New Garmin Screen for eLite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Garmin Screen for eLite

After much frustration I've finally got a Garmin skin I can live with for awhile! I'm pretty much "stuck" (although I do like it!) using eLite because I have the Lilliput/Intel combo where I just cannot get 800x480 to display, so I have to use an 840x480 skin stretched to 800x600 stretched back to 800x480! eLite is the only one I've found where I can get actual circles! However, the various overlays for Garmin give you about half of the screen for the GPS! Since that's the primary display I use, this is what I've come up with.

This was modified from both the "eLite patch2" as well as tommy_xx84's garmin screen. I couldn't implement all of the things I wanted because ElcosMenu just doesn't support everything. The artist and title are not centered so look a little goofy because only left-justification is supported. There is a timer that runs that may cause cpu usage to creep up because that is the only way to get the clock to update.

I originally had the gps window a little bigger by cutting off the bottom of Garmin, but it turns out you can only cut off about 5-10 pixels from the bottom (Garmin just won't let you move it off the screen!). So I added a little more flair through the bottom screen.

This skin works for 800x600 as well as if you run "originalheight=480/showheight=600". I'm not sure if it'll work in strictly 480. I think it'd be somewhat simple mods though...resize the graphics to 800x480 and then adjust the vertical placement of everything. Again, unfortunately ElcosMenu doesn't support screen stretching it seems.

The ExecTBL bypasses the builtin "GPS" and external_gps.skin. The two requirements are ElcosMenu in your "support" directory and you may have to add "garminpath=" in the GPS section to rr.ini.
    Attached Files

I was in the same boat as you for a while with the streching to squishing on the elite skin. I figured mine out on an ION board. But, I remembered seeing this:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/lcd-...-graphics.html

It might help. Good luck, my friend.
    You are never done installing a CarPC.

Comment

I'm definitely going to have to try this when I get a chance. I really like the elite lite skin and I've been working on fixing the Garmin issue, but I just haven't had the time. This one looks like it will work well for me. I'll let you know how it works out for me when I get around to testing it.

Comment

Excellent. Glad I could help point you in the right direction! And believe me, getting your screen running in native is just like getting a new one; at least that's how I felt!

Comment

w00t! Gonna try that this weekend

I gave up on Garmin with Elite but I may switch back now. Of course... now I like iGo8 better than Garmin so go figure

Comment

Spikemonkey,
            I've tried all of that with no luck. Which method did you use? DTD strings?

Comment

nst6563,
              How are you running igo8? All I can find is a pda app. Are there US maps available?

Comment

Works good for me!

Comment

Originally posted by bratnetwork View Post
                  Works good for me!
                  Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by olevelo View Post
                    Spikemonkey,
                    I've tried all of that with no luck. Which method did you use? DTD strings?
                    No, read here to see what I did:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/lcd-...ml#post1375032

I hope it helps.

Comment

Thats a nice overlay Olevelo! I would have loved to have had this back when I was using GMPC and RR ... but if you're seriously interested in quality GMPC integration, check out the OpenMobile Sneak Peak thread. And if that doesn't peak your interest... GMPC Voice Control

Once again nice overlay!

Comment

Or this:
                        [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsgImiy2ixw[/media]
                        openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                        - Always Recruiting Developers -
                        Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by olevelo View Post
                          nst6563,
                          How are you running igo8? All I can find is a pda app. Are there US maps available?

pm'd

Comment

Originally posted by nst6563 View Post
                            pm'd
                            send a pm this way too
                            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                            - Always Recruiting Developers -
                            Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Well so much for this solving my problems. After my first long test (over 30 minutes), the overlay locked up, preventing me from doing anything until I hooked up a keyboard. I'm using the latest elcosmenu (v1.3), but I'm still getting the massive memory leak which I'm assuming is causing the lockup. I tried flytomenu, which doesn't give a memory problem, but it doesn't exit properly...it leaves garmin open as well as the gmpc skin. Argh!

Spikemonkey...I had a brainfart and forgot that I don't have an Ion! I've got the intel graphics on my atom, and since I'm using windows 7, there doesn't seem to be any drivers that allow custom resolutions. I have found some along the way, but either they go out of scan range for the monitor or it works, but only displays on 3/4 of the screen!

Comment

Working...
                              X