The greatest skins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest skins

I'm making a flash skinning tutorial, and I want to have a section about how to make your skin great. So, what do you think makes a great skin great? So far, I have customizability, originality, and ease of use. I want to hear what the rest of you think.
    Christmas Car Project 2008

ArrowDash Skin Worklog

Ergonomics
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

For me its consistency,

I modeled my skin so I don't have to look at the screen to operate it. The buttons are always static in the menus.
      Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

Originally posted by blk02si View Post
        For me its consistency,

I modeled my skin so I don't have to look at the screen to operate it. The buttons are always static in the menus.
        +1

also visually appealing. Im not the only one who has to look at it, so it should impress my passengers as well.
        Car Pc progress meter:
        [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

"The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
        My worklog

Comment

consistency is one of the biggest aspects for me as well. changing button layouts or positions can really throw you off when you're only halfway paying attention to an 800x480 screen!

Comment

for me, performance and functionality.

Comment

ease of use and layout ... the controls must be easy to see / operate and should be layed out consistantly.
              -------------------------------
              The TEKNIK Family ... Teknik 1 & Teknik 2, Teknik T-3, Teknik v4.0, Teknik-X.

Comment

Consistency here too. If your buttons are constantly changing positionit makes it very hard to navigate the menus.
                New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
                New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
                "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

ability of teleportation...

and eye candy
                  My 2003 Mercedes C230 Carlsson w/ carputer

Comment

+1 for consistency

and OEM-ness, i like somethiing that doesnt look like some punk drew it up. it looks like it belongs there from the factory.

Comment

anything that you find in Johns DFX2.x and 3.0beta are what make the best skin...Study that skin.

Comment

not necessarily ... and I mean no disrespect to John or his very good skin - but if that was the benchmark why are there so many other skins out there ?

Just because a skin has almost every conceivable addin and function does not make it the best skin, lot's of users only want music, GPS and perhaps video - all those other parts rarely if ever get used ...

but that's just my opinion !
                        -------------------------------
                        The TEKNIK Family ... Teknik 1 & Teknik 2, Teknik T-3, Teknik v4.0, Teknik-X.

Comment

Originally posted by Valheru View Post
                          not necessarily ... and I mean no disrespect to John or his very good skin - but if that was the benchmark why are there so many other skins out there ?

Just because a skin has almost every conceivable addin and function does not make it the best skin, lot's of users only want music, GPS and perhaps video - all those other parts rarely if ever get used ...

but that's just my opinion !
                          Second that
                          OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                          Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                          Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                          BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                          M2-ATX Power Supply
                          RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                          Windows XP SP3

Comment

Excellent point. I couldn't agree anymore. However, I do wish other skins benchmark john's GPS layout for iguidance... ^^ Not necessary for looks, all buttons are single click driven. I am lazy, plus i am driving ^^

Comment

Also touch on minimizing cpu usage. There is a feature in swish max that can tell you how much cpu power certain effects use. This can come in very hand to make the transitions from skin to skin faster. For me this is a key feature.
                              http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/856246

Please visit my new site http://www.Gigabitcustoms.com

My worklog http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52720

Comment

Working...
                              X