Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you get 5.1 channel audio out of steetdeck?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you get 5.1 channel audio out of steetdeck?

Here's the problem, I just bought an external USB 5.1 channel audio soundcard.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...b&fr=yfp-t-501

Now i have each one of the 3 outputs (Front left/right, Rear left/right, and Center/Sub) from the Zalman USB audio device going to the three separate inputs on a 5 channel amp. Now if i play a DVD via say WINDVD (not streetdeck), i get all of my outputs as i should. However if I play a song on streetdecks music interface, i only get my front left and right audio and not the rear or the sub. I believe this is because the music is encoded as 2 channel PCM audio, 2 channel MP3, etc... Hence thats why i only get the front left and right. The audio is not distributed to the rear and sub...How can i have it so i can get music on all my speakers via an external sound card?

I have a different sound card(on board infill 3) but to enable regular audio to go to all 5.1 channels such as an mp3 you need to turn on "Audio Expander". Each vendor seems to have a different wording for it, but it should be described as some type of "Stereo Sound Expander". In windows open up the audio control panel and look for some type of setting under advanced. Some times it is called Magic 5.1. On my setup it has a speaker test that lets you play a drum beat in each channel to confirm your all set.

I would play an mp3 using windows media player first to confirm you got it working. Once its working in windows then open streetdeck and give it a try. I have issues with Streetdeck resetting the audio channels when I exit, but thats another story....
    Mitsubishi Eclipse 2006 GT
    Infill T3 running StreetDeck

Comment

Well when i go to Control Pannels 'Sounds and Audio Devices", i select the "Audio" tab. Under "Audio", I look at "Sound Playback" and see my sound card. It says "USB Sound". I then click on advanced and at the bottom there is "speaker setup". Theres a host of options hear but i selected "5.1 speakers". And still nothing on the rear and sub. You mentioned, "On my setup it has a speaker test that lets you play a drum beat in each channel to confirm your all set." Is this the setup of your soundcard or a setup in windows?

Comment

That setup is usually something that the soundcard manufacturer will provide. I have the magic 5.1 thing, but I stopped using the 5.1 because it never worked properly for me either so I just routed it all a different way - 2 channel.

Comment

I just noticed my amp, an MBQuart PAB 5400 5 channel amp, has a mode where you can put it in 2 channel and it will route all 5 amplifier inputs from the Ch1/ch2 (Front Left/Right) RCA jacks. So that's one route. I also noticed that the Sound Blaster Live 24 Bit external sound card has 5.1 outputs on 3 mini jacks and it has software that upmixes 2ch audio to 5.1. Soundblaster terms this upmix as "CMSS". Route 2. Decisions, decisions, decisions......

Comment

Check this website...its got screen shots of the zalman software...I believe the pictures show how to configure 5.1 expanded.

http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/za...c/zmrssc_3.htm
            Attached Files
            Mitsubishi Eclipse 2006 GT
            Infill T3 running StreetDeck

Comment

Working...
            X