Request: Skinning Tutorial.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request: Skinning Tutorial.

I've been reading alot of posts in the skins section and I'd like to try and make a skin myself too. I've got fairly good Photoshop skills, I've got no coding skils (none required right?) and I've got loads of free time to spend. So I hear you think "what's the problem then, get to it Bee and make a skin!" That's the problem, I'm not sure where to start.

My questions:

- Are there skinning tutorials available?
    - Are there tools I can use? (besides Photoshop and Notepad)
    - What else should I know before making a skin?

Thanks in advance

You can use the RR skineditor, and you can download it here http://guino.home.insightbb.com/download.html
    Hardware: Via Epia M10000, 512MB DDR RAM, 3,5" 40 Gig HD, slimline DVD-ROM & CD-R/RW, M1-ATX (PSU).
    Software: Roadrunner, Mapmonkey/Freedrive

My Car PC project
    FD & MM voices

Comment

Originally posted by Meelobee
      I've got loads of free time to spend.
      One look at your avatar told me that..
      Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

It is fairly simple really, just read skin commands.txt, download the skin editor tool and have a look at existing skins as examples.. they're basically a bunch of JPGs and text files defining what's supposed to show where...
        Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
        "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

I'm working on a skin right now. All I can say is that it is much harder that expected. If you already have Photoshop skills then youre all set, however I suggest you start with pen and paper. I have found that I spend the most time reorganizing and replacing buttons in PS. I suggest you read through "Skin Commands.txt, pick out the buttons you want, and draw up a simple outline. If you have an outline to go by, the photoshoping will be a breeze.
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy Benjamin Franklin

Comment

For real... I said it was simple.. didn't say it was easy or that it was a quick task.. It takes me hours to make up a single screen, yes -- mostly re-organizing things ... it's all the trial and error that will use up your time ... but it can't get much simpler than what it is right now..
            Ride Runner RR's Myspace

"Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
            "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

Comment

it takes alot of time.... this is why im so slow at the moment... working on my dayjob all the time... so havent got much time to spare on the skins.. only a couple of hours a week now (if im lucky)
              before i was between jobs and could sit all day skinning...

but i can only say ... Go for it
              Food goes in here..... that's right ... mmmmm

Comment

My advice is to start slow. Dont' take a clean slate and start trying to whip up your first skin ever. Get the feel for it first. Take some existing skin JPGs and toy around with them. make buttons bigger, different shapes and colors. Then remap the buttons in skin editor or the specs on notepad. Get that to work then start making your own graphics. What is hard about skinning is the graphics aspect. Everything else is very simple. Grab your self a good book on Photoshop, that should help.
                Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
                Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
                I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
                Please help.

Comment

What I was thinking of doing is basicly the same as making a website in Photoshop. I'm going to try to make an entire screen (no need for pen and paper, Photoshop is my pen and paper ) and save the buttons as seperate jpg's. Photoshop has good options to cut up the screen. It will just be a time of trial and error, but thats what I got, time

Thanks for all the advice, I'll see if I can come up with something decent.

btw, lol @ tj!2k4

Comment

Originally posted by J187
                    What is hard about skinning is the graphics aspect.
                    Wrong. I'm fairly decent at Photoshop and I'm making up a skin now. But I really have to stumble when it comes to knowing just what commands/features are available from each of the screen types. It'd be nice to have some sort of an overview of the architecture of the system so that you'd know what features are flexible/optional and what things are fixed in stone. RR is really a great application but as it grows bigger it could self destruct without some documentation.
                    Epia-M II M10000 Nehemiah WinXP sp2 Travla C134 case Carnetix 1260 power Xenarc 700TS XM Direct Toslink Extigy USB 5.1 Garmin GPS18 Linksys 802.11g wireless Nokia 6230 Bluetooth Memphis Amps Focal Speakers Frontend: RoadRunner

Comment

Originally posted by wysocki
                      Wrong. I'm fairly decent at Photoshop and I'm making up a skin now. But I really have to stumble when it comes to knowing just what commands/features are available from each of the screen types. It'd be nice to have some sort of an overview of the architecture of the system so that you'd know what features are flexible/optional and what things are fixed in stone. RR is really a great application but as it grows bigger it could self destruct without some documentation.
                      Actually sir I beleive you are wrong. The graphics aspect is far more difficult considering there is a whole host of commands already coded for you to take advantage. I have made several changes to the way my looks and acts. Very rarely have I had to use my own commands or code. Have you looked at skin commands.txt? It explains very much of the application's potential. The reason I consider the hardest part of skinning to be graphical is because making graphical changes requires you to have a few things.
                      1. A graphics editing programs like Photoshop or paintshop Pro. Good ones cost hundreds of dollars and not everyone has one.
                      2. At least basic working knowledge of how to operate these programs.
                      3. At least some experience with graphics editing.

However, on the code side of skinning all you need to be able to do to at least get started is type letters and quotation marks and read Skin Commands.txt.
                      Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
                      Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
                      I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
                      Please help.

Comment

well for me the graphics part is easy, but i've been using photoshop since version 3 before layers, since 7 years ago. i'm way more artistic than i am technical, but i can do both fine. graphics take me no time to do. the coding is the major time commitment for me. spent 4 hours just doing my main screen last nite, and im ALMOST done with that one.
                        Steve Davis
                        www.CraniumDesigns.com

Comment

Working...
                        X