Experimental skin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental skin

I'm making my first foray into designing my own skin. The approach I'm experimenting with is having uber-consistency between skins such that once you've learnt one view, you're 99% of the way to knowing all of the skins. Plus I'm going to dispense with all the buttons I never use and hide any buttons I seldom use. And the current UI is all temporary - background, sizing, fonts, everything . So try to look past that! I'm pretty much only playing with arrangement / sunlight readability right now (hence the large button font). I'll revamp all the UI once I settle on a layout I like and have used it for a while to make sure it's got all the functionality I need for daily use.

Things I'm thinking of doing:
    1. audio_player skin times out after 5 seconds of no activity and switches back to menu skin (i.e. the folder art replaces the song list).
    2. Content rectangle needs to be bigger.
    3. Black bar at top becomes a rounded rect feedback area for current song title etc.
    4. All skins have some kind of 'maximize' button that makes the content rectangle (where the folder art is on menu.jpg) full or near full screen (with a button to shrink it again).
    5. GPS will show in the standard content rectangle but go full screen with above button.
    6. Bottom rounded rect has music controls in it (maybe volume, play, pause only) + context senstive buttons (e.g. gps buttons on gps screen).
    7. Bottom rounded rect probably moves all the way to bottom of every skin.
    8. Make content rectange 1:1 to avoid folder art being distorted.

Some of the above will need targetted improvements to RR functionality.
    Attached Files
    Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
    Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
    Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

audio_player.jpg
    Attached Files

Comment

audio_browser.jpg
      Attached Files

Comment

Great start, ...like to hear more about "maximize" function. Also take a look at dena old style skin: her implimentation of scroll buttons/indicators in the "content rectangle" might fit better with the clean style you're trying to achieve versus the "List, up, down" text shown above. Just my 2 cents.
        HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

You can implement the "maximize" button by loading a "similar" screen that just has less buttons and more area for whatever you want to display.. but there are a few special screens that this would not work with..
          Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
          "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking. I was worried about the 'special screens'. I'm hoping if I do run into those that I can make those screens more generic by adding more commands. But until I find the limits I don't know whether I'll be able to fix them...

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoQ
              Great start, ...like to hear more about "maximize" function. Also take a look at dena old style skin: her implimentation of scroll buttons/indicators in the "content rectangle" might fit better with the clean style you're trying to achieve versus the "List, up, down" text shown above. Just my 2 cents.
              Yep, those cheap and nasty label buttons are 100% temporary

Is this the skin you mean?
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ight=dena+skin

Comment

Originally posted by Arathranar
                Yep, those cheap and nasty label buttons are 100% temporary

Is this the skin you mean?
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ight=dena+skin

Yea, check out the second pic (audio player) above and below the list are two buttons and and indicator each: Page up button, up button, and top of list indicator; page down button, down button, bottom of the list indicator.

This skin is chock full of indicators check it out.
                HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

The BrushMetal 2.0 has those "extra" indicators too.. I'm still finishing work on it but the preview is on my site.
                  Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
                  "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

Those are nice. I much prefer the non flashing, subtler indicators on bmv2 to dena old style's. Yours definitely add value without being distracting. I had been wondering if indicators had to flash .

Comment

they have to flash if they're INSIDE a button.. or the button image will overwrite it.
                      Ride Runner RR's Myspace

Comment

That could be fixed by drawing them last, couldn't it?

Comment

no, because everytime you move the mouse in/out of a button it redraws it over the indicator.. You'd have to make a function check ALL indicators in the skin to check if one of them is within the area being updated and if so, redraw the indicator.. I didn't do it because it would add a lot of code for something so insignificant (considering blinking indicators do work).
                          Ride Runner RR's Myspace

Comment

I have generic timers partially working in RR. I just need a way to determine when a form is reshown in order to reset their timed out state.

Guino - any hints on how I detect that?

An example skin line is:
                            TIMER01,5,"LOAD;menu.skin"

Comment

the showform method is called whenever a form is called, but you'll have to monitor (somehow) if you hide/show the form afterwards..
                              Ride Runner RR's Myspace

Comment

Working...
                              X