Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob attempting first SKIN

The Skin has been released for beta testing here: Mustang Audi System

All updated files are at the bottom of this post!

Update: 05-12-06
    This skin is almost ready to go beta so if you have been keeping your eye on it watch for the release. I think about 2 more weeks should be enough for me to polish it up for beta. Alpha release audio_browser is linked below enjoy.

Hello all been doing a lot of reading for the last 3 months and I finally decided it is time to dive in. I have begun a simple skin which is very stock looking I have on 05 mustang gt with the brushed aluminum upgrade dash kit and this skin looks as close as I can get to the stock head unit. My main reason for going stock is the wife, she is not all that crazy about the whole carputer idea to begin with so I figured if I make it look like the same radio she will be ok with it.

UPDATED SCREENS OF AUDIO PLAYER:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	2297167

Name:	screen_2.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	2297168

Name:	screen_3.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2297169

1. Now I have a few questions about the CD button shown on the images how would I impliment those to maintain stock feel and functionallity of a stock HU? (i.e. insert a cd into the drive and the skin changes to CD.skin and strarts playing track 1 just like a stock HU).

2. (Solved) Has anyone found a way to make a CD-in indicator. Ya know something to display if there is a cd in the drive or to be off if there is not kinda like the online and repeat/shuffle indicators so many people use?

Answer: Use a standard indicator and put "EXISTS;D:\*.*" on the code line(or E:\ of F"\ what ever your drive letter).

3. Is there a way to start in the skin you were in when you turned off the car or do you always have to start on the menu skin?

My plans for now are to load RR to the lower skin image which is the "RADIO" skin I have named it menu.skin so it will load fisrt. Any other skins not having a button there will be accessed through a popup window when you press the menu button.

I think that about does it for now thanks for any help or coments on the skin.

Current Progress:
    menu.skin------------------- 90%
    audio_player.skin------------ 99%
    radio_player.skin ------------ 75%
    cd_player.skin--------------- 80%
    skin_browser.skin------------ 90%
    audio_browser.skin----------- 99% Alpha downloads of the browser here.. http://www.filelodge.com/files/room2...io_browser.zip

All other skins like phoco, xm/sirus, and gps I haven't even started on yet. I am trying to get the best am/fm cdplayer that I can get with all the new features (RDS, CDDB, CDRip) the cd player so far has turned out to be the most difficult for me to get working and in my book is the most important.

Will update the first post as often as I can.
    APPS:
    "RR CD Drive Monitor"

Skins:
    Download the "MAS" beta here...
    New! The Skin Skin community project.

very very nice I love the look of the skin a lot a very lot, I cant help you on your questions but wow I love it
    [B]Car Computer 98%[|||||||||-]
    Install Plan 100%[||||||||||]
    Styling 20%[||--------]
    Install 0%[----------]

Comment

Not bad at all... I actually started somthing slightly similar (seach for Range Rover OEM in this forum), but never got it done...

My suggestion would be, lay the buttons a bit more towards the edges of the skin, and increase the "display" area to give you as much info as possible... that way you always keep constant buttons and only change the "display" area... you could even have some "softbutons" along the bottom of the display...
      just my suggestions... looking good tho!
      Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
      Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Nice start. I know nothing about making skins, so you're far ahead of me! But, try some different fonts out. Whenever I see Times New Roman (or similar), it takes on that noobie quality. But awesome shadowing and blending and stuff.
        2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
        7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
        80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

@RoyN thanks for the sugestions on the buttons but they are currently the exact same place as stock locations and don't plan on moving them as this is a stock skin but thanks.

@kiltjim Thanks for the ideas on the font will change it asap... hehe

Still looking for someone to help me out with the questions above but til then here are a few more screens. I updated the display area for more info and added "VISU" support.

Name:	Screen_3.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2252796

Name:	Screen_4.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	2252797
          APPS:
          "RR CD Drive Monitor"

Skins:

Comment

Well I have managed to figure out a few things but have more questions to add to my list

1-3 in first post

4. In post #5 you can see I have the "VISU" window running over my "display" the problem comes up when the next song starts the cover art pops up on top of the vis. window any ideas?

5. The new RR comes with a button command for making the vis. window f/s anyone know if there is a way to cycle through the preset vis. files so you don't have to right click on the vis. window to change your vis.

Thanks in advance.
            APPS:
            "RR CD Drive Monitor"

Skins:

Comment

I would love to beta this skin for you. I also have a 2005 Mustang with the brushed aluminum upgrade dash kit. I have been looking for a skin like this for a while.
              Here's my setup, check it out.
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...997#post934997

Comment

@2 STanGeR the project is in alpha right now but when it hits beta I will let you know. I haven't installed my carputer yet and would really like to see your install all the pics in your sig. thread are dead.
                APPS:
                "RR CD Drive Monitor"

Skins:

Comment

I forgot about that webserver being down. I will change the picture links over and then you can see my install. I have been using a combination of Centrafuse and RoadRunner, but RoadRunner definitely runs alot better on the Via motherboard.

Comment

Okay, I moved my pictures over to my new webspace, so now my thread is active again. You can check out my install now. I am just now playing around with the skineditor, but if you would like, I could take a look at your skin and see if I can figure out your question? I would really like to get this skin completed. I don't know what kind of free time you have to work on this, but I have plenty of time to work on this project at work. Let me know what you think.

Comment

Hey sweet 05, great design. I started that route too but decided to go a little outside of the stock system just because of the screen. All of my images of that are on my old laptop but I had made them black since I haven't installed the aluminum trim pieces for the center console. Here's a link to what I'm working on now.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72103

Have you tried it on an acutal touch screen yet? Or try to look at it from a distance similar to in your stang? That's why I decided to change mine but yours looks much better then I was thinking of. Good luck and I look forward to giving it a try.

Mike

Comment

Mike, your skin rocks... Like I posted earlier, I think this skin could imporve a lot if the "display" are was made larger, but the author stated that he wanted to maintain the same look (not only the same feel) as the stock... I feel its a pitty since you loose out of a lot of cool stuff that could be added, and end up with a crowded "display"...

Oh, that and the font... please, loose Times new roman!
                        Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

I found my original design. It was very basic but it's close to the stock system.

I love the detail in yours though, let me know if you need a beta tester. Keep it up!

Mike
                          Attached Files

Comment

Lets just say you came a long way
                            Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

Thanks, I need to get back to working on it. There's always something else though.

Just a tip, most if not all of the wording in the 05-06 Mustangs (probably most modern Fords) is in CAPS and Arial seemed to match the closest. I tried to look at free fonts but it became a hassle to make sure the system I was working on had the same fonts as the system I started it on so I decided to with a standard MS font that I knew everybody would have. You can see the slight difference in the pics on the thread I posted earlier. I think the font I was first using was called "Atlanta" and is only included with the Brother P-Touch Editor software so it was unlikely that too many people had that font installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X