Skin, optimized for a KEYBOARD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skin, optimized for a KEYBOARD?

While I love a lot of the RR skins developed over the years, I'm having a tough time finding one that is optimized for a "non touchscreen" i.e. keyboard/hardware control based. The reason for that is that I intend to display my CarPC (and it's front end) on the stock screen in my BMW 740, and I intend to control it via the buttons already on the screen (via IBUS).

Now, ordinarily this wouldn't be too much of an issue except for minor things like "highlighting" when a particular item has "focus". It doesn't mean it has been "pressed", it just means it has focus.

For e.g. take a look at the following screenshot (inspired by the Simplistique skin...great skin btw).

The idea is that when an item has "focus" (the MEDIA item for e.g. in the above picture), by either using the up/down/left/right keys in a typical keyboard (or in my case the control knob on the screen, translated to left/right keys), it can change visually.

Can this be done easily? What would I need to change/add/modify in the .skin file(s) to support this?

Thanks.

Yes, there are basically a few commands you can use:

"CTRLLEFT" - Selects/Highlight the Previous control on the screen
    "CTRLRIGHT" - Selects/Highlight the Next control on the screen
    "CTRLEXEC" - Executes the Selected/Highlight control on the screen
    "CTRLUP" - Increases the Selected/Highlight control on the screen (Slider/List only)
    "CTRLDOWN" - Decreases the Selected/Highlight control on the screen (Slider/List only)

You can map 5 keys of the keyboard to these commands (keytbl.ini) and control everything on the screen. The only requirement is that the skin has "focus" images (ON Layer), or you won't see the objects highlight.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
      iDrive is set up to be keyboard controlled as well as touchscreen. [/shameless plug]
      I saw that skin Enforcer, and while I love that skin as well, I'm finding that I'm probably gonna end up with some fairly unique requirements (like developing DSP screens that interface with my 1010lt cards, a library implementation for media etc) which will necessitate a new skin. I'd love not to spend time developing a new skin.. but I may not have a choice.

How do you like the following look btw?

Comment

Maybe this one?

Comment

With logo....

Comment

Originally posted by guino View Post
            Yes, there are basically a few commands you can use:

"CTRLLEFT" - Selects/Highlight the Previous control on the screen
            "CTRLRIGHT" - Selects/Highlight the Next control on the screen
            "CTRLEXEC" - Executes the Selected/Highlight control on the screen
            "CTRLUP" - Increases the Selected/Highlight control on the screen (Slider/List only)
            "CTRLDOWN" - Decreases the Selected/Highlight control on the screen (Slider/List only)

You can map 5 keys of the keyboard to these commands (keytbl.ini) and control everything on the screen. The only requirement is that the skin has "focus" images (ON Layer), or you won't see the objects highlight.
            Guino....this might just work... I did some test screens today, and I was able to get them to work with left/right keys. It'll be interesting to see if we face issues with a screen with multiple "complex" controls, like sliders in a DSP screen, with multiple menu items. We'll see.

Comment

kapone, have you made any more progress on testing this? Just because I'm cheap and don't want to buy a touchscreen, (and I want to play with the electronics), I want to build a carpc with a custom control pad, etc. I'll play with guino's suggestion in my vm, but I was hoping to hear your results.

Comment

Actually, the left, right, up, down, and enter keys are already configured in the keytbl.ini, (along with a few others I haven't bothered to determine yet)
                Code:
                /, This file defines the functions assigned for keyboard keys
                /, The format is simply: <KEYCODE>,"<COMMAND>"
                /,
                /, Use the KeyCode tool to find the keycodes you wish to use.
                /,
                /, You can use Any SKIN COMMANDS here (Specially):
                /,
                /, CTRLLEFT = will highlight/select the previous control
                /, CTRLRIGHT = will highlight/select the next control
                /, CTRLUP = will move up on list or slider (when selected)
                /, CTRLDOWN = will move down on list or slider (when selected)
                /, CTRLEXEC = will execute the current/highlighted control
                /,
                /, The Lines Bellow are the standard "browsing" commands

37,"CTRLLEFT"
                38,"CTRLUP"
                39,"CTRLRIGHT"
                40,"CTRLDOWN"
                13,"CTRLEXEC"

/, The lines bellow are keys assigned to skin commands
                /, You can create as many as you wish. 

27,"CANCEL"
                33,"PGUP"
                34,"PGDOWN"
                2037,"RRPREV"
                2039,"RRNEXT"
                2070,"SEARCHLIST"
                145,"PLAY"
                116,"LOCATE||RELOADSKIN"
                117,"RELOADRR"

2083,"SkinTool"

Comment

And I got a copy of iDrive 2.20 from you Enforcer, but I don't see how it's set up to work with the keyboard... am I missing something? The left/right arrow keys work on the main page, but not on, for instance, the music page...

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfTheHat View Post
                    And I got a copy of iDrive 2.20 from you Enforcer, but I don't see how it's set up to work with the keyboard... am I missing something? The left/right arrow keys work on the main page, but not on, for instance, the music page...
                    The left/right keys work on all screens.

Just tested it by VNC'ing into one PC from another and it worked fine, including the Audio screen.

Comment

weird... it works on the home screen, but as soon as I go to the "Entertainment" screen or anything beyond, the first time I hit the left or right arrow, the volume control gets focus and that's all I can do.

Comment

you may want to check if the mouse isn't highlighting a specific control on the screen or if something (or some other application) isn't taking the focus away from RR.
                        Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                        "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

I've just played around with the leave mouse alone settings and they make no difference.

So unless something external is causing the volume keys to be active or it's something in the newer RRs. (I only have an old RoadRunner on this PC).

There is nothing in the iDrive code to make that happen like that.

Comment

Ok, I went in and set the Leave Mouse Alone to TRUE and it works now. This is the RR version from 2/03/10, so it's latest and greatest. There must be something a little different.

What does that setting do, exactly? I'll have to do some digging around...

Comment

Working...
                            X