer on the site, it allows to download, alter the source, and create an application with it, but NOT to then re-distribute that source code without the authors (Nathan's) permission. This is simply to keep someone from altering it, and re-distributing it as their own work, and is totally understandable.

When it is completed juve021 can always send a copy to Nathan, and he could possibly give his permission to share the altered source, but that is entirely up to him.

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Thanks for your patience all. File is ready to DL, see post #1

Comment

Thanks for your work on this, Juve.

Am I correct that a separate playlist file (m3u) must be made for each album in order for this to work? With many of us having 1,000+ albums, this could be prohibitive.

Comment

Originally posted by kbreeden View Post
                              Thanks for your work on this, Juve.

Am I correct that a separate playlist file (m3u) must be made for each album in order for this to work? With many of us having 1,000+ albums, this could be prohibitive.
                              Yes right now it looks for a playlist file in each album folder. Each playlist file must be named with the same name.

I know, it really is a pain. My VB program, included in the zip file for download, generates these playlist files for you already though! Maybe I can just make a standalone app, without any of the XML stuff, to solely generate the playlist file, would that help?

Comment

Working...
                              X