My First Skin Concept: Windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Skin Concept: Windows 7

I am currently building a carputer for my STi, and I haven't really found anything that I like as far as FE skin's. I am a Engineer with a minor in computer programming, so I love Ride Runner and all its flexibility. I have been reading and learning about skinning for the past week, and have just now started building.

Here is my first concept for this skin Now there are going to be some changes, but I think you can get the idea of where I am going. This will be the home screen.

Here is the newest edit based on your suggestions

The arrows by the album are are going to allow the user to switch between Album Art, or a serious of visualizations. The play button indicates the style when the buttons are pressed. Also, I going to allow for more little modules similar to the Weather and Valentine 1 software. This will allow the user to customize their layout with various little modules, by clicking these modules, they will expand to full screen. Just give the user enough information on the lock screen to satisfy almost 95% of the requests, then if they want more, that is always an option. Thanks for all the input so far! It has really helped me find a direction.

OFF

I am trying to decide whether or not to include the transparent white underlay on the task bar. The above picture is without, the below picture is with let me know what you think. It's just a subtle change, but it really does change the feel of the page. I also forget to turn of the indicators in the picture above. I can assure they will be off like below :P

OFF white task bar:

ON:

Crap I just whipped this up and I think I already like it better
    Okay well what one should I continue on?? Concept #1 above, or Concept #2 below?
    The internet explore icon is the idea for the down Position of the buttons, the two side things are just kinda throw in there for now. I don't know if that's how I really want the modules laid out??? Last update for the night. Changed back to gadget theme, and used a different glow to get rid of the wedges due to RR being laid out in Rectangles.

And here is this concept pushed to the left, per request from NSFW. Let me know what you all think.

The controls for the media player are far, far too small.

That and I think there's a lot of wasted space displaying so much of the background.

It looks pretty, but not very practical.

Any reason why you posted the same screenshot twice?
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      Any reason why you posted the same
      screenshot twice?
      They are not the same. The OFF image has no borders between icons in the top bar.

However, you just proved even more that this is not practical

Comment

Thanks for that. Definitely easy to miss the subtle difference!
        And yeah, any indicator of anything (don't know what's supposed to be ON or OFF) needs to be patently obvious.
        If it's something you have to look at closely, it simply doesn't work for in-car use.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by ihateafropaul View Post
          I am currently building a carputer for my STi, and I haven't really found anything that I like as far as FE skin's. I am a Engineer with a minor in Program so I love Ride Runner and all its flexibility. I have been reading and learning about skin for the past week, and have just now started building.

Here is my first concept for this skin Now there are going to be some changes, but I think you can get the idea of where I am going. This will be the home screen.

OFF

ON
          I suggest the buttons to be bigger, because sometimes you have to press buttons while car is moving.

Comment

...And place them on the side closest to the driver...
            OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
            Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
            Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
            BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
            M2-ATX Power Supply
            RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
            Windows XP SP3

Comment

Like I said it is just my concept, I don't have a screen here yet so its hard for me to really tell how big the buttons and everything are actually going to be.

As far as the on and off screen, the only things I have stylized are the program icons for now

Comment

Originally posted by treetop777 View Post
                That's a good idea. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by treetop777 View Post

I disagree on that one actually.

I prefer having the buttons away from me, that way I don't block the screen with my hand when pressing buttons

Comment

I really like the concept! but, I think the media buttons should stay at the bottom of the screen and be there for every screen, seems like the most economical place in my opinion. maybe if you move the media info module to left and make it a lil bigger that would be nice (bigger album art and text!). You can keep the right side for the smaller modules like u have already. This configuration would give you the ability to add a navigation info module, or anything actually... OBD2, Calendar, PC info, RSS, just whatever ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by ws6vert View Post
                      I really like the concept! but, I think the media buttons should stay at the bottom of the screen and be there for every screen, seems like the most economical place in my opinion. maybe if you move the media info module to left and make it a lil bigger that would be nice (bigger album art and text!). You can keep the right side for the smaller modules like u have already. This configuration would give you the ability to add a navigation info module, or anything actually... OBD2, Calendar, PC info, RSS, just whatever ya know?
                      Hey thanks for the input! I was actually thinking about doing this My idea was a little different, but I think I like yours better. I am going to work on individual screens for the time being, but take this to heart when I come back to the main/menu screen.

I am still learning and have never had a CarPC, so I am kinda just going off what looks and feels good in photoshop, I know its going to be a whole different world when I get it on the 7" touch screen.

Also if anyone knows of a skin that they really like the layout and feel of, let me know, and give me some suggestions of why you like it! Thanks all!

Comment

Glad to help, one last thing I notice for the main screen, you may want to replace the IE icon with HD Radio, as that is a very popular feature, and maybe add like an arrow that will allow the top bar to change to a different set of icons for other screens such as Internet and whatever else users would want. Does the big Windows button have a purpose at the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by ws6vert View Post
                          Glad to help, one last thing I notice for the main screen, you may want to replace the IE icon with HD Radio, as that is a very popular feature, and maybe add like an arrow that will allow the top bar to change to a different set of icons for other screens such as Internet and whatever else users would want. Does the big Windows button have a purpose at the moment?
                          The big windows button is going to open a settings screen, you will be able to change the background, hibernate, lock, shut down, all that stuff.

You can see I left a little space between the last icon and the time container. I am going to put a ">" there, that will switch to the next batch of icons (HD radio, traffic cams, gas prices, movie times, XM, I haven't really decided yet, but, we are on the same page

Comment

Sounds good, I saw your white concept above... looks good as a possible Day-Skin, I prefer the Black, and it will function well for a night skin.

Comment

I like the black as well... as far as day and night go, do you think just dimming the screen is a good solution or should I make the black/white theme carry through?

Comment

Working...
                              X