A no-touch skin at 800x480

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A no-touch skin at 800x480

I have buttons around the LCD panel and I do not have a touch screen.

It looks like this

The nobs can be pressed, and turned to step up and down. I will use left for volume and power on-off. Right to scan menues and press as select.

I was looking for a skin that looks nice on my system. No success.

What is different, you might ask? Well, you do not have to fill the screen with pressbuttons big enough for fingers.

Menu's might be hidden until you activate them, and then the active choise can be bigger than the others revolving as you step up and down.

No volume up-down buttons, and no sliders.

In short; more info/pictures than buttons! More OEM.

Do you know of a skin that fits this bill? What do you think?
    My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

Since your set-up is unique, you would need to create a new skin or modify an existing one. How are you getting the button presses to make the computer respond? Something like Girder? if so, you would need to encode the skin to perform actions on keyboard presses and maybe remove the buttons from the screen. Search for "CAR2PC" skins since those use the headunit's buttons to control winamp.

Edit:

I'm looking to get a CAR2PC adapter for my Pioneer, so I may be able to help make a skin for you. let me know if there is one already out there that is close to what you are looking for or maybe a concept sketch and I'll see what I can do with it.
    2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
    Car PC Progress:
    Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
    Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
    Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
    RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
    View my
    Worklog
    Road Runner Skins
    Website
    Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

Flash?

I've had a look at Girder and HIP, heard of CAR2PC but I am using IBusComM that works on my BMW IBus.

Thanks for the tip on search criteria! Found "rapid skin" that I definitely will look into!

And thanks very much for your offer to help out! What I might want some help with is "flash". Do you know what it can do? Can it do animations?

This is what would be really cool:
      I am running mp3 but want to select Radio, and I press mode button. Then the mode field magnifies into centre of screen and highlights with text "mp3". Next and previous mode can be seen above and below, but not all modes. I then turn the nob and the hwole thing rotates, highlighting next mode. If I do not do anything within timeout the mode field retracts.

Do you see what kind of effect I am after? Is this something that is supported in todays version of RR with flash? (as you can tell I do not know much about it)

Comment

Are you using the stock low resolution BMW screen? That will change how the whole skin is designed.
        edit: oh wait, i just looked at the title 800x480, nevermind.

CAR2PC is just a "wired remote" sort of. It lets me use my aftermarket Pioneer deck to control winamp. But since the common controls are on the pioneer's remote, I won't need to duplicate them on the skin, and can have more room for visuals.

I'm just barely learning flash, but there can be animations like what you are talking about. Someone more versed in flash might chime in to confirm, but it would just be a matter of programming the animations in actionscript, then placing the appropriate labels and actions in RR.
        Car PC Progress:
        View my
        Worklog
        Road Runner Skins
        Website
        Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

I've replaced the stock BMW screen :-)

So you have an aftermarket Pioneer with CD and Radio and you want to add a screen to get the extra navigation etc. And you can use the Pioneer remote to control your PC via CAR2PC. So CAR2PC is really an interface from a Pioneer bus output into USB/RS232. Correct? That way you (same as me) do not need the eternal "+" and "-", "up", "down" etc wasting and clotting up valuable LCD space.

So maybe this is not such a special special...

Thanks for handle "actionscript". But I will start designing with pen and paper and some fat color pens! It is going to be fun!

B-O

Btw. Another handy remote is a telephone! I noticed by accident that my k800i could control mediaplayer via BT! It would be nice not to beed the OSK... But now PhoCo is gone...

Comment

Ya, CAR2PC-PIO is for all pioneer P-BUS decks and the other end is a USB cable.

Product details

Control your Car PC or laptop directly from the car stereo (head unit), switch between playlists, genres, artists, albums or favorites. See your track title, artist and other information from PC.
            Choose different plugins with different behavior for WinAmp, Windows Media Player or some other multimedia software (see Downloads section).
            Just plug the device into the back of your stereo and connect it to your Car PC via USB cable and you should be all set ! Play back any multimedia track you have on your Car PC ! Get full control of your PC from the palm of your hands.
            I won't need volume controls, play, pause, etc. So I can have a common menu on the bottom to go the different screens. I don't have the CAR2PC yet (or the screen installed, since I just got this car...) So my mAv1c skin is what I'll use until I get the CAR2PC. I still wanted to start designing the stripped skin to play around with some designs and ideas.
            Car PC Progress:
            View my
            Worklog
            Road Runner Skins
            Website
            Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

Just to give an idee what I want...

Note darker gamma when active menu.

It is the animations when scrolling with right nob that would be so nice....

watching TV

pressing <mode> makes it possible to switch to nav/radio/mp3/dvd----

[/URL]
              Pressing <menu> will enable options on active skin

There are obviously shortcuts, like pressing '2' will get you to last picture without pressing <menu><left clic on right nob>-<enter><left clic on right nob>

What do you think?

Comment

That would work, gamma would affect the entire output rather than just the background, but we can use transparent menus to achieve the effect you are after.

Would you be able to provide me a map of your keys?
                (what does your computer register when you press each button on the radio?)

That way I can start getting some ideas together.
                Car PC Progress:
                View my
                Worklog
                Road Runner Skins
                Website
                Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

Are you for real!? Would you help me with this? Will you use this yourself? What apps will you skin? etc?

IBusComM translates message from buttons (push, release, hold) into keyboard events that it throws onto one application (window title) of your choise (=RoadRunner). What events is configurable in ini file.

Ex.
                  [ID:BUT_NAVTKN_LEFT3]
                  MsgTemplate="F0043B490385"
                  Label="Nav Knob Left (3)"
                  Parse=True
                  KeyBoardMap="{PGUP}"

There are roadrunner ini files available that I think not only send keys, but proper RR events. (Looked into that 2 years ago. Have forgotten. Will check)

Apps I'm running is: (just as a referens)
                  WinTV
                  Mediaplayer 11 (has got SDK. Plan to skin it if not done)
                  PowerDVD (plugin to mediaplayer)
                  Navigator 7 (also with SDK)

Comment

I was planning on making a stripped skin that would be designed for my purposes, but wouldn't be that hard to modify for your purposes.

I use winamp for music, iGuidance 3.0 for nav (upgrading soon to 4), and will focus on music and gps. I think for you, the hard part would be how you enter addresses, etc. or anything that needs text entry.

I was playing with the idea of something like this:

When you rotate the knob, each icon grows a little and glows to let you know which one you are on. The left wall and the right wall are hidden buttons for me that offers further options for that specific menu item. (This would be the audio screen, so if I press the left wall or you press left on the knob, it will load the audio browser screen, etc.) The ceiling is a button to bring up the menu from any screen.

Once I learn flash a little better, I want to animate the floating screen (which will be changed to a pic of a real flat screen for realism) to enter and exit the room.

What do you think of this so far?
                    Car PC Progress:
                    View my
                    Worklog
                    Road Runner Skins
                    Website
                    Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

I will hopefully be able to use phone keypad and text entering methods, and/or voice control to enter text. But not solved yet. I thought it was, but then phoco was gone... A bit upsetting since I had a license...

I read your post at work and then at home and then thought about it in the tub, and now I've read it again. I'm not sure I understand :-)

Love the highlight/glowing thing. Very much like the banner I invisioned.

Is your idee that if you are watching TV, and "enters the room", the TV screen floats away like you've taken a step backwards. And then you can see the icons, and configure/change mode and what have you? That sounds very neat indead!

Is the background a photo?

Are you using a touchscreen or some kind of joystick?

I am impressed anyway. I think there is to much "buttons" on all skins I've seen. Like a stereo from the 70's. Better to manuever in context sensitive menues.

My pictures are awful but might give a better idee.

I thought that clock would come and go when clock button is pressed

Comment

Originally posted by bes51659 View Post
                        I will hopefully be able to use phone keypad and text entering methods, and/or voice control to enter text. But not solved yet. I thought it was, but then phoco was gone... A bit upsetting since I had a license...

I read your post at work and then at home and then thought about it in the tub, and now I've read it again. I'm not sure I understand :-)

Love the highlight/glowing thing. Very much like the banner I invisioned.

Is your idee that if you are watching TV, and "enters the room", the TV screen floats away like you've taken a step backwards. And then you can see the icons, and configure/change mode and what have you? That sounds very neat indead!
                        Pretty much what was I was thinking is I would like it so that when the skin first loads, it will show something similar to the screen shown above. After a few seconds of inactivity it will zoom into the floating screen and show the visualizer and album art,etc. If you press the mode key it will zoom out (like stepping away from the screen) and show the four menu options. Twist the knob and the menu items rotate to show more options. Click on one and the screen flickers and changes to the new screen, don't do anything for a few seconds and it zooms back into the screen you were just on.
                        For me and the touchscreen version, If I tap anywhere on the edge of the screen when it's zoomed in it will zoom out, and I can just tap the option I want or press the left or right walls to show more menu options.

I'm mostly going to use GPS and music, so I won't need to switch between the skins that much, and I can have GPS full screen since my Pioneer Deck will display track title and artist, etc.

This will require me to make some stuff in flash, and I have Flash CS3, but I'm going to look into Swish Max 2 tonight and download the trial version for that. I'm going to start by making the skin without flash, and then modifying it later.

Is the background a photo?
                        Yes, ever seen the PS3 commercials with the white room? this is a picture from those ads with the PS3 removed.

Are you using a touchscreen or some kind of joystick?
                        I have an 8" touch screen. (And a wireless mouse and keyboard for the passenger or when I'm stopped and need to type lengthy text.)

I am impressed anyway. I think there is to much "buttons" on all skins I've seen. Like a stereo from the 70's. Better to manuever in context sensitive menues.

I had a look at my FM screen. adn what I need there. I will edit this message as soon as my internet is on again (on 33k6 modem at the moment...)
                        For most people, they have the touchscreen and nothing else, so they have to have buttons for volume control, play, pause, etc. so it ends up getting cluttered. There are plenty of skins that manage the different functions well, but what we are trying to do is something totally different.
                        Car PC Progress:
                        View my
                        Worklog
                        Road Runner Skins
                        Website
                        Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

quick test just to see how it would work. the audio icon is highlighted to show that it glows and grows.

Car PC Progress:
                          View my
                          Worklog
                          Road Runner Skins
                          Website
                          Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

I see! Well, what can I say. It would be very nice.

Will the whole room swivel when you press a wall?

Good ide to do it without flash first, trying out the concept.

Obviously I need some info on the screen, when you probably just run a slideshow with family photos. (nice feature come to think of it!) But as I see it that is just a part of the floating screen content in that case. "the city is at war". No?

It strikes me how alike we have thought. The right wall being my vertical bar. The stepping away from the floating screen being the shading of the background. (and lowering of volume!)

The clock could be another floating item, as well as info item (have not mentioned before). The info item containing simple trip data. average speed, distance left in tank, time of trip, average fuel consumption, outdoor temp, tyre pressure. Maybe the info item could be of 2-3 different types so when button is pressed it goes from type1->type2->none->type1...

Comment

here's a screen capture I made with this to see how the idle timer worked. I have it set so that after 10 seconds of no input, it will zoom in to the other screen. (Since it's not in flash yet, it just switches to the full view) It also shows the effects for the symbols at the bottom just to show how they react when they are being used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIR1JG1Xt_E
                              Car PC Progress:
                              View my
                              Worklog
                              Road Runner Skins
                              Website
                              Favorite thread EVER!