FLASH PROGRAMMER NEEDED: Flash Altimeter Guage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLASH PROGRAMMER NEEDED: Flash Altimeter Guage

I received an aircraft style altimeter flash object from a developer in Italy that I was wondering if anyone in the community could convert to work with RoadRunner? I have piloted numerous types of aircraft and everytime I look at the DFX 4 Gauges skin I think I want to replace the "satellites locked" gauge with a real altimeter. Well I found one.

"Luiz Monteiro" <[email protected]> has been kind enough to send me the source of the altimeter he uses on his website. I promised to give him all the credit for this flash object if we can get it working and he requested we not release the source beyond developers. He said, "Inside the Action script all you need to do is change the place that says: my_temp=12345; //This is where you set the altitude. It can be an external variable." That's all the instructions that I got. He said it was created the last flash source with flash CS3. But he sent me another source he said is an exported Flash 8 file.

In case you're not familiar with aircraft altimeters the longest "T" needle is for 10000s, the short fat diamond shaped needle is for 1000s and the medium length skinny needle is for 100s of feet. I'd like to reduce these to 1000, 100, and tens, respectively, and I'd still like to see the Kollsman window on the right being pulled from the RR weather label, "W_BAR", but I'll settle for just getting it working in RR.

The difference between whats on his website
    [media]http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imagehosting/13107490799241b717.jpg[/media]

and what he sent in the .fla
    [media]http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imagehosting/13107490799253cd36.jpg[/media]
    is the orange digital numeric vs altitude warning window. I personally would like to see the digital #s like on the website.

I provided a copy of the source to JohnWPB to look at and he did make some changes to make it more like his other flash gauges, however, he couldn't get it to work in RR. If any of you developers have time could you PM me for the .FLA code and take a look at this source and let me know if it can be converted to read Altitude from RR?
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

I didn't really change anything as far as how the gauge looks, I simply shrunk the canvas down a bit, as it had like 2 inches on the top, bottom, left & right for the "canvas". When embedded in RR, it would have been MUCH smaller looking than the embedded FLA area left like that.

Hopefully someone here can figure it out, as it is a nice looking gauge for sure, and a very cool replacement for an altitude indicator in a skin
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

I did not find anything done so I started to build my own.
      Already integrated in in Riderunner and works ok.
      Still have some more things to tweak like the case where number of sattelites decreases and the altitude drops too hard.

I also want to make a climb/descend rate gauge.
      Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the forums!!! That is looking really nice! Would you mind sharing the .fla(Flash) / .swi(SwishMax) for it? Can this also be set to show altitude in feet? I have never seen an altimeter display in meters, as feet is the international standard in all aircraft.... "Climb and maintain flight level 3400" would work out to 34 kilometers... AKA Space shuttle
        Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by tokragua View Post
          I did not find anything done so I started to build my own.
          Already integrated in in Riderunner and works ok.
          Still have some more things to tweak like the case where number of sattelites decreases and the altitude drops too hard.

I also want to make a climb/descend rate gauge.
          This is very nice and I agree with John, it needs to be in feet not meters.

My only requests would be to put the digital counter on the gauge itself (say at the bottom in all that empty space, with room for 5 digits - yes I fly mine) and the barometric pressure readout just above that. Barometric pressure can be pulled from Ride Runner, too.

Whenever you're ready to send me a copy, I'm ready to install it.
          HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Any news on releasing this?

Comment

I PM'd him, haven't received a response as of yet. His email address is hidden, and even I do not have access to it.

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
                I PM'd him, haven't received a response as of yet. His email address is hidden, and even I do not have access to it.
                You just keep workin on DFX 5, I'm impatiently waiting to test it, too. I'll keep pressing for this. Hopefully, I may have another source.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
                  Welcome to the forums!!! That is looking really nice! Would you mind sharing the .fla(Flash) / .swi(SwishMax) for it? Can this also be set to show altitude in feet? I have never seen an altimeter display in meters, as feet is the international standard in all aircraft.... "Climb and maintain flight level 3400" would work out to 34 kilometers... AKA Space shuttle
                  Hi John
                  Well am a pilot my self and just an update...
                  Russia and China ( Hong Kong ) DO use METERS instead of feet for altitude ...
                  Climb 11600 mtrs ( one one thousand six hundered meters ) = FL 381 ( 38 thousand 100 ft )

But yes feet would be nice if every one used in altimeters !!!!

CHeers !!
                  Commell LV-677 DC 6 x 6" Mother Board
                  2.6 GHz; 1 Gb Ram
                  120 Gb Laptop HD
                  7" InDash Xenarc MTD - X7000 Screen
                  Gyration Mouse ; GPS Mouse ; ELM Scan ; TPMS
                  Parrot MK 6000 & iPhone
                  ----------
                  Re done the carputer...Into the Glove Box !!

Comment

Originally posted by vicky_obee View Post
                    Hi John
                    Russia and China ( Hong Kong ) DO use METERS instead of feet for altitude ...
                    Climb 11600 mtrs ( one one thousand six hundered meters ) = FL 381 ( 38 thousand 100 ft )

But yes feet would be nice if every one used in altimeters !!!!

CHeers !!
                    I agree also that it's sympathetic to have an altimeter in meters .

Comment

Hi John
                      Russia and China ( Hong Kong ) DO use METERS instead of feet for altitude

Wow, that actually really, really surprises me! I am a pilot as well, (Strictly private pilots license in Cessna's and the likes). I was always under the understanding that everything aviation related was based on the U.S.'s standards, going to back where flight first took place.

I know it is mandatory that all pilots and controllers speak English no matter where they are in the world. Thus a Hong Kong pilot, speaking to a Hong Kong air traffic controller, is all done in English.

I was also under the assumption that all Altimeters were read in feet as well. I can't immagine a U.S. pilot getting into an aircraft and the Altimeter being in meters! Having 2 different measurements of read out on one of the very most important gauges in the cluster just does not seem like a good idea to me.

I could hear the Black Box recording now, when on the downwind leg for landing:

Aircraft: Altitude!....Terrain!...Pull Up!...Pull Up!
                      Pilot: (confusion in his voice) Huh...We are at 400 Meters!
                      Co Pilot: Negative! We are 400 FEET!!!!!
                      [sound of crunching metal]

Climb 11600 mtrs ( one one thousand six hundered meters )
                      Now, just out of curiosity: If this is the case then shouldn't it be read as "Climb to 1160 meters"? (Leaving off the trailing zero like is done for feet?) or is that the way they handle it in meters?

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Beeing an german airforce pilot(retired), I have never heard of an aircraft with an Altimeter in meters..
                        11600 meters would be 38057.742 feet. Some statistics.

Fighter jets of today have a maximum operating altitude of aorund 60,000 feet.
                        However, the word operating must be stressed. A F-105 starfighter has been past 100,000 feet before.
                        So has the an F-15, reaching 115,000 feet or so highest record flight by a fighter equipped with missiles (therefore having a tactical purpose) is the MiG-25 Foxbat carrying 4 Archer Air to Air missiles. It reached an altitude of 125,635 feet.
                        These are record flights, intended for no other purpose but to show off, or test the extended capabilities of aircraft. They have no tactical advantage. and these aircraft are not designed to fly at those altitudes the plane with the highest operating altitude, is the SR-71, which flies between 80,000 and 85,000 feet. This means the plane was designed to fly that high. it was meant to, it didn't need to be pushed hard, or specially modified to attain that height.

Now back on topic.

Comment

And as we found out today, a large mylar-coated balloon filled with helium can go to an altitude of around 7,000 feet

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

If I jump from my porch, I can reach an altitude of 15 feet. Landing is a little rough but that is my record altitude unmodified, not meant to do this though.
                            New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
                            New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
                            "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Oh yeah,
                              I dont even have a pilots liscense. But was speaking french after I hit the ground.
                              New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
                              New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
                              "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Working...
                              X