Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common background folder - HOW?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Common background folder - HOW?

    Anticipating a lot of skin will now have changeable backgrounds, i tried to create a common folder where all skins will have access to the same backgrounds-all in one folder. Worked half-***!

    I used DFX and Shock as ginny pigs; DFX uses picviewer to preview the backgrounds and i added/changed some elements in Shock to also use picviewer to preview; i then changed the picspath= to C:......\my pictures\backgrounds; changeBG.exe and au3 are in the folder - this is what happen:

    1. Leaving the original background folders within the skins (essentially having 3 BG folders) both skin preview the BG (jpg's) fine and can set/apply BG's at will.

    2. since the intent is to have only one BG folder, i deleted the BG folders within the skins. Now, they they both still preview all BG's BUT neither is able to set/apply any background. Both are also transparent with no backgroung.

    3. I then recreated BG folders within the skins but only placed changeBG.exe and au3 within them - can preview but still can't set/apply any BG's

    4. Copied all jpg's into DFX and Shock's BG folders then deleted folder located at My pictures\backgrounds - Now, neither skin see any backgrounds at all (although they do retain the last BG applied).

    Both skins have this code for the set/apply button: "SETVARBYCODE;LISTTEXT;LISTTEXT||SETVAR;background ;$skinpath$background\$LISTTEXT$||SAVETOSKIN;backg round;$skinpath$background\$LISTTEXT$||RELOADSKIN| |Load;PicViewer.skin",

    I'm thinking it has something to do with "SAVETOSKIN" but i don't know for sure or what to do..

    In the end i have to have 3 identical BG folders for everything to work right when the goal is to have only one.

    Was that long-winded or what!

    Appreciate any help.
    ****************************************
    OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
    Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
    Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
    BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
    M2-ATX Power Supply
    RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
    Windows XP SP3

  • #2
    savetoskin saves the background to the skins local skin.ini.

    if you change that to savetoini add a backgrounds path in rr.ini and remove the individual skin.ini's you might get lucky.

    I have requested in the telease thread that a new .skin backgrounds.skin be set up, similar to picskin but for backgrounds. because at present if you want to be able to change backgrounds you lose the picviewer.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
      savetoskin saves the background to the skins local skin.ini.

      if you change that to savetoini add a backgrounds path in rr.ini and remove the individual skin.ini's you might get lucky.

      I have requested in the telease thread that a new .skin backgrounds.skin be set up, similar to picskin but for backgrounds. because at present if you want to be able to change backgrounds you lose the picviewer.
      Worked - somewhat! the setting is now being written to rr.ini and the skin can read it (because i renamed it's skin.ini) BUT the skin still needs the entire BG folder to be able to change backgrounds. This is the whole command set associated with previewing and applying the background, in case somebody want to give it a shot. I'm tired of messing with it.

      B,558,294,219,92,"SETVARBYCODE;LISTTEXT;LISTTEXT|| SETVAR;background;$skinpath$background\$LISTTEXT$| |SAVETOINI;background;$skinpath$background\$LISTTE XT$||RELOADSKIN||Load;PicViewer.skin",
      J,559,84,216,203
      SD,00,00,50,50,"$skinpath$background","*.jpg",0,,, ,,,,
      S01,96,83,268,304,255,255,255,0,0,0,255,255,255,25 5,255,255,0,0,0,106,186,86,,18,"ISOCPEUR"
      B,8,324,70,66,"PGDOWN",
      B,9,154,70,66,"DOWN",
      B,6,251,70,66,"PGUP",
      B,8,82,70,66,"UP",
      L,607,327,128,33,255,255,255,18,"ISOCPEUR","=APPLY NOW",

      I'll just wait to see the results of your request. Thanks.
      ****************************************
      OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
      Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
      Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
      BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
      M2-ATX Power Supply
      RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
      Windows XP SP3

      Comment


      • #4
        IMO the picspath should be where backgrounds are stored.

        1. Its a path thats already setup in RR to work with the pic viewer

        2. already available as a variable $picspath$

        3. Where the user has photos stored at already and may want to use there own pics as backgrounds and not have to manage multiple folders with pics.

        If you want i can post the code i have that will take whatever pic is being viewed in the picviewer and set it as the background.

        In my skin, the setting of the background is done from inside the RR picviewer, where the user is likely to be viewing pics.
        01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
        01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

        beer replenishment fund
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
        mp3car live search

        i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

        Comment


        • #5
          You doNt Need the pic_viewer at all to preview the backgrouNd.
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/1105325-post146.html

          Comment


          • #6
            My skin actually does have a background.skin and my code is tweaked a bit since I do not use pic viewer at all. I think the best solution is as liquid states to use the $picspath$ variable.

            My code looks like this

            B,558,294,219,92,"SETVARBYCODE;LISTTEXT;LISTTEXT|| SETVAR;background;$skinpath$background\$LISTTEXT$| |SAVETOSKIN;background;$skinpath$background\$LISTT EXT$||RELOADSKIN||Load;background.skin",


            SD,00,00,50,50,"$skinpath$background","*.jpg",0,,, ,,,,

            Which you can see is a bit different than what you posted (i assume you modified it)

            I would try to edit all instances of "$skinpath$background" to "$picspath$" and work from there. This will get the skin looking into the pics path defined in rr.ini for background directory listing and when setting them. The SETVARCODE line is processing the actual background change. The SD line is the background directory listing and its looking for all files named jpg ("*.jpeg") in the current skinpath ($skinpath$) in a folder named background (background)

            Changing this should get you the result you are looking for but im not sure if the skins will need to share a common skin.ini file or not.

            Anyway if we decide to use a standard variable defined in rr.ini for the background path I will impliment this into version 4 of my skin.
            Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

            AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by blk02si View Post
              I think the best solution is as liquid states to use the $picspath$ variable.

              Still disagree with this, we are using one feature for another purpose at the expense of the original feature.

              Comment


              • #8
                Maybe we need to talk guino into adding another variable such as $background$ that can be set in RR.ini and will point to a directory. Personally I don't think having a seperate background directory per skin is a bad idea. Its probably because I only use one skin though
                Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

                AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

                Comment


                • #9
                  i'll fool around with the source today and see if i can add a variable. Where would you want it defined? In RR.ini so that every skin can share the same background folder or in skin.ini where each skin could have its own background folder?
                  mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                  Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                  Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                    i'll fool around with the source today and see if i can add a variable. Where would you want it defined? In RR.ini so that every skin can share the same background folder or in skin.ini where each skin could have its own background folder?
                    Ideally it would be defined in rr.ini so that every skin can share the same BG folder. However, looking at it closer, both skins that I'm testing are writing the BG setting to rr.ini like this:

                    pauseonvoice=0
                    igautosw=0
                    ClockType=Digital
                    EQPRESET=GPS
                    gpsonvoice=0
                    background=C:\Documents and Settings\ERIC\My Documents\My Pictures\Backgroundsbackground\Brushed Metal.jpg (This is DFX)
                    lastscreenswitchtime=0
                    backgrounds=C:\Documents and Settings\ERIC\My Documents\My Pictures\Backgroundsbackgrounds\Blk02si.jpg (This is Shock)

                    So imagine if there were 5 skins writing their settings to rr.ini, how would each skin know what BG to use?

                    Therefore, the very-very ideal situation would be that each individual skin save the settings in their individual skin.ini while still using a centrally located common background folder. (talk about throwing a monkey wrench in it!)
                    ****************************************
                    OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                    Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                    Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                    BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                    M2-ATX Power Supply
                    RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                    Windows XP SP3

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                      Well doesn't the skin.ini overide the rr.ini if present, or is that just with exectbl.ini?

                      IIRC, guino stated that rr.ini vars don't get overridden by skin.ini

                      Back to topic.

                      Instead of just another picviewer skin for backgrounds, why not just give skinners the ability to create as many picviewer type skins as they feel they need? We can already define different paths for different directories, why limit picture viewing skins to only two?

                      As it stands now, I need at least three pic browsing skins in my own skin:

                      The original picviewer
                      background/theme browser
                      icon browser

                      things I'm working on:
                      contact pictures browser (use a picture from picviewer directory and turn into a contacts picture in phoco)

                      Each of these skins has a different function and layout with a common feature: Needs to be able to browse images.
                      Pico-ITX / XP Home with EWF-HORM / RR v12/02/2009 / Winamp v5.13 / RRMedia v1.2.2

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by treetop777 View Post
                        Ideally it would be defined in rr.ini so that every skin can share the same BG folder. However, looking at it closer, both skins that I'm testing are writing the BG setting to rr.ini like this:

                        pauseonvoice=0
                        igautosw=0
                        ClockType=Digital
                        EQPRESET=GPS
                        gpsonvoice=0
                        background=C:\Documents and Settings\ERIC\My Documents\My Pictures\Backgroundsbackground\Brushed Metal.jpg (This is DFX)
                        lastscreenswitchtime=0
                        backgrounds=C:\Documents and Settings\ERIC\My Documents\My Pictures\Backgroundsbackgrounds\Blk02si.jpg (This is Shock)

                        So imagine if there were 5 skins writing their settings to rr.ini, how would each skin know what BG to use?

                        Therefore, the very-very ideal situation would be that each individual skin save the settings in their individual skin.ini while still using a centrally located common background folder. (talk about throwing a monkey wrench in it!)
                        I think ur overthinking it.. or maybe i'm underthinking it lol. In my vision, $backgroundpath$ would work the same as $picspath$. The skins wouldnt write ANYTHING related to $backgroundpath$ into rr.ini. $backgroundpath$ would be nothing but a variable containing the centralized point of all background images.. and if it were in rr.ini it would mean all you'd have to do is load $backgroundpath$image.jpg in each skin.ini.. or however you non-flash guys load the background images.
                        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Sonic just nailed it! The variable should look in a common folder for pictures but the change is written to the skin.ini located in each skin folder. That way different skins could use different backgrounds from a common directory. RR.ini should not be updated at all. Im not sure about DFX but shock skin (my unmodified code) does not write a line in rr.ini for background purposes.
                          Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

                          AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by blk02si View Post
                            Sonic just nailed it! The variable should look in a common folder for pictures but the change is written to the skin.ini located in each skin folder. That way different skins could use different backgrounds from a common directory. RR.ini should not be updated at all. Im not sure about DFX but shock skin (my unmodified code) does not write a line in rr.ini for background purposes.
                            Yeah, i keep choppin'-up your skin! I did make your skin's background browser show the preview by copying the commands in Digital FX. All the elements were there, all i had to do was add a "J" line and re-name it to picviwer.skin. Hope you don't mind.
                            ****************************************
                            OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                            Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                            Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                            BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                            M2-ATX Power Supply
                            RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                            Windows XP SP3

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X