Major Release Prep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Release Prep

For this major release scheduled for Mid-April...are there any significant hardware changes you would recommend. Is the new update going to be much harder on the processor then prev version?
    Engineering....Where the unknowing teach the unwilling the unnecessary.

no - your current hardware will be fine.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

do u guys have any ETA, when will the bluetooth hardware that supports the phone for streetdeck will be available. I would like to order ahead of time before the release.

Comment

eta on the release date? it will be a few days after the G4 is released (April 16th).

On the hardware, I cannot give a for sure because we're still working out some details with it.
        Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

will the G4 have that new update already installed?

Comment

yes.
            Jan Bennett

Comment

Is it possible for SD to come up with a rating system for your hardware...very similar to the vista rating scale....I think a tool like this would be INVALUABLE TO the end user!!!!

Comment

rating system for the hardware?

how do you mean?

something where we would have to manually go through and test the software on every piece of hardware out there and rate how well it works?

I simply don't see this being a wise use of out time currently. StreetDeck works extremely well on the hardware it was designed to be used on. The T3 and the G4 as well as the vMod currently.

We simply cannot test the possible combinations out there and rate them all.
                Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post

how do you mean?

something where we would have to manually go through and test the software on every piece of hardware out there and rate how well it works?

I simply don't see this being a wise use of out time currently. StreetDeck works extremely well on the hardware it was designed to be used on. The T3 and the G4 as well as the vMod currently.

No the way Vista does it is just run a simple benchmark on the video card and processor. Then it grades your system based off a preset minimum requirements. Really simple and useless.
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

In that case, then no. I cannot see the development team integrating a benchmark test into the software.
                    Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post

how do you mean?

What's the vmod?

Comment

vMod is a system that is produced by Vizualogic. It's a rear seat infotainment system.

You can find out more about it here: http://www.streetdeck.com/node/46
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by jAyRoCkS24r View Post
                          Is it possible for SD to come up with a rating system for your hardware...very similar to the vista rating scale....I think a tool like this would be INVALUABLE TO the end user!!!!
                          Brilliant

Yeah their priority is to write an app. that tells you that your h/w is insufficient when you could buy something from them that is.

Comment

Originally posted by jAyRoCkS24r View Post
                            Well unlike Vista, StreetDeck has a free demo that you can download that will show you exactly how well it works. So if you already have the hardware, you can see how well it works before you purchase it.

If you want to buy the best hardware for StreetDeck to run on, in general, it would be an Infill or VMOD. This may not be the fastest or the cheapest solution, generally speaking, typical desktop hardware is both faster and cheaper then what is sold on MP3Car, but it sucks for use in cars because of the subtle issues like power management capabilities, size, ease of installation, and general temperature and mechanical robustness that are not easily measurable by automated programs.

In terms of just generic motherboards and processors (in other words the things that determine performance)
                            A VIA M10K is about the minimum specs you'll want to run StreetDeck on and is what I would call the minimum required specs.
                            A VIA SP13000 does a much better job and I would call the minimum recommended specs.
                            Anything Intel with a 915G graphics card or better should have no problem running anything and is significantly better then the Unichrome graphics processor in the SP13000.
                            I haven't seen any newish graphics card from ATI or Nividia that didn't have exceptional performance in StreetDeck, how good the card is for use in the extreme car enviornment is another question though.

512MB of ram, no more, no less is your best bet.
                            StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                            Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                            The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Originally posted by StaggRLee View Post
                              Brilliant

Yeah their priority is to write an app. that tells you that your h/w is insufficient when you could buy something from them that is.
                              My experience is that they wouldn't take advantage of it. The team is very smart and helpful and caring about the community.

Comment

Working...
                              X