Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scifi skin (don't really have a name for it yet)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scifi skin (don't really have a name for it yet)

Hey everyone,
    here is a sort of scifi type skin I'm working on. I'm currently still roughing out the layout in photoshop but here is what I have so far. Let me know what you think! ^^

Also, how important do you think it is to have a visualizer? I'll try to get a few more pictures up soon.
    Attached Files

like it
    Current:
    [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
    [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
      First thoughts, not a lot of contrast, might be difficult to see during the day.
      +1 although I like the concept.

Comment

nice!

I was wondering when someone would come up with a startrek like skin

Comment

Originally posted by SapporoGuy View Post
          nice!

I was wondering when someone would come up with a startrek like skin
          There have been about 3 attempts at LCars ones, but none have ever really been finished.

Comment

@ lcars
            oh well....

@skin
            the contrast looks better ... did you fix it?

Comment

@ lcars
              oh well....

@skin
              the contrast looks better ... did you fix it?
              Hey all, sorry for the delay I've been a bit busy with a website but am still activley working on this project.
              I haven't fixed the contrast yet but I think maybe just darkening the background may help it a lot. I'll post a few more pics today showing the skin which will help to explain a few things.Thanks for all your comments so far keep em coming!

Comment

just a few thoughts...

Will the volume be slider controlled? If so, what you have might be a tad bit slow.
                I like the wifi and bluetooth logo location but ... that real estate might be used more effectively if you used all that space for something else.

Comment

The volume is controlled by those plus and minus buttons. The slider is just to show the volume level.

Comment

Alright, so I figured I'd give a bit of an update as to what I'm working on and hopefully clarify some of your questions. What I've mainly been hearing so far is that there isn't enough contrast and some people are confused about the skin. So, to start off, I'll try to clear up some of the confusion with the skin itself.

Okay so here is my best at explaining some of the skins features and how they work.
                    • The volume slider is only an indicator. It won't actually be used for controlling the volume levels. That is the job of the buttons below it, mute, vol-, and vol+. (left to right)
                    • The buttons light up when they are pressed with the exception of the mute, loop, and shuffle buttons which toggle on and off to let you know what's active.
                    • The play controls work the same way any other would except the the next and prev buttons can also be used to scan through the current song. You can also use the song slider at the top of the screen to scan through the track.
                    • As far as the info bar is concerned, I'm thinking of displaying other things such as time or drop an eq or browse button in there as well. Any thoughts?

Okay so now that that's all cleared up, onward to the progress section! Here is a bit of a rough sketch.

Overall, I'm trying to keep the skin very intuitive and simple. Most buttons will have multiple purposes depending on where you are keeping clutter to a minimum. I do not have a car or car pc right now so I cannot test it on a touch screen but I will release a beta version of it and maybe a few of you can test it?

Lastly, I'd just like to ask a few questions and thank everyone for their inputs so far. It really means a lot to see that people are interested. Alright so here goes it!
                    1. Okay, so the contrast problem. What exactly isn't contrasting properly? Is it between the buttons and the background or what? I'm still a bit confused as to what isn't looking right.
                    2. The empty space underneath the info bar. What would go nice there? I was sort of thinking album art but am not quite sure.
                    3. As for flash, I know how to make animations but when implementing them into the skin itself and starting RR is there a way to get them to automatically play? I'm not too good on the programming side of this so some help would be great. Basically I'm not looking to animate any buttons just some movement in the background to make things look a bit more lively.
                    Sorry for the huge post and your comments are appreciated. I really didn't mean for it to get this big I just couldn't stop typing!

Comment

looks awesome, love the sleek minimal layout.

Comment

Originally posted by Justplanecrazy View Post
                        Okay, so the contrast problem. What exactly isn't contrasting properly? Is it between the buttons and the background or what? I'm still a bit confused as to what isn't looking right.
                        You don't have a car or carputer yet. When you get a car with a carputer, you will see that with everything being dark, in a bright sunny car, you will not see anything on the screen at all. No contrast means very little difference between the backgrounds and the text. Light backgrounds with dark text or vise versa offer the best contrast.

The empty space underneath the info bar. What would go nice there? I was sort of thinking album art but am not quite sure.
                        I haven't looked closely enough at this yet.

As for flash, I know how to make animations but when implementing them into the skin itself and starting RR is there a way to get them to automatically play? I'm not too good on the programming side of this so some help would be great. Basically I'm not looking to animate any buttons just some movement in the background to make things look a bit more lively.
                        The best thing to do here is to download other flash skins. DFX has a gauges screen that has 3 flash objects in it. This way you can copy and paste the code into your skin and see how it shows up and how to modify etc. That is the best way to learn for me.
                        CAR: 2007 G35 Sport Coupe 5AT
                        HARDWARE: Dell D630 w/ dock, internal 80G HD, internal 320G HD, Verizon Wireless Card, iBlue GM-2 GPS w/iGuidance, OBDPros w/DashCommand, Visteon HD Radio w/ Home Made Cable, Current Version of RR w/ DFX Skin. My Install.

Comment

Working...
                        X