Do I stand on toes or not ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I stand on toes or not ?

Simple question.. I have been working on a skin for a couple of days that looks VERY much like centrafuse. Now I havent used any graphics at all from Davids skins, just designed mine to look very similar.. The question is do I release it. The last thing I would want to do it stand on toes.. Its all done in flash and you have 18 buttons on the main page which you can configure including icons.. you can change the base colour to any colour you want.. I've only done 5 or so screens but its shaping up to be a very nice skin..

what are your thoughts ?

CdRsKuLL
    Attached Files
    Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Release IT!!

As said before if you haven't literally copied any of the buttons from the original you haven't copied it you are merely creating an imitation to the look of the original.

You could parallel this to the motorcycle world where Harley Davidson have been the kings of the chopper and cuisers for years only for the japs to release copies of the look in their bikes. What did HD do? Nothing but merely state that imitation is the best form of flattery.

Just my 2 penneth worth and let me have the skin now.

Comment

Damn this looks awesome!!!!

As much as I want you to release it, I think you should still get permision from David. Then again, marazi already did and never got a solid response from them.

Really want this skin, though.
      iGMon - Integration between iGuidance and Road Runner
      CFX - Skin for Road Runner

Comment

there is a such thing as copyright infringement. I'm not sure that you have changed the skin enough for you to be in the clear if David did want to pursue this legally. I would suggest asking him; not us, for permission.
        New System in progress:
        M10k
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

great minds think alike the layout tho similar is not the same and has differences

there have been many changes to the look of CF and yours doesnt have a drop down (dare i say it lol) so it definatly isnt the same
          .______
          | '_ |__\___
          [(o)|___(o)] XB
          ._________
          | I__I I_I|_\__I
          [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

I don't think that you need a permission to release it, since it is an imitation. You could explain it in a readme file that it is imitated on the work of . . .

EDIT: oh, I forgot: nice RR skin !!!
            Project BioHazardous Material || BioHazard . LU
            ████████████████░░░░ CAR
            ████████████░░░░░░░░ LAPTOP
            █████████████░░░░░░░ FRONT-END SKIN
            ██████████████░░░░░░ PERIPHERALS
            ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ INTEGRATION

Comment

looks awesome
              releaaaaaaaaase it

Comment

i say release it and if david says to pull it then pull it no harm no foul
                .______
                | '_ |__\___
                [(o)|___(o)] XB
                ._________
                | I__I I_I|_\__I
                [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

Yeah release it,
                  P4 Celeron 2.2 - 512MB - OPUS 250 - Audigy SE - BU353 - HQCT - No Speakers though :-(

Comment

my first thought is i cant wait for you to release it cause i always steal the good **** from your skins to add to mc2.0
                    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

OH MY GOD!!!!
                      Release this thing......you have a gift...why waste it!!!!
                      ...you know, that guy...

Comment

I would release it for the following reasons:
                        1. It seems to me that the value in software of this nature, lies in the code, not in the graphics. Otherwise, the apps would not be skinnable! You aren't copying his app.
                        2. you didn't take his work and copy it... You made your own version of it, for a different piece of software altogether.
                        3. You aren't selling it, nor competing with centrafuse in a non-profit fashion.

Then again, if you have any qualms about it, just ask david...
                        Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

release that shiiit
                          [M10K][TinyXP][Roadrunner Frontend][OEM Enclosure]
                          [iGmon]
                          Download MP3 MixTapes

Comment

well, ive "converted" the centrafuse skin to rr (still wip...) and asked flux about releasing it, but the didnt give me any solid answer...
                            a simple yes or no would have done it... :| seriously, how hard can that be...?
                            anyways... i think you should release it cdr, you are makeing your own centrafuse inspirated RR skin...

Comment

I think it looks bloody awesome... but only release it if you're still going to finish RAD... that one is still my favourite
                              2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
                              Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
                              Install Status: DONE

My XM FAQ

Comment

Working...
                              X