Help needed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed.

I guess I should just admit that I am an idiot because I cant make a skin at all.

Every time I put any skin into RR, and then try to remove even one single button, label, anything, I get an error messgage saying the folder doesnt contain a valid skin.

I have tried every skin from the most complex to the simplest.

What am I doing wrong? At this point I have considerable time(about a year), effort and money invested in this project. I have designed my own skins jpgs, and have read just about everything in this forum, bookmarked what appears to be relevant to my project.

I am going out of my mind on what should be the most simple part of the whole deal. If I was doing something with hard coding or experimenting I would under stand this.

But I cant even remove one item from an existing skin without the error.

Please help an idiot.

Originally posted by Tzunami View Post
    I guess I should just admit that I am an idiot because I cant make a skin at all.

Every time I put any skin into RR, and then try to remove even one single button, label, anything, I get an error messgage saying the folder doesnt contain a valid skin.

I have tried every skin from the most complex to the simplest.

What am I doing wrong? At this point I have considerable time(about a year), effort and money invested in this project. I have designed my own skins jpgs, and have read just about everything in this forum, bookmarked what appears to be relevant to my project.

I am going out of my mind on what should be the most simple part of the whole deal. If I was doing something with hard coding or experimenting I would under stand this.

But I cant even remove one item from an existing skin without the error.

Please help an idiot.
    Are you ever able to use a Skin, even an unmodded skin. Have you tried using the skin editor?

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Yes Michael

Yes.

I can use any unmodded skin I want but once I use the Skin editor to remove even a label or button or anything, I get the error, saying the skin is not a valid skin.

Very frustrating.

Comment

hmm, normally RR only complains about skind when either the general.ini in the skin file is corrupt/missing or the menu.skin is corrupt or missing.

if any other skin is corrupt or missing it will try to ignore it and you end up with a column in the middle with a pink square at the top.

Comment

Hi Tzunami,

have you tried to do a change without the skin editor ?

You only need to use notepad to do this, and it will help you track down what skineditor is doing to your skin !

Just open the menu.skin file and change a label name then save it and fire up rr. The change should work fine. Then try and do the same change in skin editor, and save the file. Exit skineditor and open up menu.skin with notepad and check the difference.

I do most of my skin changes these days using an external editor (SCITE is my preferred choice) as I have started to use the INC files function, to keep the skins simpler.

I used to use pRoFiT's skin editor v0.3.019, and that worked a treat.

cheers
          KPJUK
          M1000, 512MB, 512MB CF, 6GB Disk (4200rpm),
          DVD/RW, Dynamix 8" screen, M2-ATX, Custom case,Too many hours building and rebuilding and rebuild.......

Comment

More Details

Well I removed RR from my PC and reloaded everything.
            Then used skin Editor to remove the single SWF in BAV2.
            Got the error.

I will try removing the skin editor and reload it.
            I will also try the notepad edit tonight.

thanks

Comment

Hello m8,

can you post a copy of the menu.skin file after you have removed the Flash logo. That might give an insight into why you are getting the error message.

cheers
              KPJUK
              DVD/RW, Dynamix 8" screen, M2-ATX, Custom case,Too many hours building and rebuilding and rebuild.......

Comment

It sounds like the problem i had recently.
                I had to format due to a drive failure,i downloaded skineditor from a thread in search.
                It turns out it was an unfinished mod version.
                It worked ok but when when it saved the skin it saved as RoadRunner skin file instead of the usual MediaCar skin file.

Check these lines exist at the top of the skin files you modify=

MEDIACAR Skin
                MEDIACAR "Screen Name" Skin

and not

ROADRUNNER Skin
                ROADRUNNER "Screen Name" Skin
                P4 2.8 HT, 512Mb Ram, 60Gb 2.5 HD, M4-ATX, SB Audigy2, BU353, Lilliput TS,Soundgraph Imon VFD,SONY Optiarc dvd Burner,RideRunner, iGo8, Custom Freedom 2.1

Comment

Good point mate,it was the RRMobile skin i was working on.
                  Well spotted.
                  P4 2.8 HT, 512Mb Ram, 60Gb 2.5 HD, M4-ATX, SB Audigy2, BU353, Lilliput TS,Soundgraph Imon VFD,SONY Optiarc dvd Burner,RideRunner, iGo8, Custom Freedom 2.1

Comment

here it is - After removal with Skin Editor 3.1 - BAV2

ROADRUNNER Skin
                    ROADRUNNER MainMenu Skin
                    menu_off.jpg,menu_off.jpg,menu_on.jpg,menu_down.jp g

/, B, x, y, w, h, Command;COMMANDCODES, Tooltip
                    B01,11,73,339,106,"AUDIO","Audio player"
                    B02,348,70,104,75,"CDRIP","Rip CD"
                    B03,451,73,339,106,"VIDEO","Video player"
                    B04,11,186,296,106,"RADIO",""
                    B05,494,181,296,116,"DVD",""
                    B06,11,305,339,106,"XM",""
                    B07,348,335,102,75,"WEB",""
                    B08,451,303,339,106,"GPS","GPS"
                    B09,10,416,150,110,"PHOCO",""
                    B10,160,425,65,90,"MUTE","Mute"
                    B11,226,427,63,88,"VOL-","Volume-"
                    B12,515,426,63,89,"VOL+","Volume+"
                    B13,581,425,61,90,"MIXER","Mixer settings"
                    B14,643,415,145,110,"TV",""
                    B15,10,530,156,70,"SKIN","Appearance"
                    B16,166,530,156,70,"GAMMA","Gamma mode"
                    B17,320,530,160,70,"LAUNCH",""
                    B18,480,530,155,70,"MINIMIZE",""
                    B19,633,530,156,70,"EXIT","Exit"

/, S, x, y, w, h, x1, y1, w1, h1, O, Style, Pointer file path, h2, Code;SLIDERCODES, Tooltip
                    S01,290,466,223,35,290,466,223,35,H,01,"POINTER2.g if",013,"MASTER","Master"

/, I, x, y, w, h, Code;INDICATORCODES
                    I01,185,455,30,35,"MUTE:b"

/, L, x, y, w, h, color R;RGB, G, B, font size;FONT, font name, Code;LABELCODES, Tooltip;LABELALIGNMENT
                    L10,165,15,470,45,255,255,0,26,"Arial Narrow:B","TRACKNAME","SCROLL-CENTER"
                    L00,415,440,50,30,255,255,255,13,"Arial Narrow:B","VOLUME","Volume"
                    L01,30,10,135,30,255,255,255,18,"Arial Narrow:B","TIME","Time"
                    L02,30,40,135,30,255,255,255,18,"Arial Narrow:B","DATE",""
                    L03,660,10,50,30,255,255,255,18,"Arial Narrow:B","=Car:", ""
                    L04,710,10,80,30,128,255,128,18,"Arial Narrow:B","TEMP1", ""
                    L05,660,40,50,30,255,255,255,18,"Arial Narrow:B","=Out:", ""
                    L06,710,40,80,30,128,255,128,18,"Arial Narrow:B","TEMP2", ""

/, F, x, y, w, h, Movie name

END

Comment

Hi Tzunami,

having had a quick look, the problem you have is you need a carriage return after the END statement. RR seems to only read lines terminated with carriage return and line feed.

The error message is because it hasn't registered the END statement, which is a mandatory skin command.

I haven't seen skin editor 3.1, so I don'y know if it is this that is removing the end of line markers.

cheers
                      KPJUK

Comment

Thanks

I will give it a shot.

Comment

Still not working right!

I went home last night and added a carriage return to the skin code, and no effect. Stilkl would not work.

I loaded the skin again and it worked fine.
                          I then removed a button from the skin via notepad and it still worked fine.

Then went back to the Skin editor v0.3.1 and removed the same button.
                          Guess what? I still got the "not a valid skin" Error.

I think I will probably remove the skin editor and roll back to an earlier version and hope for the best.

I really loved the new skin editor for the drag the buttons functionallity but I guess there is always a trade off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

The drag the button functionality is in pRoFiTs version 0.3.019. This also has a virtual editor in it that is really useful.

Download it from here.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ghlight=pRoFiT

and give it a try. This is the one that I used to use.

cheers
                            KPJUK

Comment

Working...
                            X