Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MFD Skin

OK, here's a skin I'm working on.
    I tried to model it after a multi-functional display seen in fighter aircraft.

The idea is that there is a bezel around the edge with buttons there. Green text, and some other fancy gauges.
    Main menu buttons on the left & right, static buttons on every page along the bottom. Panel specific buttons on the top. I'm going to try and keep most buttons mapped to the 24 along the edges, like a true MFD.

I'm open to any (constructive) criticism. The image looked squashed due to the resolution on my LCD.

Download here:
    http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/uppity/SaabMFD.zip
    Attached Files
    You know you want to...Worklog
    Enjoying v1.0 since it's operational. Aaaawww yeah.
    Specs: Opus120; Epia M10k; 700IDT; GlobalSat BR-355; iGuidance 2.1 & IGMod; XM; Custom case.
    Witty one-liners currently quoted by (0001) mp3car.com forum member sigs.

I like it for the most part. I would try moving the text for what the button is, maybe make that on mouse over (after all after a couple rides you should have memorized what each button is) or try to relocate it below the button or sumin...

Also the top buttons maybe you can do something cool there if there is no need for those empty buttons, and lastly I would personally resize the clock if you can, seems awfully small.

I'm not familiar with skinning so I dont know if any of these ideas are even possible lol. I will have to learn though since I am a photoshop whore =D
    James Radcliffe
    [email protected]

Planning (Phase I)
    |||||++++++| 40% Making Final Pre-Purchase Plans
    Car Stereo (Phase II)
    |||||||||++| 80% - Building box, getting ready to wire
    Carputer (Phase III)
    ||+++++++++| 10% Desiging CarPC case

Comment

I would really like to have a WEPS button in my car!!

Comment

what is WEPS?
        01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
        01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
        mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

oh, weapons?
          Yeah, i would love to have that button too, and actuallyl have some rockets come out when i push it

beer replenishment fund
          mp3car live search

Comment

Originally posted by liquid_smoke
            oh, weapons?
            Yeah, i would love to have that button too, and actuallyl have some rockets come out when i push it
            No reason you can't have a .wav play that sounds like bay doors opening or plasma cannons charging.

Besides, if you're (or a passenger) in the car, you can't see external ordinance.

Something I always wanted to do was put a big honkin Red Button somewhere. When passenger asks "What's that?" you say in a panicy voice "Oh nothing, just never ever push it". So when they do, you make the sunroof open automatically, and the AssKicker mounted under the seat start rumblin. "I said DON'T PUSH THE EJECT BUTTON!!!".
            Specs: Opus120; Epia M10k; 700IDT; GlobalSat BR-355; iGuidance 2.1 & IGMod; XM; Custom case.

Comment

Originally posted by Viscouse
              No reason you can't have a .wav play that sounds like bay doors opening or plasma cannons charging.

Besides, if you're (or a passenger) in the car, you can't see external ordinance.

Something I always wanted to do was put a big honkin Red Button somewhere. When passenger asks "What's that?" you say in a panicy voice "Oh nothing, just never ever push it". So when they do, you make the sunroof open automatically, and the AssKicker mounted under the seat start rumblin. "I said DON'T PUSH THE EJECT BUTTON!!!".
              LOL

beer replenishment fund
              mp3car live search

Comment

No more love?

I have to finish it cause I started it. Is it that bad?

Comment

long time since the last post, but i like it. is it finished?
                  The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

Comment

Almost, but not yet. Thanks for the encouragement. I will be going with iguidance instead of Destinator, so I'm not sure if I can have the map there.

Hardware is taking a little longer than expected.

I'll keep you posted!

Comment

bump, mind sharing what you've got done so far?

I'd love to install this skin in my son's radical 91 Mustang convertable since I'm replacing the shifter with a CH Fighterstick USB whick is an identical replica of the F-15E Strike Eagle Control stick. My son saw my Logitech Extreme Pro Joystick (see my other posts) I use in my Eldorado and wanted something more militant.

I personally prefer the joystick control over steering wheel remotes cause I can impliement any command I want into buttons and button combinations, buttons automatically change functionality for different windows applications, and as with many joysticks there are several on the handle but more added on the base which I moved to my center console for additional functions.

Looks like I'm going to have to paint the computer case gunmetal grey to match the car interior, skin, and joystick.
                      HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Entire look is inconsistent and most icons look "childish"

Comment

Dude, it's got a button for weapons what the hell were you expecting?!?

Comment

Did this ever get finished? This would go great with my F-15 Joystick/stickshift.
                            HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

GizmoQ, sorry it took this long. You probably could have built a fighter jet, and then taken out the MFD to use in the time it took me to get this thing up.

Well, there it is, in all it's glory. V1.0, link up in the first post.

Comment

Working...
                              X