No announcement yet.

More "object oriented" skin design aid?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More "object oriented" skin design aid?

Hi Guys,

I would like to know what you guys are using to deesign your skins...

I have used only photoshop but I think it is a Royal PITA to design stuff in photoshop.... I dont have the patience to keep finding the layers and adjusting them, then adding buttons, having to copy the layer styles to make them look like "buttons", etc...

I was looking for an alternative something that would treat stuff more as objects... I thought about creating the buttons in photoshop in a few sizes, and then using powerpoint to throw the buttons on a slide, and be able to click them, move them, resize them, etc easily, but the buttons look like ****e when resized through powerpoint....

Any ideas of an easier way of manipulating the stuff? adding text to buttons, addin icons to buttons, etc?

Thanks!
    Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
    Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...en+source+skin
    PC Components:
    Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
    My work log

Comment

Nope, apples and oranges!

I'm looking for something to speed up designing the images to drive the skins... I'm already using RR Skin Editor once I have the JPGs done
      Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

oh no clue
        PC Components:
        Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
        My work log

Comment

How about creating flash button for everything. Then layout the flash buttons in the skinEditor and afterwards place the button areas on top. But I think this increase the time to design it.

Comment

I have no flash knowledge... I think it would make it harder for me....

I'm looking for a kind of "WYSIWYG" editor of sorts to make the images...

..... the quest for the holy grail! hahaha
            Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

Ummm.. you'd probably have to make one yourself.. or try to find some mspaint-alike application with the features you want.. in the end you might just end up realizing that the layers are a better choice.. WYSIWYG editors although easy, tend to screw up the screens a lot.. so if you didn't make it yourself, chances are you wont find anything the way you want..
              Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
              "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

I thought of making something similar to Zorros Designer but had no idea how to do the grid, apart from that it wouldn't be too difficult.

Comment

Coreldraw works nice and easy, but I never used it to make a workin skin. So I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for.
                  Finished!
                  pc 99% - install 100% - audio 100%

Comment

As stupid as it sounds I have been trying to make a skin with Powerpoint.... I'm just about done a new version of the menu of my Range Rover skin that I posted a while back... I am now making a Night/Day version... after I made the day it has taken me about 2 mins to convert it all to night... I'm unsure of how I will be able to do the DOWN/ON states with this but we will see
                    Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

Day
                      Attached Files
                      Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

Night
                        Attached Files
                        Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

Originally posted by RoyN
                          I'm unsure of how I will be able to do the DOWN/ON states with this but we will see
                          You proberly should find this out first before making a skin.
                          Drawing one is the fun part, this is how far I get as well, but actually making one is another thing, to those who really can make it work!

I'll hope you find the time to succeed, I wish I did....
                          Finished!
                          pc 99% - install 100% - audio 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Phythorian
                            You proberly should find this out first before making a skin.
                            Drawing one is the fun part, this is how far I get as well, but actually making one is another thing, to those who really can make it work!

I'll hope you find the time to succeed, I wish I did....
                            You could always post some mock up images and let someone else do the coding part of it this is how this skin started by kou http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47182
                            www.vortexleather.com

Comment

The coding part is a piece-of-cake! Especially with the skin editors...

The problem is that I am very lousy at arts and graphics, and even more lousy in terms of photoshop/graphcis packages.... so making the artwork is really hard for me.

The skin I made is solely to make my carpc more useable and I think it looks like it fits in with the simplicity of my car.

I have a hard time getting the buttons the way I like, and also have a hard time finding icons for the buttons and stuff.
                              Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

Working...
                              X