No announcement yet.

Nexus for RR?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nexus for RR?

With all the cloning of CF, I'm surprised no one has cloned the most popular add-on skin for CF: JIT's Nexus skin. The layout works a ton better than the default CF skin IMHO. Blue isn't the perfect color for my car, but I like the look and feel of it so much better than Onyx black/white/blue (the default RR skins) that I am willing to overlook the color clash (blue isn't that bad in my car anyway).

So the question is: Do people in the RR community like the Nexus skin?

If it gets ported to RR and done very well (like Freedom or FuseRunner) will people out there consider using it as their primary skin?

What about the colors, is blue ok, or would most people prefer a black/red/gray version?

Thanks for any feedback.

I think the layout's fine but the graphics are kind of boring.

And i would vote for black since it matches my car!

I have already cloned it for my own personal use. However when I asked justin if I could release it he said that he does not want me to due to current business reasons (which I will not state, unless justin allows me to). He said I may release it as soon as the company makes a decision (about a month). So look for it being released soon in multiple colors (as long as I get justin's approval)!
      '96 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 LT1 Convertible
      P3 Mobile 1.2GHz/512MB RAM/Dual HD/Lilliput/Soundblaster
      XP MCE/RR/IG

'02 Grand Am
      CarPC Coming Soon!

RoadFuse - CF Like Day & Night Skin Combo

any news on that clone?

I'll tell you why nobody cloned it.. cuz it's fugly !!
          Current Setup

Nexus 7 Tablet
          Built in head unit
          Brutus 1500Watt Amp
          Two Boston 12" subs

2006 Infiniti M45 Sport ;) My 4 door Camaro... lol

Originally posted by NRGZ28 View Post
            I'll tell you why nobody cloned it.. cuz it's fugly !!
            Too you its ugly but not to others! Many seem to like it! I Do as well...Dont hate on other members work, keep that to yourself....
            2002 Mitsubishi Galant
            Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
            Via M10K
            512mb Ram
            60GB HDD
            Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
            OPUS ITX PC Case

I don't think it's ugly...

I think it's a GREAT skin... Very simple, good UI and everything. Problem is I don't think you will get permission from the author as I noticed he is pretty particular about other companies using his skin. Granted RR is not a "company" and would not profit in any way from his design.

Personally, I think that someone should just make their own LEXUS clone not NEXUS. Then there would be no issues at all... after all the nexus skin is based off of the Lexus in car navigation system to begin with. The design is soooo simple... and once you have the layer style for the buttons and the background, the rest would be cake. (or pumpkin pie for october) yum....
                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy Benjamin Franklin

i think it looks cool, clean, and has a stock oem feeling. Isnt Nexus really the only real custom skin made for CF?

"The layout works a ton better than the default CF skin IMHO."
                  isnt the layout exactly the same pretty much? I thought that was a limitation of CF that you couldnt add any ole button you wanted on any screen, like you can do in RR.
                  01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                  01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                  mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

I love the skin. I don't like clutter and buttons and layout seem exactly what I wanted. Too bad I don't have any artistic skills. thunderdepot said he's done it and was waiting for premission. That's why I asked. I'd use it for sure

Originally posted by DiNASTY View Post
                      Personally, I think that someone should just make their own LEXUS clone not NEXUS. Then there would be no issues at all... after all the nexus skin is based off of the Lexus in car navigation system to begin with.
                      I agree 100%. The default Lexus "skin" would be very easy to duplicate, as Justin has done (I seriously doubt he got "permission" form Lexus to copy their GUI). As far as graphics, All that is needed is a background, and about 4 differnet button sizes, that are simple PhotoShop bevels. Then placing text/icons on the buttons.

Anyone with just very basic photoshop skils could duplicate the look of that skin easily. Then you could decide on what colors to use from scratch.
                      Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Who cares about justin?? He clones the lexus skin for CF then gets fussy when someone wants to clone it for RR? I would release it just because of his stupidity and to prove it doesn't pay to be a hypocrite.

IMO opinion though the lexus skin is pretty boring. I do like the OEM lexus system though, you can lookup a GPS destination with a phone number!
                        Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) -

I can't be bothered with silly arguments.... the bottom line is this:

-I spent an enormous amount of time building this skin from scratch.
                          -I did not make use of any art files from 'Lexus'.
                          -I only mimic the basic button coloring and background.

And finally, if anyone wants to make a similar skin to my Nexus, from scratch, then so be it. I even posted basic templates in PSD format so people can get started. The layout of Nexus is pretty similar to the basic CF skin, so if you get in trouble for copying the CF layout, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN, and I do not condone it.

Now leave me alone!
                          2002 Honda CR-V
                          Carputer progress: 90% [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ -]
                          Spent so far: $1105.90

Download the NEXUS Skin for Centrafuse
                          ...or even Listen to my music

you guys are crazy in this forum. I am always entertained.

LOL, that's ok JIT, you still have one RR user (CF convert) that appreciates and respects your work

Is your name really Justin? I never picked that up. It makes your nick even cooler

How's CF going? Still delayed releases with old bugs? Have you tried RR with the Freedom skin? It is a very easy change-over from CF, it works solid without bugs, and it is 100% customizable (just via txt/ini/skin files rather than being able to set it up from within the FE ...CF's strongest feature next to the media-manager differences and supporting ID3 album-art).